Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have bought my 2016 CRV EX AWD about a month & half ago. Odo just crossed 1000 miles and the average MPG is around 23 (has been consistent around that mark for last 800+ miles).
60-65% of the miles are in city traffic. I am generally a conservative driver - no sudden accelerations and hard braking; dont go beyond 65-70 mph on highways.
Is this normal? I heard about breaking-in period - when can I expect to get closer to EPA estimates (26-27)? Should I use ECON or not?

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
My 2014 averages 23 MPH. Probably about the same % of city driving. I tried the ECON mode, it made no difference and reduced gas pedal response time. I don't use ECON, just don't like the lack of power. I don't think you'll get better mph. The various amount of traffic and stop lights in different cities makes a mph difference.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
It's the city driving that is killing your mpg. It will do better on the hwy, but that's all you're going to get in the city.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,647 Posts
It's the city driving that is killing your mpg. It will do better on the hwy, but that's all you're going to get in the city.

You can see if it's the city driving by:

Fill up with gas...then take a trip of at least 100 miles. Fill up again on the way home.

I bet your MPG will be more to your liking...

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I have a 16 EX-L AWD and my fuel mileage is different. I live in the sticks so there is very little city driving in my normal driving. I have crooked mountain roads. My overall mileage on a tank of gas is 27-28 with maybe 20% of it on the interstate and a lot of short trips. I get 33-34 on our hilly interstate. Last week, I drove 100 miles on a trip that was strictly on crooked mountain roads and it averaged 30 MPG. My prior car was a 2011 Kia Optima with a 2.4. I had planned on getting 2-3 less MPH with the AWD but in practice, the fuel mileage is about 1 MPG better in overall fuel mileage and about 1 MPG less on the interstate. I balances out to be a wash. I have been very pleased. I bought the car slightly used with 6,800 miles on it and I now have a little over 11,000.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the responses. But I see enough posts on this topic where, even within city, the mpg reported is significantly more. Same with Fuelly (avg 27). Not everyone would be driving on highways all-the-time, would they?

·
Registered
141 Posts
MPG ratings are very subjective. Keep in mind that “city driving” encompasses a huge range of conditions. A suburban town and a sprawling urban center are both considered “city driving”.
I live in NYC and I get about 23mpg as you can see from my Fuelly sig.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Thanks for the responses. But I see enough posts on this topic where, even within city, the mpg reported is significantly more. Same with Fuelly (avg 27). Not everyone would be driving on highways all-the-time, would they?
I know in my '13 with all city driving we tend to average about 22-24 mpg's. However, my wife has occasionally got it down to 18 mpg on a tank. We just came back from a trip to the mountains completely loaded with a bike rack and bikes plus luggage and dogs going 75-80 on the hwy and averaged 32 mpg's.

·
Registered
141 Posts
By the way, note that Fuelly users are not indicative of the general population. Compared to everyone else, Fuelly users are probably more economical in the way they drive. So don’t feel too bad if you can’t match Fuelly averages.

Also, take comfort in knowing that you’re probably using less fuel by being in the city and having to drive less. Here’s the math:
Let’s assume someone who drives 12000 miles a year (a fairly conservative number) gets 27mpg. That means, he uses about 444.44 gallons a year.
You drove 1000 miles in 1.5 months. Extrapolating that to a year means you’ll drive 8000 miles. Because you drive in the city, your efficiency suffers and you only get 23mpg. That means you’ll use about 347.83 gallons a year.

So you’re less efficient than most, but you’re also using less fuel overall which is the whole point anyway.
Also, at $2.20 a gallon, you’ll save $212.56 a year. So there’s that. Cheer up!

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Short journeys kill mpg. Heavy AC use kills mpg. Stop start kills mpg. There is no escape from that reality. On some CRVs you can monitor mpg instaneously and the results especially in the first mile are scary and educational.
My fuelly is high and gets better on the interstate. Start running around town mpg crumbles.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I get about 34 on highway trips, if I have a light foot, and about 25 in the city. I do mostly city driving, with windows open or AC on, and average about 26-27 per tank. (this is with a 2015, which the same as a 2016) The system information screen on the head unit can tell you the past 3 or 4 tank averages, if interested.

I don't think you are that far off from expected, nor did I notice much a difference from new till now. One of ours has about 4500 miles, the other just hit 10k.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,647 Posts
Playing Pokemon Go reduces my MPG by 2 (10%). :mad: My wife is addicted....:(

·
Everything in Moderation
7,647 Posts
Just to be clear, it's her in the passenger seat that's playing, not me (the driver).

But, I have to slow down so that she can collect and throw the balls at the Pokemons...and stop to battle at all the gyms. <SIGH>
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
I use the "B" trip mileage to give me an idea about my MPH. Just checked and for 5000 miles since last oil change, I'm averaging 24.5 MPG. I think it's pretty good for driving around Virginia Beach. (2014 EX-L 2WD)

·
Super Moderator
3,201 Posts
Discovered another way to make your mpg worse. Accidentally select sport mode and do 65 on the interstate.......

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I use the "B" trip mileage to give me an idea about my MPH. Just checked and for 5000 miles since last oil change, I'm averaging 24.5 MPG. I think it's pretty good for driving around Virginia Beach. (2014 EX-L 2WD)
I set my B trip mileage to zero when I bought my car and I have left it to check my overall average. I bought my 16 EX-L AWD with 6,800 miles on it and I now have over 11,000 on it. My overall average since I bought the car is 29.5. No city mileage as I don't live near a city and a few trips.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:
We just completed a day's outing which included 300 mile round-trip. Mostly highway, with the final 10-12 miles of stop-go traffic each way near the beach (and some idling to load/unload/park etc). Loaded car. Avg mpg is 31+. Should say I'm satisfied with that.
Hopefully the mpg in city traffic can pickup 2-3 miles, after the first oil change :)

·
Registered
98 Posts
My '16 EX-L has about 1300 miles on it, and I'm getting about about 24 to 24.5 mpg. At first, I was highly disappointed. Then when I thought about it, it made sense. It's about 90-95% city driving. A/C is on all the time. I drive about 15 miles each way to work, with just a small bit of highway driving involved. What really kills the mpg is on the way home, I hit at least two spots, sometimes three, where the traffic is backed up, stop and go. Sometimes for a 1/4 mile in each spot, sometimes 1/2 mile. So maybe I'm lucky to be getting as much as 24 mpg under those circumstances.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Always keep your Fuel Tank Full, Refuel when fuel level is below 75-85% to reduce fuel emission. Fuel pump use liquid gasoline as coolant to dissipate heat. Gasoline initial Boiling Point 100 °F. Observe how fast your range in miles drop while idling when fuel level is low, it's dropping very fast every few minutes.

Install a Brake Pad Drag Reduction Clip to avoid dragging the pads all the time. Disc Brakes don't have springs to retract the pads when brakes are not applied.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts