Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2016 EX Terrible Sounding Factory Stereo--Help!

4K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  kloker 
#1 ·
My previous car was a 2004 EX and it CAME with a 6 CD changer, Pioneer Stereo. I just upgraded, after 14 yrs, to a 2016 EX and the stereo system is TERRIBLE! I have adjusted the sound the best I can, but it sounds tinny and NOT right. Any suggestions for an Upgrade that wont break the bank? And I don't care about Navigation, I just want a fabulous sounding stereo. HELP!

#3 ·
Honda's sound systems have become worse over the last decade, victim of more cost control measures.

My 2004 Accord EX sounds amazing compared to our 18 CRV Touring. Bass is awesul, but even clarity hurt my ears at times. Its just wrenching my ears playing some songs.

Base model Acura's blow away all Honda's top end Touring models in the sound department IMO.

Toyota and Nissan are doing a MUCH better job offering very decent sound on higher tier models, without jumping into premium brands.

There are many upgrade options out there for all but 5th gen touring models. All depends on your budget.

#4 ·
I too have/had an '04 Accord EX...I thought the factory audio system sounded awful...replaced the head unit with an Alpine head unit, Memphis Audio 4 channel amp, JL audio component speakers and 10" sub...much better.
Basically did the same with my '17 V EX...oem head unit but added jl audio amp, jl audio component speakers and 10" sub.

To immediately improve the sound, replace the front speakers with a good pair of co-axials or components. Good speakers under $200 pair.
What do you mean by "fabulous sounding stereo" while yet not breaking the bank??? What is your budget???

IMO...add an amp if you like the factory head unit and don't want to lose some display stuff...use high quality components in the fronts, I don't use the rears so don't waste money on them, add a sub.

#5 ·
I must have bad hearing. My 16 Touring is possibly the best I've had, but I just don't listen to it much-except on phone calls!

#10 ·
I installed 4 Kicker 6-1/2 2-way car speakers the 44KSC6504 to be exact improved the sound but then again I did change the head unit to a Kenwood to make it sound even better on my 14 EX. My Toyota RAV4 base model sounds much better factory in every way without going aftermarket unless you want the lows .

#11 ·
I have the same issue - the stock stereo in my '07 EX-L sounds muddy and flat, no depth or range at all, yuck. My plan in the Spring is to go with the best door speakers I can afford, and a Kenwood multimedia head unit with an external amp to drive the speakers, and a small sub. I expect just the speakers would help, though. The factory speakers are cheapie paper-coned junk. The amp in the factory head unit has no power to drive anything better anyway. So I expect I will see a huge improvement when I'm done.

It's a Honda disappointment. My brother's new Camry, which is not a high end model, has a very good sounding stock setup. If Honda wants to save their market share, I think they need to up their game on stuff like this. IMO there's just no excuse for it.

#12 ·
Perhaps the T's audio is better but you can't compare the audio in dissimilar vehicles. The volume differences, placement are just to different to compare.
But the upgrade you describe will certainly improve your audio experience...good luck and keep us informed

#13 ·
Kai -
Perhaps the T's audio is better but you can't compare the audio in dissimilar vehicles. The volume differences, placement are just to different to compare.

But the upgrade you describe will certainly improve your audio experience...good luck and keep us informed.
Sure I can. I can certainly tell the difference between "got your money's worth" and didn't, regardless of a lack of similarity between vehicles. He did, I didn't. Heck, the Camry is a considerably less expensive buy in mid-level trim than an EX-L CR-V is, but the audio system is worlds better sounding. That can't be chalked up to just ergonomics. The difference in quality is simply obvious.

Of course you are right in that my coming upgrade will take me where I want to go, and leave him in the dust in the process, audio-wise. I do like his Camry, though. The interior is also very nice. My only complaint abut it would be the claustrophobic feeling I get in it. I'm used to, and prefer, more room. I also prefer no payment, which is what I have. Beauty, eh?

I've done a couple of installs in the past, nothing elaborate, but they turned out decent. I will do a thread on it when I do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.