Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright dudes, so I won some money on a scratch ticket during Christmas so I went with a radio upgrade finally. I really didn't want to loose my cameras, and after checking out some stuff on Crutchfield I found that radios with an iDataLink port should retain the cameras properly. I went ahead and ordered it all, including the $25 Ready Harness service (which I would never order another radio without) and installed it. The radio is the Pioneer DMH-1500NEX, and god damn it sounds so much better than stock. The install was fairly simple as well, I didn't have to crimp any wires or de-pin any connectors, just plugged in all the harnesses, flashed my Meastro RR module, and I was done.

Not a huge fan of how the radio sits in kind far, but other than that it's a great upgrade. Both rearview and lane watch cameras still work, just gotta figure out if I can get the radio to trigger the laneview camera on a turn signal. Backup camera worked first try with no screwing around with stuff which is exactly what I was looking for. I also retained the factory USB port in the center console, so that still works and does Android Auto.

I see a lot of these questions asked here so I thought I would make a thread about my install. Not sponsored, but Crutchfield really makes this stuff easy...

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the lane change camera doesn't come on automatically with the turn signal like stock?

I want to change the head unit to something with Android auto on our 2016 EX but I don't want to lose the backup camera and the lane change camera.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So the lane change camera doesn't come on automatically with the turn signal like stock?

I want to change the head unit to something with Android auto on our 2016 EX but I don't want to lose the backup camera and the lane change camera.

Yes that's correct. I have yet to figure out how to get the Lanewatch camera to come on with the turn signal. Maybe there is a way to do it, and I just can't figure it out? However the backup camera worked with no extra effort right out of the box, only thing that doesn't work is the different views for the backup camera, you now only get the widest view. Doesn't bother me much though.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes that's correct. I have yet to figure out how to get the Lanewatch camera to come on with the turn signal. Maybe there is a way to do it, and I just can't figure it out? However the backup camera worked with no extra effort right out of the box, only thing that doesn't work is the different views for the backup camera, you now only get the widest view. Doesn't bother me much though.
Ok thanks for the info man. Did you try to ask crutchfield about retaining lanewatch when you ordered everything?

Losing lanewatch is a deal breaker for my wife so when/if I decide to order I need to ask them and make sure they sell me a setup that keeps that feature.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks for the info man. Did you try to ask crutchfield about retaining lanewatch when you ordered everything?

Losing lanewatch is a deal breaker for my wife so when/if I decide to order I need to ask them and make sure they sell me a setup that keeps that feature.

I didn't ask them, so it's possible that there could be a way. If you do grab something from Crutchfield, sort by radio's that support iDataLink, as those seem to be the only ones that support even just the backup camera, so I would assume you'd need that for the lanewatch camera as well.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I did a check on Crutchfield, and this was one of the recommended wiring harnesses for installing a new headunit in a 2016 CR-V:

• allows installation of a new iDatalink-ready car stereo in select Honda vehicles (also requires the Maestro ADS-MRR module)
  • retains the use of your steering wheel audio controls, factory Bluetooth, and aux input, plus factory amp and secondary vehicle display (if equipped)
  • also retains your Honda backup camera and lane watch camera (if equipped)
  • displays engine data and vehicle info onscreen

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a check on Crutchfield, and this was one of the recommended wiring harnesses for installing a new headunit in a 2016 CR-V:

Yes I used that harness in my install, which is why I can still see my Lanewatch camera. I think it might just be that the radio I selected doesn't have the software built in to recognize a secondary trigger to trigger the lanewatch camera.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So you guys think if I get this harness and make sure the head unit is idatalink ready, then the lanewatch camera would work and trigger like stock?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So you guys think if I get this harness and make sure the head unit is idatalink ready, then the lanewatch camera would work and trigger like stock?

Like I said in my original post. I'm using this harness along with a Maestro into an iDataLink ready head unit and my lanewatch camera does NOT trigger like stock. I can manually bring it up on the radio, but as of yet I can't get the radio to see the turn signal trigger. It seems even if the harness supports it, and the harness works with the radio, both cameras aren't automatically triggered. Only the backup camera on mine.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Your install looked good. Even the clocks are synchronized.
I just did my install (with a kenwood dmx906s - crv ex 2016) but i used the metra axxess harness - i tried to return it and replace it with an idatalink but already threw the package/boxes away - so i just proceeded with my install.
I did a lot of modification on the metra axxess harness due to the following:
1. video displays of lanewatch and rear camera were bad/wash out
2. metra axxess retains the turn signal for lanewatch but with bad video output
3. metra axxess has its own video switch module so the video goes thru the axxess module before going to the radio (reason for the bad video)
4. i just bypass the video switch and add 2 rca connectors connecting the rear and lanewatch directly to the radio
5. install is done - video displays are good, rear view fish eye view only, lanewatch activates only thru the cam button of the radio, my clock is not synchronize

i have the stock radio still with me and i'm planning to hack the radio to see how to restore the rear wide/normal and top views.
see my posts in the link below:

link to posts hacking old stock radio - camera normal views

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts