Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a 2016 CR-V with 28,000 miles on it. I live in Minnesota and the car was a lease in western New York.

I got the car up on ramps today just to look things over a bit. I was a little surprised at the amount of rust that I found. We also have a 2012 CR-V .............. I dont recall it being quite this rusty. Seems like a lot of rust at the seems and welds.

Does the rust shown in these pictures seems abnormal for a car driven in NY ? Should I be concerned ?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My 2000 Mustang GT has very little rust (premium trim). My mother's 2003 Ford Taurus SEL (mid-level trim) has a bit of rust, and my father's 2013 F-150 (base trim) has a good amount of rust for the model year. My wife's 2012 EX-L AWD has very little rust. It would appear that the higher-end trims use more rust proofing.

·
Banned
2,510 Posts
I just purchased a 2016 CR-V with 28,000 miles on it. I live in Minnesota and the car was a lease in western New York.

I got the car up on ramps today just to look things over a bit. I was a little surprised at the amount of rust that I found. We also have a 2012 CR-V .............. I dont recall it being quite this rusty. Seems like a lot of rust at the seems and welds.

Does the rust shown in these pictures seems abnormal for a car driven in NY ? Should I be concerned ?
Over all for the year and mileage it is excessive, to me. The vehicle was exposed to a fair amount of snow/ice melting chemicals causing the rust you see. The aluminum cases of the engine/trans have a fair amount of corrosion also.
The chemicals used will reactivate every time they get wet unless the bottom side of the vehicle is thoroughly pressure washed and rinsed at the end of a winter season, at the least. I'll go to the self service car wash once a month through the winter flushing out under the hood and the bottom side of the car. I tend to keep vehicles long term and have very good success at keeping them rust free.
Mine, I would clean and treat it.
If you keep a vehicle a few years then dump it, I wouldn't be too concerned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts