Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the car in July of 2016 and noticed a little bit of vibration in the steering wheel when I went 70 mph on the highway. I noticed it a little in the test drive but the sales guy dismissed it saying the tires are new and a little vibration is normal until they wear in a little (my first mistake).

After a few weeks the vibration persisted so I brought it back. They did a spin balance and gave it back to me (they did not test drive). I still noticed the vibration but thought ok, since it was rebalanced, I'll give it some more time to see if anything changes. A month later still persisting so I go back a 2nd time. The guy in the service department is argumentative with me but still goes and rebalances it again but says I'm being too picky. Again I go off onto the highway and it seems a little less but still there at 70mph...

Ok, so another month goes by and it seems like it's getting a little worse so this time I call the manager and he says to bring it in and this time they'll do a road force balance. I go and spend 3 hours waiting for the car. They tried road force balancing, temporarily traded tires with another CRV and even drive a different new CRV on the lot and find that it also has a vibration at 70. So they come back and admit that yes they do see the vibration at 70 but don't know how to fix it! They tell me I may have to wait for a Honda bulletin! Sadly I go away again disappointed.

Now it seems like the vibration is even stronger so I'm trying again tomorrow - this time they have upper management involved and want to check for out of round tires and possibly other parts of the suspension.

Anyone else having problems like this? The tires on the EX-L are Continentals. I noticed that different levels of CRV's use different brand of tires (LX, EX, EX-L, Touring). I'm wondering if it's more of a problem with Continental tires or the CRV in general?

Any advise for tomorrow's 4th trip to the dealer?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2015 that came with Bridgestone tires that where terrible in the winter. I put Firestone LE's on and ride and traction is much improved. What happens with each there is some vibration on some highways and none on others. Are you driving it on a mix of different surfaces and getting the same results?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The vibration does vary some on different road surfaces but it is consistently there when I hit 70 mph.

I came back from the dealer and again they told me it is a characteristic of the car. To prove it to me, they let me test drive 2 other brand new 2016 CRV's. One was an EX-L (same as mine) with the same Continental tires and one was the Touring model with Dunlop tires. Both cars had the vibration at 70. Interestingly the Touring one with Dunlop was worse than mine!

The guy told me they are aware that this is happening to 2016 CRV's in general but have nothing to fix unless Honda itself recognizes and releases a fix for it. So sadly - it was "designed" that way.

I'm sure this varies by car. For me it's there just enough to be a little annoying (especially since it's totally smooth at 60 but develops this vibration at 70). I guess I'm stuck with it. Lesson learned - if you feel something you don't quite like in the test drive - don't buy! (there's a chance the dealer won't be able to resolve it!)

·
Registered
548 Posts
Have they inspected the brake rotors for out of balance or warping or the torque setting on the wheel bearings (both sides)?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was checked by the dealer. They put the lug nuts on and used a torque wrench. Before that, I also tried rotating tires myself and tightened them myself. I wouldn't feel safe if I put them on any looser than that...

They didn't check the brake rotors but I did confirm that 2 other brand new 2016's on their lot behaved the same as mine.

·
Super Moderator
3,206 Posts
I've had no vibration at the speeds you report, on my 16 Touring with Dunlops.
Are you tempted to swap the wheels and tires between your 15 and 16?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had the same problem a few years back on a different make car. Went back four or five times and they rebalanced, rotated and checked for out of round and while it would get better some times and worse other times it never was right. It was at around 50 to 60 miles an hour so it was maddening. What finally fixed it was they popped the tire off the rim, rotated the tire 90 degrees on the rim, re-balanced and remounted and the problem went away. Never had another problem. The tire guy doesn't know why but said he had tried that several times with success. Other than that I second the brake rotors. Good luck. Been there and it sucks...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2016 touring with vibration at 60 and then at 70. Tire pressure is correct. Planning second trip to the dealer. Any known fixes?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a '16 yesterday, Bridgestones, no vibration at any speed between 0 and 80. Total miles on the highway, about 70 coming home from the dealer.
So far, so good.

The OP's issue could be tire pressure. Just a maybe.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought a '16 yesterday, Bridgestones, no vibration at any speed between 0 and 80. Total miles on the highway, about 70 coming home from the dealer.
So far, so good.

I'll probably buy some Michelin M&S when the time comes, though.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
So far, so good.

I'll probably buy some Michelin M&S when the time comes, though.
My 16 EX-L has Bridgestones and they are very smooth with over 19,000 miles on them.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The tires on the EX-L are Continentals. I noticed that different levels of CRV's use different brand of tires (LX, EX, EX-L, Touring). I'm wondering if it's more of a problem with Continental tires or the CRV in general?
I don't think they use different brands on different levels but simply use whatever brand they have contracted for and are available at the time the car is made. I've had 16+ new cars over the years (mostly company cars) and there is no way of knowing what brand will be on the new car until it arrives. Other people who got company cars identical to mine frequently got a different brand than me.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts