Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2016 crv is close to 40K miles, I thought I will replace spark plugs. Once I took out the boots, I noticed there's no hex nut on the old spark plugs and my 5/8" spark plug wrench has nowhere to grip. has anyone seen the same problem?

Has Honda changed their design in 2016 version so it makes it's difficult for DIYers to change spark plug? They've removed the transmission fluid dip stick in 2015 and replaced with the overflow port.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2016 crv is close to 40K miles, I thought I will replace spark plugs. Once I took out the boots, I noticed there's no hex nut on the old spark plugs and my 5/8" spark plug wrench has nowhere to grip. has anyone seen the same problem?

Has Honda changed their design in 2016 version so it makes it's difficult for DIYers to change spark plug? They've removed the transmission fluid dip stick in 2015 and replaced with the overflow port.
I have 2016 crv it's almost 55000 km now I want to change the spark plugs but I didn't see it when I will iam going to update you the results

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
On my Honda K24a8 engine, I use a 5/8" magnetic spark plug socket like this.

But, I don't change the plugs until the maintenance minder tells me to, around 100,000 miles. You're replacing them way too early.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts

So, you removed the ignition coils and the spark plugs don't have that hex nut type ring on them?
I find that almost impossible to believe.
Still, stranger things have happened. ?
Buffalo4

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
yes Sir I know it's early but I like to keep the engine running smoothly
It should run smoothly without changing the spark plugs for at least 100k miles.
If it isn't you may have a bad sparkplug.
I would be more concerned about changing the oil and the proper air in the tires and using quality gasoline than i would about changing 100k mile spark plugs half way through their life.

Buffalo4

·
Registered
5 Posts
I change the oil with filter every 5,000 km and every time I checked almost every single detail in my car. it's better than take it to the dealership and charge me for something they didn't even know if it's good or bad

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts

The video hondo linked, contradicts your claim here.

beyond that, at 40K miles... changing the plugs on an otherwise properly working CRV engine... is.... fixing something that is not broken. :)

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
I change the oil with filter every 5,000 km and every time I checked almost every single detail in my car. it's better than take it to the dealership and charge me for something they didn't even know if it's good or bad
Who mentioned to take it to the Dealer for anything?
Don't worry about the spark plugs. If you are nervous and capable, pull one or even all of them out and take a look at them.

Buffalo4
PS: Why do you change the oil and filter every 5k km? Do you have it done or do you do it yourself?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
So, you removed the ignition coils and the spark plugs don't have that hex nut type ring on them?
I find that almost impossible to believe.
Me as well. How could a plug even be installed without a hex or something to bite into? And why would they change something so common? A hex isn't a functional part of a spark plug.

Although I could see someone not getting the spark plug wrench down on the plug far enough to engage the hex. Easy way to tell--go to the NGK site, search for plugs for a 2016, see which plugs were the OEM model, and take a look at the photo. Or heck, I'll take the minute and do it myself...

Note that it says "Actual OE Part."

Click on that part and yep, sure enough, hex!

·
Premium Member
2005 and 2006 EX AWD
451 Posts
it's a 14mm hex,you can buy a 14mm spark plug socket at most parts stores.BMW and Mini are using 14mm 12 point I had to get one of those too working on a Mini cooper,when I shined my flashlight down the hole and saw the 12 point I was shocked, yes these iridiums are good for 100k

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,785 Posts
My 16 only has 46k miles. Based on my experience with my pilot's 100k plug interval is fine. They all came out (twice) looking great.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts