Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put a new battery into my 2016 Honda CRV without the engine computer memory and clocks resetting... So I purchased an "OBD2 Memory Saver" from Amazon
LPHUS Memory Saver Connector OBD2 Car Diagnostic Cable & ECU Memory Saver Cable with Alligator Clip, Vehicle Battery Replacement Tool, Emergency Power Supply Interface for Car Battery Helper: Amazon.ca: Automotive
What I did is as follows:
  1. I connected the OBD2 Memory Saver to my NOCO GB40 Battery Jumper (connected the Red clamp from the NOCO to the Red Clamp on the Memory Saver, followed by the same with the black clamps...)
  2. The red light on my OBD2 Memory Saver was now on.
  3. I then plugged the OBD2 Memory Saver into my CRVs OBD2 port
  4. I then disconnected my CRV battery in the engine bay, and replaced it with a new battery
  5. I then disconnected the OBD2 Memory Saver from under the under-dash OBD2 port
  6. And now, when I try to turn the vehicle on, nothing happens. The interior light does not come on either.
Any ideas?
Thanks for your time!

·
Registered
359 Posts
Lots of effort for a poor result. Jumper cables connected to the terminal clamps while changing the battery is much easier and cheaper.

Plus, even if you disconnected the battery it doesn’t take long to set things back up as they were.

I have no helpful suggestions at this time though.

·
Registered
17 CRV EXL AWD, 14 CRV EXL AWD
2,563 Posts
Opps, first check all the fuses in the engine and cabin fuse boxes. Hopefully you only have a blown fuse. Next the NOCO battery jumper is a high current supply, if its voltage is higher than the new battery you could have tried to charge the car battery via the OBD2 port, not a good thing. The makers of the memory saver should have included a diode to prevent the car battery's current from flowing back to the NOCO. But should also have included a current limiting device such as a resistor to prevent high current from flowing from the NOCO into the car's wiring. There is also the possiblity the manufacturer miss wired the plug.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Wow, Darwin candidates in the making....

NEVER use a high current supply when messing with battery terminals. It doesn't take but a second of accidental grounding to grenade a battery, or generate welding-level heat for severe burns.

You could safely use a NOCO G3500 battery charger (max output of 3.5 amps) for this purpose, and it should do the job just fine. I've been doing this forever using a home built 12v / 1 amp hobbyist power supply. If you accidentally short something, you will simply sink the voltage. No harm done.

But a NOCO GB40 isn't a great choice given the way it's safety sensing circuit is designed to work. It wants to see a certain level of 'pushback' from an existing battery to enable it's output (up to 500 amps!). When you disconnect the battery and all it sees is a 70 mA load, it's performance might become unpredictable unless you enable the OVERRIDE function (again, very dangerous in this application).

So what happened? I don't have access at this moment to the schematics (on my other pc), but many OBD ports have a 7.5 amp fuse on the 12v line which you likely blew. On some vehicles that will give you a fault, but I've never seen it disable the system in total as you describe. Recheck your battery connections for proper contact. Do you have a volt meter? Probe the battery posts. 12.6 volts? How about on the terminals an inch away from the posts? Still have 12.6 volts?

·
Registered
221 Posts
i'm thinking either you hooked the battery up backwards, you have a bad battery or you might have blown the voltage regulator that's on the positive side cable if your car is equipped with one.
Just because it's a new battery to you doesn't mean it's a fresh battery; word of advice, when buying "new" batteries for cars always check the production date and find one that's under three months old from your current date. As for the reversing of polarity, make sure the store didn't give you a 51 battery vs a 51R or something likewise and you didn't catch it and installed the battery thinking you did it correctly as that will damage things.

·
Registered
283 Posts
A typical "One Post Wonder". Or maybe this poke will bring him back to tell us how this ended...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.