Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have owned 4 Hondas over the past 20 years, but never a CRV. We're considering one as a second vehicle (we're lifelong Land Rover owners, but we've loved our past Hondas). We looked at a Touring AWD model yesterday at a local dealer. Loved the options and test drive, but the wheels are absolutely atrocious looking. I really like the 17" 10 spoke alloys that are listed on the main Honda website under the Accessories section. I asked our local dealer about swapping for those wheels and he tells me that they can't be swapped because the TPMS aren't compatible. Does anyone have a 2015 or 2016 Touring model with anything other than the standard wheel option? I'm not looking for a third party wheel; I just won't buy those Touring wheels (and we're set on the Touring model).

Thoughts?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Starting in 2014 the wheels don't have pressure sensors, they use the ABS sensors to compare the rotation speed of each wheel. I think any wheels should work on the latest cars.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,654 Posts
I think the dealer guy is wrong about the TPMS.

Please provide a link...

The latest CR-Vs use the TPMS system that counts wheel revolutions. There are no sensors in them.

You might want to call Honda Customer Service to verify.

If the website's wheels are from a different model, that's another story. Then, the hub center size, offset, and bolt pattern might be wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dealer didn't provide a link regarding the info. I called Honda Customer Service per your suggestion and they said they "didn't have that info and to please refer to the dealer." That wasn't the answer I was expecting. ;-)

Sounds like you guys think the dealer is wrong and Honda itself doesn't seem to know.

I think the dealer guy is wrong about the TPMS.

Please provide a link...

The latest CR-Vs use the TPMS system that counts wheel revolutions. There are no sensors in them.

You might want to call Honda Customer Service to verify.

If the website's wheels are from a different model, that's another story. Then, the hub center size, offset, and bolt pattern might be wrong.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interestingly, I just noted that you can build a Touring 2WD with the 17" 10 spoke alloy wheels, but not the Touring AWD model.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Interesting. I think the dealer is either mistaken or trying to put you off the trail of doing something that will create a small problem for them.

If the dealer is right, my plan to substitute 16 inch winter tires on steel wheels for the 17 inch OEM fitment wouldn't work either. Whether the wheels are 16, 17 or 18 inches the reduced tire aspect ratio that goes along with increasing wheel size makes the tire revolutions per mile essentially the same, so I can see no reason why this would confuse the TPMS. Now maybe if actual TPMS sensors were used as they were pre-2014 it would be an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just spoke with Honda. They "don't recommend 17" wheels on the AWD model" and thusly don't offer those wheels as an option for the AWD Touring. When I asked why they offer it for the EX-L AWD model they simply couldn't give me an answer. I don't think I've ever known of a company that doesn't understand their own options or can't provide simple answer.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Use the optional Acura RDX 18" diamond cut alloy wheel with the CR-V Touring models OEM tires and center caps.

This won't confuse the CMBS.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Absolute and total nonsense. As already stated, no TPMS valves in 2014 and later.

My local dealer has a special on Honda 17" steel rims with three grades of winter tires. Will fit any model CRV, besides Accords etc.
Have sold and installed them on several 2016 Touring, EX-I and EX, as well as countless 2015's and 2014's. For earlier, they have TPMS valves. No problem. 2WD, AWD. No problem.

Can't believe the BS you get.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Mind linking to their site or sending me the link? Maybe that would convince my dealership.

Absolute and total nonsense. As already stated, no TPMS valves in 2014 and later.

My local dealer has a special on Honda 17" steel rims with three grades of winter tires. Will fit any model CRV, besides Accords etc.
Have sold and installed them on several 2016 Touring, EX-I and EX, as well as countless 2015's and 2014's. For earlier, they have TPMS valves. No problem. 2WD, AWD. No problem.

Can't believe the BS you get.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts