Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if there is a software update or barring that an aftermarket replacement for the Honda OEM in dash Navigation system.

The extra cost for this system was, in my opinion, wasted. This GPS system is pitiful. Tried to get me to turn into a river one time, a field another. Does not voice identify street names when directing one to turn. Will not allow me to program certain addresses, even with Latitude or Longitude coordinates. Yada, yada, yada.

I see on this forum many others with similar or same problems from previous models. One would think American Honda would respond better than putting decent units in other models (Pilot, HR-V, Lexus) Honda America say they are sorry, offer a gift card for more Honda accessories. Dealer says system is functioning just fine. It really does not. I have used Garmin, Tom Tom, Magellan, Scout, Waze...all of them much better than this Honda disaster.

I see Jensen has a VX7024 Nav receiver. Also JVC Kenwood has the DNX 773S. Does anyone know if either of these units could replace the OEM system and install precisely where the current touch screen is? Thanks.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I saw a guy at my big box farm store today buying an Atlas !! Reliable, cheap and requires the same amount of distraction time to use !!! Sorry, but you're about Forum member #144 who has "issues" with the tech pkg !! Craig

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Navigation systems that come from the factory are garbage. Just get yourself a $150 Garmin and call it good.

·
Super Moderator
3,189 Posts
I've used Garmin for years but wanted fewer wires floating around the dash do have the factory system.
Last week Garmin, Google And the factory system let me down on one location I was trying to find in a strange city.
Fortunately my client's store location app worked perfectly.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Waze is free and blows the dedicate ones, and especially the built in, to shame. It's just an app for your phone. The google maps app is decent, too. (both owned by the same company, Google)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all for your input. i do carry a back up "paper" GPS in the car, used to be called a road map. Just a darn shame so many owners have this situation and Honda refuses a simple software update or change.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Let's just say that nobody is buying the touring trim in order to get the nav system.

Sent from my note 4 using Tapatalk.

·
Registered
453 Posts
When I bought my CRV (January 2015), they only had one EX-L with Navigation in a color I didn't want and it was taking 3 plus months to get a touring. I probably would have paid the extra money for Navigation if I had a choice. I probably need to buy a Garmin. I just don't know where it will easily fit on the front dash.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
When I bought my CRV (January 2015), they only had one EX-L with Navigation in a color I didn't want and it was taking 3 plus months to get a touring. I probably would have paid the extra money for Navigation if I had a choice. I probably need to buy a Garmin. I just don't know where it will easily fit on the front dash.
I put my Garmin on the windshield right above the IMID display.

·
Registered
381 Posts
>I just dont know where it will easily fit on the front dash

I used the IOTTIE device, which optionally has wireless charging coils if your phone supports it. They may or may not make one for standalone nav systems, but this lets you use your phone with free apps like WAZE or Google Maps. These blow away the garmins, etc with realtime information.

Here's a pic of one of my vehicles showing a good place where it can fit.

Rhody

·
Registered
453 Posts
>I just dont know where it will easily fit on the front dash

I used the IOTTIE device, which optionally has wireless charging coils if your phone supports it. They may or may not make one for standalone nav systems, but this lets you use your phone with free apps like WAZE or Google Maps. These blow away the garmins, etc with realtime information.

Here's a pic of one of my vehicles showing a good place where it can fit.

Rhody

Thank you! The pictures were helpful! I didn't realize the mounts they have are like an arm and that adjustable.

Coast - will look at windshield mounts.

I used my iPhone on my last trip but I had to keep looking down at it, not the best.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think it's a travesty that we have a 7" screen in the CR-V and we can't use it to at least display Google Maps or Waze. I've found YouTube videos that show how to do it but it is like jumping through hoops to set it up. Not very convenient every time you start up the vehicle. I have an Android phone and it's much harder to do than an iPhone apparently.

·
Registered
381 Posts
The 7" screen also has poor resolution, compared with the one on your phone.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would like to know if there is a software update [...] for the Honda OEM in dash Navigation system.

One would think American Honda would respond better than putting decent units in other models (Pilot, HR-V, Lexus)
Although there are regular map database updates, Honda (like most other manufacturers) do not update the actual operation of an infotainment system since that would result in inconsistent operation and the original documentation would no longer apply.

As far as other models models having a "decent" navigation system (while implying that the CR-V's is not "decent"), the 2016 Pilot has totally different navigation software by Garmin. You'll also find this software in the 2017 Ridgeline and 2016 Civic. The 2016 HR-V uses the same navigation software as the CR-V which is an older system that dates back to 2014. Rest assured that the next generation of CR-V (whether it arrives this year or next) will almost certainly have the updated Garmin navigation software like other new Honda models have been getting. Remember: The current generation of CR-V has been around since 2011. The other Honda models that have the newer software were all either all-new or completely redesigned for 2016.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Although there are regular map database updates, Honda (like most other manufacturers) do not update the actual operation of an infotainment system since that would result in inconsistent operation and the original documentation would no longer apply.

As far as other models models having a "decent" navigation system (while implying that the CR-V's is not "decent"), the 2016 Pilot has totally different navigation software by Garmin. You'll also find this software in the 2017 Ridgeline and 2016 Civic. The 2016 HR-V uses the same navigation software as the CR-V which is an older system that dates back to 2014. Rest assured that the next generation of CR-V (whether it arrives this year or next) will almost certainly have the updated Garmin navigation software like other new Honda models have been getting. Remember: The current generation of CR-V has been around since 2011. The other Honda models that have the newer software were all either all-new or completely redesigned for 2016.
Now I wish I had waited for a later model.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Now I wish I had waited for a later model.
Eh. If it makes you feel any better:

1) Even knowing that 2016 could be the last year of the current generation CR-V before an all-new model arrives using the new Civic platform, a turbocharged engine, and updated electronics including CarPlay, I still made the conscious choice to buy one and I haven't regretted it so far. I never would have imagined myself buying a small SUV. It's one of those things that "just happened". It was intended to be a stop-gap between my 2014 Ridgeline and a new 2017 Ridgeline, but I've been so pleasantly surprised that I'm in no hurry to swap it for another Ridgeline.

2) The newer systems found in the Civic and Pilot, in particular, are having problems. There have been multiple TSBs and software updates to fix bug in these two models. The Civic is also having hardware problems related to the audio amplifier.

·
Registered
98 Posts
One of the things that gripes me the most about my 2016 Touring is the lack of Android support. I was hoping this year would see the introduction of Android Auto. Guess not.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It works for IOS and Android about the same. It supports the long hold on steering wheel for IOS to do voice commands, but not for Android.

Personally, I dont have it wired in via USB and just use bluetooth. (Samsung Galaxy S6) I put a nice IOTTIE holder on the dash, which has wireless charging coils, so its right there for WAZE use. It works well for phone calls. No complaints. But my next car will have Android Auto for sure!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts