Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering the 2016 EX-L and the Touring.

Perhaps my biggest single criteria for choosing a car is smoothness of ride. I like the extra bells and whistles of the Touring, but I'm concerned that the 'bigger rims' will result in a harsher ride. I test drove both models yesterday, and - on the short test drive - I can't say I noticed much, but I did feel a certain amount of bumpiness on some freeway sections. I'd really need to take it on a much longer drive to get a better impression, but there's no way I can take both cars on an extended test.

Does anyone here have a strong opinion on the difference in ride quality between the 17 and 18" wheels? Obviously the 18" wheels look better but I'd rather have a smoother ride!

·
Everything in Moderation
7,745 Posts
I don't have a STRONG opinion, but I have found that the difference can be felt. (Daughter's Fit came with 15" alloys and snows are 14" steelies)

After a couple days you don't notice it anymore, though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the 18" wheels and tires on my 2015 Touring. So much quieter on the road than my 15" wheels and tires on my 2006 Honda Accord. But i also noticed that on my CR-V there is some sort of sound deadening/quieting material in the wheel wells. I'm sure that is helping to keep the tire noise lower inside the vehicle.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I doubt very much that there's much difference in the ride. As for looks, both rims are ugly. Touring the worst. Touring is overpriced.

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Bet the Dealer would allow a swap of the wheels from the EX-L to the Touring and mark up the wheels on the EX-L as a dealer option.

I also agree that the 17" ride better than the 18" wheels. More rubber between the road and the rim ( just a 1/2 inch more ).

·
Registered
229 Posts
well to compare, our '14 LX didn't ride much better than our '15 touring does.
theres still a bit of side wall on the 18's so I think that helps, and the touring has the sensing suite auto brake cool looking rims etc..

·
Registered
13 Posts
We bought the '16 Touring (wife's car) because of the extra safety features, electric hatch and the looks of the larger wheels. We didn't really want the NAV but it wasn't an option to omit. I didn't drive the EX-L so I don't have that to compare with. You can "feel the road" as my wife likes to say. But, it's jet-smooth compared to my Dodge RAM 3500. Seriously, it's a firm ride but not harsh.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts