Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have multiple 2016 Tourings and have discovered a white splatter residue and an "unidentified sticky fluid" near oil filler cap.

None of our cars have been serviced anywhere since purchase, all have less than 2500 miles on odometer and we perform, when needed, all our own maintenance (but this is not a case of maintenance performed).

Have examined each car regularly, hood lifted up at least 2x weekly so as to become immediately aware of just these types of situations. Same with underside of each car, placed on lift a few times to examine for any leaks or problems.

Just posting it here for posterity, wiped the area clean and examined the (see Blue Arrow) wet sticky residue but it is *not* engine oil, transmission CVT fluid or radiator fluid.

Also ruled out road puddle(s) as under this area, the engine and radiator, firewall, everything is clean and if the car had been driven through a deep water pocket on road, the splatter would occur more evenly, not only on top of cover.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Is it possible that the hose(s) for the windshield washers is leaking?
No idea on the liquid.
If you live in an area where they use mag chloride for snow melt, it could also be that, or snow that was on the grille and got blown in. Looks like the splatter is heavier on the vertical next to the oil filler cap, indicating it is coming from the front of the vehicle.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Are you saying this has happened since you took delivery, ie it was clean when you took delivery, now it isn't?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All our cars are inspected at delivery by family mechanics who are also the drivers. So, yes, we know precisely what it looks like at pickup and the very next day, one or two days later and so on. All cars are logged weekly for performance, miles driven, maintenance, visual inspection (which was the case here)

These recent 2016 Tourings are driven in Florida, while we keep cars in other states also.

·
Registered
114 Posts
All our cars are inspected at delivery by family mechanics who are also the drivers. So, yes, we know precisely what it looks like at pickup and the very next day, one or two days later and so on. All cars are logged weekly for performance, miles driven, maintenance, visual inspection (which was the case here)

These recent 2016 Tourings are driven in Florida, while we keep cars in other states also.
...nobody likes splatter

That splatter looks exactly like someone drove down a wet limestone dirt road.

I get a similar splatter on parts of my engine when I drive around in the Ocala National Forest.

Come to think of it, I don't have to drive down a limestone paved road - all I have to do is hit a pothole or two that's down to the limestone base on the main road to my subdivision.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I'm interested to see what this is too. I noticed that our car had a little bit of spatter in the same location after the recent rain we had here, but nothing like what you've shown. It's curious because the front of the hood is pretty much sealed with the rubber strip on the underside, so not much can get thru there. It isn't a weather proof seal by any means but doesn't let a lot in, at least based on what I could see on our car.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
I just had a thought, but you've said the car was clean when picked up. It almost looks like residue from a buffing job that got washed into the engine compartment. Our car had the same type of splatter after it had the fender replaced from my wife's accident two years ago. They painted the hood and fender and buffed the paint afterwards. They didn't detail the engine compartment and I let the body shop know that that wasn't acceptable when working on my car. It didn't come in that way and I certainly didn't expect to get it back like that.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,615 Posts
We get a similar white spatter too on our '06...always have.
Could it be dirty road water, sprayed in by the rad fans?

Never caused a problem (aside from aesthetics).

The only dark 'drip' like yours, I caused myself (oil from dipstick).

·
Registered
776 Posts
I'd wet a finger, rub it over several of the spots and see what it tastes like. Maybe salt air is condensing under the hood and then gets blown back onto the motor. Long ago, I had an Uncle who spent long periods of time in Fort Lauderdale. He often had to change out things like the grille due to corrosion !! I know it's a stretch, but it shouldn't kill you. Craig

1 - 9 of 9 Posts