Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We purchased Our CR-V used with very low miles and love it. We noticed it gets revvved up and sounds louder going down a steeper hill. Can anyone help explain this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Geoff! My husband is inclined to agree with that. Coming from a 2014 Civic this is a 2.4 L as opposed to 1.8 L. Totally different vehicle! We appreciate your input.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Ditto. If your V has the CVT: when going downhill the CVT assists by engine braking, just like in a manual vehicle.
At some point, when hill is too steep and the revs/speed become too high, the CVT "upshifts" and at this point, to maintain speed, you have to use brakes.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,780 Posts
I have a 16crv and have also driven a 14. They drive completely differently. Most notably as you've noticed, it's programmed to downshift, in my opinion unnecessarily, even on a slight downhill. The 14 doesn't act the same way. It's a case of 16cvt v 14 traditional transmission.
What you've noticed is the one thing, I think Honda got very wrong. It's overly sensitive, and against good mpg.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto. If your V has the CVT: when going downhill the CVT assists by engine braking, just like in a manual vehicle.
At some point, when hill is too steep and the revs/speed become too high, the CVT "upshifts" and at this point, to maintain speed, you have to use brakes.
Yes, it does have that, Kurbel. That explains a lot, like my old stick shift; I used to downshift all the time to assist slowing the engine down. Less wear and tear on the brakes. Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have just recently purchased an off lease 2016 CR-V with the cvt. I’ve never had a cvt before and it does make this noise when going down the street in our neighborhood. It tends to make a groaning noise but if you bump the throttle it “shifts” to another location on the pulley and the noise stops. I hope this machine works for as long as the older ones. In all honesty, I’d much rather have a 4 or 5 speed automatic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have just recently purchased an off lease 2016 CR-V with the cvt. I’ve never had a cvt before and it does make this noise when going down the street in our neighborhood. It tends to make a groaning noise but if you bump the throttle it “shifts” to another location on the pulley and the noise stops. I hope this machine works for as long as the older ones. In all honesty, I’d much rather have a 4 or 5 speed automatic.
You hit the nail on the head! I also got the 30k with transmission serviced and they told me my rear brakes need pads already ?! Unheard of with my previous Honda's (5)
at 30 K. It does not bode well for our relationship going forward. I don't see CVTs having longevity. Sad. I may exit and find an old fashioned 5- speed prior to big trouble.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts