Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, first time honda owner and first post.
We bought a used 2016 CR V w/ 47,000 miles in June 2019.

Since the purchase the local honda dealer has replaced the torque converter and now most recently the catalytic converter.

Credit to the dealership both repairs were completed under warranty without resistance. Current mileage is 57000.

My questions:
Could one of the issues have caused the oother?

Is this indicative of future problems and time to trade this car in?

Anyone else experience these issues?

thank you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Welcome to the site.

No, one did not cause the other. The torque converter is part of the transmission and should last the life of the vehicle. The catalytic converter is part of the exhaust and should be good for 150,000-200,000 miles, so replacing both of them at only 57,000 miles is unusual.

Is this cause for concern? Hard to say without looking at it. The catalytic converter, no. But the torque converter, I'd have to find out why it was replaced. Did the torque converter job come with some kind of warranty? If so, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

And, there's no need for bold text.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a 2016 and researched them extensively before buying it, these items weren't on any list of repairs that is common that I came across.

·
1,963 Posts
Welcome to the forum! It's hard to say, not having been there or heard your issues that brought about the need for you to seek the dealer's help on these two issues. Were these things causing problems? If not, I think I would be concerned about the dealer's actions, as neither part should be a concern for many miles, as stated above. Unless you has specific problems that led to those repairs, I think I'd find another dealer. It's fairly common for dealers to recommend repairs for no apparent reason, as it's how they make their money. That service writer is not a mechanic, he's a salesman. While the repairs so far were covered, needing them at that mileage is pretty much unheard of and suspicious. The next one might not be. Don't just take their word for it. They are always looking for a way into your wallet. I won't use a dealer for anything that doesn't require recall or warranty work. Not all dealers are like this, but it is the rule rather than the exception.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Since the purchase the local honda dealer has replaced the torque converter and now most recently the catalytic converter.

Credit to the dealership both repairs were completed under warranty without resistance. Current mileage is 57000.

My questions:

thank you.
Thank for your replies. Not sure why the bold text.

The torque converter was a result of a slight leak at the bell housing noticed by my mechanic during routine oil change. I took it to dealer because of the warranty.

Initially they replaced a seal but the slight leak persisted. I returned to the dealer and they replaced the torque converter.

The catalytic converter was found because the check engine light activated and the scan indicated a catalytic converter problem.

Thanks again for your help.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for your replies. Not sure why the bold text.

The torque converter was a result of a slight leak at the bell housing noticed by my mechanic during routine oil change. I took it to dealer because of the warranty.

Initially they replaced a seal but the slight leak persisted. I returned to the dealer and they replaced the torque converter.

The catalytic converter was found because the check engine light activated and the scan indicated a catalytic converter problem.

Thanks again for your help.
The torque converter did not come with a new warranty. The original warranty expires at 60,000 miles.

·
1,963 Posts
Okay, then, it sounds like they took excellent care of you. These are unusual issues for such a low mileage CR-V. In fact, I've not seen a single other instance of either of them. But I'm glad you were on top of it all. Still, overall the CR-V is a pretty reliable car, and I wouldn't consider them to necessarily be bad omens. Little things happen, but instances of major issues like these are pretty rare, so odds are you still have a car that will last a good long time. We always have to carefully watch out, especially when buying a used car, but I would say take it in stride and keep on driving it!

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Mine has about the same miles. Purrs like a kitten. Hoping wife will let me give it to the kids.

·
Registered
310 Posts

I would concerned about the catalytic converter going out so early. Basically they get clogged with unburnt fuel and oil which causes them to fail. Its usually something wrong with the engine that causes it. Like burning oil, bad fuel injectors or poor fuel air regulation. I would want to know the root cause since they won’t be so nice when Honda corporate is not paying after 60k miles. There is a 2% chance they missed a bad oxygen sensor but those devices typically have sensor specific codes. Factory catalytic converters are expensive, often thousands of dollars. Burning oil will require a new engine or complete rebuild to fix. Find out why the cat went out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I appreciate you taking the time to reply. I'll reach out to the service manager and ask.

Thank you for the advise.

·
Registered
71 Posts

My questions:

thank you.
As someone else mentioned, some dealers do things to make money. It's very unusual for those items to have failed so soon; were you experiencing an issue with the transmission or the MIL was illuminated? Since it was under warranty, it didn't cost you anything and I wonder if the dealer may have "faked it" to make some money knowing they could do it since you didn't have to pay for anything so they just screwed the manufacturer. Although I have to wonder about that because for major items the manufacturer would probably require returning the "defective" part and they would determine if it was truly faulty. If not, they could dock the dealer for the cost.

·
Registered
310 Posts
As someone else mentioned, some dealers do things to make money. It's very unusual for those items to have failed so soon; were you experiencing an issue with the transmission or the MIL was illuminated? Since it was under warranty, it didn't cost you anything and I wonder if the dealer may have "faked it" to make some money knowing they could do it since you didn't have to pay for anything so they just screwed the manufacturer. Although I have to wonder about that because for major items the manufacturer would probably require returning the "defective" part and they would determine if it was truly faulty. If not, they could dock the dealer for the cost.
Dealers really don't like doing warranty work if they are otherwise busy because Honda reimburses at a much reduced labor rate and the dealer makes little or nothing on the parts.

He said the transmission was leaking and the cat threw a code. He has less than 3k miles left on his powertrain warranty (except for oil dilution caused rocker arms, camshafts and spark plugs) and the new cat did not come with any extended warranty. So the concern I would have is "if the cat fail was legit" what caused it and what's going to prevent it from going again at 100k miles, this time at the owners expense? Cats fail because of oil burning, excessive fuel etc. Engine problems are typically the root cause. In 3k miles the root cause may be his problem as well.

Finally this is a unique design that gets excellent gas mileage and decent power with a 92 cubic inch engine. Its other amazing feature is that it creates increased oil volumes the further you drive it. So you could burn oil and not even know it by the dipstick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts