Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
If you own a 2017 or 2018 turbocharged CR-V and received a letter from Honda recently informing you about a recall here's a few things you may want to know:
1. The problem began with many 2017/2018 CR-V (turbocharged engine) owners complaining of a strong gas smell (especially in the oil compartment), coupled with no heating in cold climates. The problem was that with the turbocharger on a small engine puts a lot of pressure on the gas intake forcing some gas to sip through into the oil chamber, most likely through the cylinders. This issue causes the engine to run cold and to lose heating in the cabin; the air blows cold or lukewarm at best, especially in really cold climates. Owners in the southern states have not really reported this problem--other than the strong smell of gas.
2. Honda USA refused for a long time to recognize this problem and to issue a general recall. In contrast, Honda China did it almost immediately.
3. Finally, by October of 2018, Honda decided to issue the recall, but it didn't call it a "recall" per se, it called it a "Product Update", perhaps in order to avoid lawsuits or something.
4. The product update essentially states that "some people reported drivability concerns [that] can result in the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) turning on." Honda still refuse to acknowledge the real issue with the gas or the heating system nor did it elaborate in its explanation.
5. Upon taking your vehicle to the dealer to be fixed, the technician will explain to you that all they're doing is a software update with the A/C control unit replacement. They also tell you that they'll change the oil, but not the oil filter! When you ask why not the oil filter, they give you a BS answer and they ask you to pay for it if you want to get that changed too. It's best if you change the oil filter for you car to get back to normal; for that you have to pay $10. It's a bit of a nuisance but get it done, it's worth it. Also, if you use a oil coupon, they'll lower the price of the filter to $6.50 or something like that.
6. After you pick up your vehicle be sure to check the engine temperature and the main display. In may case, the software update messed up the tire pressure sensors. Honda, again, advises you to wait until the tire pressure warning light goes off and and if not, to give them a call--seriously?? The other thing I noticed that for a fraction of a second while driving, the main console info display went haywire, which was kind of freaky. I'm sure in relation to the update.
7. Finally, some people (according to Consumer Reports) have reported that the "fix" did not solve the problem and that they keep smelling gas in their oil, as well as having really low temps in their cars. Still, try and get it the fix done ASAP to avoid permanent engine damage.

My 2018 CR-V Touring is the fourth CR-V that I purchased. I've been really happy with my previous CR-Vs but this one is a complete and total let down! And it is not just because of the recall. I've had a few more serious issues, such as failure to activate the ABS in snowy conditions, the remote fab working sporadically, etc. I'm seriously contemplating trading this CR-V after the winter. Again, it's been nothing but a total disappointment. I hope you guys out there are having better luck with your CR-Vs. Maybe I've got a lemon, but I've heard quite a few more people complaining of the same things. Anyway, hope this helps!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree that my 2017 crv EX is disappointing. After many Toyotas and a few others
I purchased the crv. I was deciding between the Subaru outback and the Crv. Honda's past reputation as being bullet proof, helped make the decision.
The recall and possibility of engine damage is shocking. I had the recall repairs done and like you, thought it was odd that the oil filter was not included in the repair. I paid for the oil filter and the cup or two of oil for the filter (tacky In my opinion).
I had planned to keep he vehicle long term but my confidence has been shaken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am the original owner of a 2018 CR-V EX-L purchased in December of 2017. I have not received a recall notice of any kind and do not have a gas smell in the oil as you guys are talking about. And as far as the vehicle goes, it is operating flawlessly. Maybe I got lucky.

Other than going to the dealership and asking if there is a recall I don't know about, is there a site on the net that I can look for recalls and TSB's for the CR-V?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Ours has operated flawlessly as well. The TSBs and Recall info is in the "stickies" at the top of the Gen 5 forum.

Reactions: speedtrap63

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,063 Posts
Already discussed in multiple other threads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.