Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 EX AWD and have around 35K on it. Lately got letter from American Honda asking to take the vehicle to dealership for free Software update and A/C control unit replacement.

Couple of questions

1. My vehicle is in excellent condition. Should i really get into this? (I understand oil dilution, recall in china etc. But my vehicle is good). Not sure if i should skip this?
2. The letter also states that if I don't take it, that would be considered as lack of proper maintenance. I am in a dilemma because of that statement.
3. What changes will new software upgrade bring in? I use apple carplay and turn by turn on tachometer never shows up. Any idea if this getting fixed with software upgrade?

Thanks to all contributors.

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
3,095 Posts
We're scheduled. I love to hide the camera and see what they do. About not doing the recall. not a thing will happen.

FISH

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I have good heat and the oil dilution seems to be under control based on my last oil change after 5K miles.

I had scheduled an appointment online, asked to wait for it. Got a call back that it is a +3hr job and they don't recommend waiting.

Only have 1 car so drop off is a pain and I cancelled.

·
Registered
631 Posts
I'm in the same situation. I have good heat and the oil dilution seems to be under control based on my last oil change after 5K miles.

I had scheduled an appointment online, asked to wait for it. Got a call back that it is a +3hr job and they don't recommend waiting.

3 hour job?...I had fix done on Oct 22 and it was 30 minutes tops and they said no waiting..drove me home..walked into house with them calling to come pick me up...I live 3 blocks away...but the fix worked

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Same here. They told me it would be take 2-2.5 hours to complete. I am waiting (single car) scheduled for Feb weekend.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We're scheduled. I love to hide the camera and see what they do. About not doing the recall. not a thing will happen.

FISH
Let us know how it goes. I have a dash cam installed. All I got to see was popped up hood. Hope your camera will be in better place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the new A/C control unit replaced and the software update about 3 weeks ago. Oh and a free oil change. My repair took over night because they had to order the a/c control unit. other than that everything seems fine, sometimes there is still a small misfire on start up for a short time, unlike before it was heavy misfire for about 45 seconds. Also i was monitoring the oil with oil analysis and both times i had it done it came back with greater than 5% fuel dilution. I guess in 5k miles i will see if the the fuel dilution is gone. I recommend the repair. If anything happens due to the repair, it will be covered anyway.

·
Super Moderator
3,095 Posts
They said in our area it's 4 hours Lol so each place differ. Yeah guess two cams are needed Lol

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dealer (and letter) said to plan on them having it the whole day. I also having three other minor things looked at during the same visit.

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,095 Posts
Dealer is out of stock on the parts to be installed, so I said to Sis is it important now to do, I hold off.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just had the recall completed. CRV also had an oil change,however the oil filter was NOT changed. I have had cars for over 67 years and I NEVER changed oil without changing oil filter. Dealer stated that it was a Honda engineering decision. I disagreed and stated that it was a money decision, Anyway bottom line dealer agreed to replace filter free of charge. That is happening as iI type .
I think that Honda is full of on this matter. Always change filter when oil is changed.
Every piece of Honda literature always had oil change and filter together. Would Honda honor any warranties related to oil if the filter was not replaced even once along with the oil? I hope that all who follow this challenge Honda all the way & have the filter installed as part of recall.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I got the letter last week. I set the appointment for yesterday (Thursday, Dec 27) But the Service adviser called me and explained that they need 4 freakin' hours to finish the whole process. So I have to reschedule it to next Friday instead.

Will keep you guys updated.
BTW, mine is EX 2017. Has no problem whatsoever

·
Registered
65 Posts
I dropped the car off the night before for an oil change and called them at 7:30 AM to check they were doing the job. They informed me that the recall had to be done and I told them I was driving to JFK Airport that afternoon and needed the car no later than 10:30 AM. I was able to get the car at 10:15 AM. The oil change was no charge, but I had to pay for the filter. I got the letter after I got back from a week of vacation.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Just had "The Fix" done this morning. 2 hours including reprogramming, heater module replacement and an oil change. Cost me $22:jawdrop:, because I insisted on a new oil filter also. (4400 miles/first oil change) They charged me for the oil filter and extra oil as Honda would not cover it under the recall fix. My dealer wouldn't suck it up, and chose to charge me extra.
:bluduh:I am very disappointed.
With the North Dakota winter temps finally dipping below zero, This month will tell if anything changes.:Driving:

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L AWD, Built in Ohio.
216 Posts
I brought my own filter and it was "fixed" and had an oil change for free(ish). An hour and 30 mins start to finish.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I just had the recall completed. CRV also had an oil change,however the oil filter was NOT changed. I have had cars for over 67 years and I NEVER changed oil without changing oil filter. Dealer stated that it was a Honda engineering decision. I disagreed and stated that it was a money decision, Anyway bottom line dealer agreed to replace filter free of charge. That is happening as iI type .
I think that Honda is full of on this matter. Always change filter when oil is changed.
Every piece of Honda literature always had oil change and filter together. Would Honda honor any warranties related to oil if the filter was not replaced even once along with the oil? I hope that all who follow this challenge Honda all the way & have the filter installed as part of recall.
You probably should get out more.

Yamaha has been recommending to change motorcycle oil filters every other oil change for years.

The amount of oil in a 1.5 liter engine oil filter is inconsequential.

You still change your oil every 3,000 miles too?

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 85 Posts