Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand there is a software update for the 2017-2018 CRV infotainment system EX, EXL and Touring. My system is a total nightmare. Wondering if any of you have had this software update?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
19-066 only fixes one issue (the screen going dark). My '17 was greatly helped by getting the fix for the dimmer not working. Unfortunately, there's no TSB for that one... It's a whole system update and the only way to get it is for the dealer to order a new unit, and then Mitsubishi (who makes the unit) will realize what it is for, cancel the order for the new unit, and mail the dealer a USB stick instead.

And yes, if you think that's a stupid way of shipping it, you'd be right.

·
Registered
865 Posts
19-066 only fixes one issue (the screen going dark). My '17 was greatly helped by getting the fix for the dimmer not working. Unfortunately, there's no TSB for that one... It's a whole system update and the only way to get it is for the dealer to order a new unit, and then Mitsubishi (who makes the unit) will realize what it is for, cancel the order for the new unit, and mail the dealer a USB stick instead.

That process is ridiculous... I was lucky to have a dealer (and parts supervisor) who played ball with me and got the full update. It took a couple weeks of phone calls. I have not had any head unit issues since.

Sadly I don't think anyone has gotten the full update recently, and now that this is out, I doubt they will.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
It is mind boggling that Honda, getting very poor initial quality survey results largely due to infotainment, would make it so hard to get an update that might prevent even a few owners from having more infotainment problems than they are already aware of. They are 10 or 15 years behind industry best practices where everything with in-car software is concerned. Clueless. And sad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That process is ridiculous... I was lucky to have a dealer (and parts supervisor) who played ball with me and got the full update. It took a couple weeks of phone calls. I have not had any head unit issues since.

Sadly I don't think anyone has gotten the full update recently, and now that this is out, I doubt they will.

That is sad news.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is mind boggling that Honda, getting very poor initial quality survey results largely due to infotainment, would make it so hard to get an update that might prevent even a few owners from having more infotainment problems than they are already aware of. They are 10 or 15 years behind industry best practices where everything with in-car software is concerned. Clueless. And sad.
Honda is woefully behind everyone. I've driven Hyundai, Ford and Chevrolet SUV's that Infotainments are far superior to Honda's. I wouldn't even mind the slow response time if the system worked. It doesn't. Mine locks up several times per week. I have to do soft reboot at least twice per week. It's pathetic.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I don't understand. Why would Mitsubishi (the maker of the infotainment system) cancel an order when the dealer requests it?

·
Registered
865 Posts
100% agree with first sentence. On the second, while I do think the Mitsubishi display audio unit is terrible, reality is that the software is only 6 years old (Android 4... 10 is coming out this fall) and was only 4 years old when it was installed.

When I picked out my 2017, between Mazda and Toyota, only Honda had Android Auto.

The biggest gripe is interface design, which is a cop out on their part. Any ux design engineer could fix that.

That said, I have a lot of personal gripes about the head unit... I rarely use anything beyond Android auto. I just don't think others do much better yet.

I really hope Android automotive takes off. Engine manufactures should not try to be software engineers for user grade tech.

·
Registered
319 Posts
reality is that the software is only 6 years old (Android 4... 10 is coming out this fall) and was only 4 years old when it was installed
Problem is not the age of the Android. The could have used the oldest Android that Android Auto and Car Play could have been made to run on and it wouldn't have mattered. (That may be what this is. I dunno.) Problem is code quality and design (UI and otherwise) for all the stuff they bodged in on top of Android. (Not to mention the poor match of performance demand of that software vs. the available hardware.) We had a 2012 Ford Focus with the execrable Gen 2 My Ford Touch on Windows CE. Its UI was better--more consistent across the platform--and its capabilities to play from a USB stick beat this hands-down. Except when it was crashing or hung, which was frequent, it was generally as fast or faster at responding to touch inputs.

Worse is Honda's "what problem?" attitude and, even if they do issue a patch, they make it very difficult to get it installed. Why even issue the update if you are going to go out of your way to see that as few owners as possible ever get it? Ford even mailed out USB sticks with an update to the owners at one point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the CR-V 2017 touring and have been really happy with the display unit except for the display dimming / flickering issue (TSB 19-066). I just went to the Honda dealership to get the software update (fingers crossed it works). I don't use much of the Honda software except the Apple Carplay which works great. A couple of things that would be nice to add/update are:
1) on the car dashboard for the music playing information (currently shows track #, song name and album image), it would be better to have song name and artist name.
2) on the car dashboard have the speed limit display from the google maps data. I drove a Renault Kadar (essentially a Nissan Rogue) rental car recently in France and it had this integration with google maps and was great.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I don't understand. Why would Mitsubishi (the maker of the infotainment system) cancel an order when the dealer requests it?
Mitsubishi cancels the order for the new HU when they see that the problem described in the order can be fixed with just the software update. You'd think the dealer could just download it or order a pre-filled "official" stick through Honda Parts, but you'd be wrong. This bass-ackwards process is the only way for the dealer to obtain that fix.

(P.S. The idea of putting the update on special sticks is not unheard of; I've dealt with several large computer manufacturers that also have an idea of "official" sticks, because they don't want to deal with somebody trying to load a possibly box-bricking update via some random stick. Though these manufacturers do let you download the update, they just won't actually load it unless you use an official stick to do so.)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I understand there is a software update for the 2017-2018 CRV infotainment system EX, EXL and Touring. My system is a total nightmare. Wondering if any of you have had this software update?
Today my Honda dealership updated my infotainment software with TSB 19-066. Immediately my ipod was recognized. Sound quality from all sources is much better. Hope this keeps the gremlins away!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Today my Honda dealership updated my infotainment software with TSB 19-066. Immediately my ipod was recognized. Sound quality from all sources is much better. Hope this keeps the gremlins away!
Thank you for replying back, and congrats on solving your gremlins!

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,927 Posts
Good news! And particularly good since Honda has generally been slow on fixes for Head Units (probably because they are dependent on a 3rd party supplier). I seem to recall reading somewhere that Honda is now beginning to design their own Head Units for future generation vehicles... so maybe in the long run... they get better control over this very integral component in owner interactions.

Now.. let's look for the always persistent and possible bad news where software is concerned..... what new bugs were introduced?? :eek: Hopefully none :) ... but as a retired electrical engineer who had to deal with software engineers and their code on my designs for many years..... I am always loathe to take a code update if no current problems appear to exist.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts