Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys me and my fiancee have a 2018 CRV EX-L that we bought new at SF Honda in San Francisco back in 2018. We received 2 key fobs with the car but want to have 1 more, so I went ahead and bought another OEM fob and uncut key blank. However now I am seeing that it appears that the only way to have the FOB programmed to the car is to take it to a Honda Dealer. Is this true?

I hear some local locksmiths can do it for cheaper but wanted to see if they can do i bet i can too. I have seen more topics on this but no one seemed to have a definite answer.

Please help a newbie!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bumping this, I'm in the same bought with our 2018 CRV EX. Tried doing the cycle of accessory mode, lock the working fob, off, to get it into programming mode but it never goes in.

Is anyone aware of an end user method to program the fob?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I just ran into this problem. It’s true that (mostly) only Honda will be able to program the key — you may be able to find a mechanic that specializes in Honda and has the right equipment, but I had a tough time. I couldn’t find a locksmith able to do it.

I got my dealership down to $75 to program the fob. As for the key cutting, our keys are called something like “sidewinder” cut, which requires a special machine. Anyone with that machine can cut it, but it won’t be cheap. If this is a 3rd key, I’d recommend not cutting it at all, and just programming. You’re highly unlikely to ever need to use the physical key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks - agree on not cutting it. I had an Audi which was similar (keyless unlock/ignition), and never once in the 7+ years I had it did I actually need the physical key.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
Ctbjdm
Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums
Honda CR-V Owners Club forum, the best hang-out to discuss CVT, Hybrids, trim levels and all things CR-V
Full Forum Listing