Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted this in the mobile electronics forum, but no replies. Maybe it's specific to our generation? My Android seems to be overheating when I plug it into the smartphone USB in the console. I've never had my phone get hot like this. Don't want to ruin my phone! And I haven't figured Android Auto out yet, have made parts of it work sporadically -- a bit scared to use it extensively with my phone heating up in that outlet. Appreciate any ideas!

http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/20-mobile-electronics/145561-android-getting-hot-when-plugged.html

(For convenience... here's what's in the link:
When I plug my Android (HTC One M8) into the USB slot for the Android Auto connection, it has gotten hot, at least three times. I've never had this phone get hot. It's uncomfortable to hold at first when I pick it up, along the back / battery side. Cools off pretty quickly.

( I think I've also noticed that it also does not seem to charge the phone, instead drains it even more -- not running Android Auto at the time -- though my phone does show the charging orange light when I hook it up, I'll set it aside while driving and when I open it up after a short drive home, it's got less battery than when I plugged it in. )

Any ideas about the overheating?

EDIT -- sorry, forgot to say, new CR-V EX 2017.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Android auto is using GPS, bluetooth, charging and is essentially running your phone at the highest clock speed when navigating and playing music and never allowing it to throttle down. The high load could exceed the charging capability. If you are rooted, you can lower the max cpu clock speed or if you have a vent mount, the AC could cool the phone. Bad cables can also cause really slow charging.

Unfortunately, if nothing works, you may have a bad battery and it may be time to get a new phone.
Here are other tips:
https://www.orduh.com/htc-one-m8-battery-drain-overheating-fix/

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Android auto is using GPS, bluetooth, charging and is essentially running your phone at the highest clock speed when navigating and playing music and never allowing it to throttle down. The high load could exceed the charging capability. If you are rooted, you can lower the max cpu clock speed or if you have a vent mount, the AC could cool the phone. Bad cables can also cause really slow charging.

Unfortunately, if nothing works, you may have a bad battery and it may be time to get a new phone.
Here are other tips:
https://www.orduh.com/htc-one-m8-battery-drain-overheating-fix/
Thanks very much for the reply, freshlysqueezed. My phone battery has never overheated -- until plugged into that outlet, which is why I noticed it -- and I haven't been running Android Auto (have only run it twice to experiment. ( But my phone does drain somewhat faster than other Androids in the family; and I've uninstalled a couple of apps the first day I used them because I felt they were draining the battery quickly.)

Anyway, when I noticed the overheating, I had just been plugging it in the smartphone outlet when I needed to charge it. It gets hot pretty quickly. I was afraid it would damage the battery! So I swapped it over to the other USB outlet in the console.

I'll have to be more scientific about observing this heat problem.

AND get a different cord to see if I have a bad one.

Meanwhile I'll try to learn more at the link you provided -- again, thanks!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I experienced the same thing. It happened only on occasion and I could not figure out what was causing it. I started to experiment and so far this seems to work for me: I wait until the head unit starts up completely before I plug in my phone to the USB port. What I used to do occasionally was plug my phone in before I started the car. Not saying this was the problem but ever since I plugged it in after the system is up and running, the overheating phone has not returned. It's been about 2 weeks now with no overheating. Again, could be coincidence.

To me it seemed like the phone would go into some loop if the system started up while it was plugged in causing it to overheat. My battery was hitting 46C.

·
Registered
15 Posts
my S6 gets hot sometimes when plugged in, or even when using fast charging. Usually I either restart it, or if Im driving I hold it up to the vent while running the AC for a few minutes. Temps will go down and stay down from what i've seen.

Can you remove the battery on the m8? I had an M7 that I know you couldn't, and because of the metal back, it was almost always hot.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I got this M8, I was told it had a non-replaceable battery. A big reason why I don't want to ruin it.

While the battery on this doesn't match others in the family (have to recharge it every night, and sometimes it gets pretty low before that), I've never had it overheat. The heating is on the back but I have not noticed whether it's on a particular area of the phone (per that link); will test it.

Thanks for the hints and experience; I'll try waiting to plug it in, and also cooling it down. And the links (which imply maybe you can replace it?)...

·
Registered
70 Posts
I guess some phones differ, my OnePlus 3T stays relatively cool when hooked to the car, this is with Spotify playing and Google maps running at the same time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
There is no way you are going to damage your phone... the USB port only outputs 1.5 amps, and if the temperature gets too high, it will reduce charging & performance. It's getting hot because your phone is literally running everything you see on the Android Auto screen. Short of the phone melting your seat and bursting into flames, you are fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I find it odd that the smartphone USB port for Android Auto is 1.5 amp output and the USB ports for the rear seat are 2.5 amps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no way you are going to damage your phone... the USB port only outputs 1.5 amps, and if the temperature gets too high, it will reduce charging & performance. It's getting hot because your phone is literally running everything you see on the Android Auto screen. Short of the phone melting your seat and bursting into flames, you are fine.

But this overheating occurs when I am not running any apps or Android Auto. [ Again, I've run Android Auto very little so far. Just a couple of tests. ]

Please clarify for me. Are you saying it's not possible to overcharge a cell phone battery? Or that 1.5 amps is not enough to overcharge a cell phone battery? I was wondering if it's producing 1.5 amps or if they got it hooked up by mistake to the higher circuit.

I know you can overcharge some types of batteries; we buy chargers for our portable drills that are trickle chargers so they don't overcharge and ruin those batteries. But there's a lot about the diff types of batteries I don't know. I was thinking perhaps something is wrong with the outlet so it does not cut back like a trickle charger?

And remember what I said about it not actually charging my phone but draining it instead?

(That wasn't in the same car drives as when it overheated. But several times I have moved the cord to the second usb outlet because it wasn't charging the phone in the smartphone outlet. )

Again, I have never had this phone get hot like this in any other situation. Nor drain when plugged in. But I have had cords go bad and fail to charge. I suppose that could look like it's draining...

I will put a brand new cord in to first rule that out and see if it at least starts charging - without Android Auto running. Just plug it in and it should charge at least while driving.

Thanks for all the advice and suggestions.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
The charging of your phone is controlled by the phone's internal hardware and firmware. When the phone determines the battery is charged it shuts off current to the battery.
Your phone can use the 1.5 or 2.5 amp usb ports. The phone's hardware limits the max safe charging current for the battery.
The heating of you phone is not the battery charging. the vast majority of heat is caused by the cpu followed by the display's power requirements. The cpu normally is idling ( low clock speed power saving ). When a process or app wakes up, it may demand a high clock speed consuming greater power and producing more heat. You can look in the Task Manager to see what apps are running and how much cpu resources each app is consuming...However Task Manager does not show the running system processes that are consuming cpu resources. There are apps you can download that show everything running and the how fast the cpu is required to run to support all the apps and processes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I find it odd that the smartphone USB port for Android Auto is 1.5 amp output and the USB ports for the rear seat are 2.5 amps.
The 1.5 port is probably powered and connected through the headunit, while the rear is powered directly from the car and has higher amps for tablets.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts