Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Per this image, is this the correct pattern for my 2017 CR-V EX-L AWD? Does the cross really matter as long as you do it the same way each rotation? I've seen some sites that say to cross the opposite of this image. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 9.05.52 PM.png

·
Registered
353 Posts
Depends on your personal preference, wear patterns and also directional tires...or not.

Cross pattern requires non-directional tires and is preferred by many.

I personally do front to back because in my experience when tires are run in reverse after 5-10k miles, they are extremely noisy.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
The way shown in the Diagram is the way I have always done it. RinconVTR might be correct about noise in some situations and of course you if it is directional tires it is priority one that you keep the direction correct.

Rob

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I still have the original stock tires on the CR-V. I don't recall them being directional, but I didn't check the markings yet.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I always thought radial tires had to be rotated front to back, and never rotate in the opposite direction. I have absolutely nothing to reference other than that is what I heard. When I was in high school I worked at a gas station when radials first came out. And that is what my boss told me and I have heard it from other tire places as well. Perhaps now that is not the case now as tires have come a long way in....well more years than I care to state.

Went to the Michelin site and they said do what your manufacturer tells you. I noticed that tire noise got really loud after the last rotation. It was loud but acceptable, but after the rotation it got really loud. Dealer rotated it so I assume they crossed the fronts.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
criss cross rotation has caused tire belts to break, not as common these days but it's still a risk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
974 Posts
Per this image, is this the correct pattern for my 2017 CR-V EX-L AWD? Does the cross really matter as long as you do it the same way each rotation? I've seen some sites that say to cross the opposite of this image. Thanks!

View attachment 126113
Probably optimal for wear but more difficult for the DIYer. I was doing front/back with 2 stands and a floor jack.

Fortunately I replaced the OEM kooks and plan to let Discount Tire do criss-cross rotations every 5000 miles or so.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Probably optimal for wear but more difficult for the DIYer. I was doing front/back with 2 stands and a floor jack.

Fortunately I replaced the OEM kooks and plan to let Discount Tire do criss-cross rotations every 5000 miles or so.
I second this, mainly because of the amount of turns we do with the front tires we want to criss cross the rears so they too have their chance of wearing evenly when they're mounted up to the front.

I would recommend investing in additional two jack stands that way you can have the entire car up just once without having to lift the driver side then move tires then drop to lift the passenger side then drop to finally being able to lift the entire front to swap those out.
NEVER use a floor jack to keep your car up, the ONLY thing keeping that floor jack up is a tiny rubber O-ring that usually fails over 2-3 years.

Also torque to correct specs in a STAR pattern and recheck torque after 500miles :)

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
take the extra step to remove off the rim outer to inner side of the full 4 tires. if you have a full spare not the Donught spare, add in the 5th Honda should have kept a full rim spare.

Every 5K give or take if you skip you d be okay don;t panic.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
6000 is the recommended range but you can go a lot longer in between without any ill effects, but will need to match the interval the next time. As long as you dont exceed 2.5% circumference difference between front and rear on the 4wd or awd versions (actual all wheel drive is not the same as real time 4wd)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Haven't rotated yet, but plan to this week.

May be a dumb question, but do I need to also reset the TPMS sensors if the tires are in new positions?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Haven't rotated yet, but plan to this week.

May be a dumb question, but do I need to also reset the TPMS sensors if the tires are in new positions?
Yes. First you will have to change the tire pressures, the front ones use 33 psi, the rear ones 30 psi, then calibrate the TPMS as the owner's manual describes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes. First you will have to change the tire pressures, the front ones use 33 psi, the rear ones 30 psi, then calibrate the TPMS as the owner's manual describes.
Thank you. I just came across that on page 504/505 of my Owner's Manual.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts