Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd problem (as usual). I set my guidance volume at 11. A few weeks later, I notice that it's getting very hard to hear the voice prompts, so I check the setting and it mysteriously shows the guidance volume set at 3 or 4. I haven't made any changes. This has happened repeatedly. I am the only driver of this car and only use the key labeled "Driver 1." Any ideas about what is happening? And how to make it stop changing by itself?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I have an odd problem (as usual). I set my guidance volume at 11. A few weeks later, I notice that it's getting very hard to hear the voice prompts, so I check the setting and it mysteriously shows the guidance volume set at 3 or 4. I haven't made any changes. This has happened repeatedly. I am the only driver of this car and only use the key labeled "Driver 1." Any ideas about what is happening? And how to make it stop changing by itself?
Yes. Exorcism.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Are you increasing/decreasing volume when the guidance voice is speaking? Try it.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
@cheez is right. The system seems to store the volume level for each app separately. The problem that I have noticed is that it’s a bit buggy! Sometimes my phone call volume level drops and sometimes it stays at the set point for weeks.
Unfortunately I am never able to mess around with it long enough to isolate what actions cause it. The maps are probably running into the same software bug.

Rob

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yup. Took me a while to figure this one out. If you touch the volume at all while the guidance is speaking, then it turns the guidance volume down in the settings. It's counter-intuitive, because say you are having an issue hearing the guidance, my first instinct was to turn the volume down because what I *thought* I was doing was turning the music down; however, I was turning the guidance down. So the only thing you can do is go into the settings, turn it way up, and then when it is talking, don't touch the volume - or if you are having issues hearing it talking, wait until it is done and *then* lower the volume on your music a bit.

It's not the greatest....my 2013 Civic Si is better.

·
Registered
113 Posts
If you touch the volume at all while the guidance is speaking, then it turns the guidance volume down in the settings.
Not quite. While 'the voice' is speaking, the volume control adjusts it, not the radio or other audio. If the guidance volume is too low, crank the knob up while it's speaking. You can force it to talk by touching the upper left corner while navigating and prompt it to tell you what the next instruction will be.

This drove me crazy for a while. Like the OP, I tried to turn the radio down and turned down the voice instead.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all! Well, that's definitely counter-intuitive, but highly likely to be happening. When the voice is talking, I frequently turn down the radio. I'll try adjusting the guidance voice back up using the radio volume control and let you know if this solves the mystery.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I was experiencing this as well until I disabled the slide volume feature on the steering wheel. I was touching it by accident sometimes even when making a turn and all of a sudden the radio was blasting me out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, adjusting the "radio" volume down while the voice guidance was talking was exactly what was turning down my "voice guidance" volume. Amazing how many things aren't in our owner's manual. Thank you all!

·
Registered
73 Posts
A contributing factor to getting the right balance between the radio/music/podcast/phone call audio and the map guidance volume is that the map volume can only be adjusted from 0 to 11 and all the other volumes have a range of 0 to 40. If you listen to the other audio sources at any level above 11, the map guidance "voice" will have a hard time being heard over top of it. I've discussed this several time with Honda Technical Support, but they seem to think it's a problem with my iPhone or the CarPlay app. I disagree. All audio sources should have the same range of volume adjustment in the CR-V .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts