Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I’m new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have a 2017 CR-V LX and I wanted to replace the headunit because I find the factory one to be bad. I looked online but can not find any adapters to keep the steering wheel controls. Has anyone upgraded their system and retained the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes and the kits that they offer only retain the back-up camera. That why I was asking here if anyone has been able to retain the steering wheel controls. I thought maybe someone had some directions on how to do it.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Someone in this thread claims to have successful hooked up the steering wheel controls to their aftermarket headunit...

·
Registered
74 Posts
A couple months ago I bought an Alpine head unit from Crutchfield and all wiring harnesses needed, including steering wheel controls. And for a small additional fee, they wired all the harnesses together to installation was literally plug and play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 EX urban silver metallic ,
8 Posts
Hey everyone I’m new to this forum so sorry if this is in the wrong section. I have a 2017 CR-V LX and I wanted to replace the headunit because I find the factory one to be bad. I looked online but can not find any adapters to keep the steering wheel controls. Has anyone upgraded their system and retained the steering wheel controls?
My vehicle is a 2016 EX.
I went to Best Buy an got a JVC head unit with Apple car play with CD/DVDplayer. All the parts and labor came up to 950.00. There are adaptive wiring harnesses that have to be bought, everything worked.....except....left and right turn signals would trigger the right side camera, the rear camera was terrible, I mean really bad.... and the worst thing was the head unit would not dim at night. So you had this bright light in your face while it was dark out. Turns out there is no dimmer wire on the 2016 CR-V. It seems that Best Buy techs could not figure out how to wire into the console dimmer lights or control. So ended up putting back my old unit and it has separate dimmer control from the console. According to Best Buy, there are no head units that have separate dimmer controls for after market radios. I wanted Apple car play, but it wasn’t worth the money or not being able to see at night. So my old head unit sounds fine to me, and I got a 6” TomTom to navigate with.

·
Registered
2016 CRV EX
66 Posts
if you are doing the install yourself i recommend the following:
1) decide what radio to buy, coz this will dictate what type of harness and SWC module you need:
a) idatalink compatible radios - jvc/kenwood/pioneer (use idatalink rr and maestro - a bit pricey)
b) non idatalink compatbl radios - sony (metra axxess wire harness and aswc-1 for steering wheel control - a bit cheaper/ if the lx have the analog steering wheel controls signals (not thru the can bus) then you could do away with the aswc-1; sony has a built in steering button programming

2) subscribe for one day $10/day at hondatechinfo.com - download all the radio schematics, connectors, include the bluetooth module, imid display etc [1 day is more than enough if you do it on a weekend]

3) from the schematic - look for the termination points of the steering wheel control buttons; normally the audio SWC controls are terminated in the radio but the hands free buttons are located elsewhere - like in the bluetooth module

4) search for recent radio upgrade posts in this site; i saw a lot of new posts regarding this matter

1 - 9 of 9 Posts