Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm still waiting for my '17 Touring to arrive at the dealership for delivery, but I'm already thinking about upgrading the speakers in it pretty soon after I get it. The stock system sounds pretty good, but I'm hoping that replacing the speakers in the front and rear doors will improve upon the slightly tinny and hollow sound I experienced while playing around with the test drive vehicle earlier this week.

If you have done anything to improve the sound quality in your new V, please post about it here and let me / us know what you did and how it sounds. I don't want to read about full system replacement, as it would seem foolish to change out the entire touch screen interface to install an aftermarket head unit. Let's here about specific speakers / component kits, amps, subs, adapters, ANC deactivation, and tip & tricks. Thanks!

·
Registered
337 Posts
For me i feel the problem is bass. Rise it just a bit and it sounds like the speakers have a sore throat. I would wait a bit to see what people come up with. I dont want to throw a power cable or rip open plastic panels. I would rather keep it stock and maybe install a sub with the existing Hardware if that's possible.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really wish Honda would put in at least a 5-band equalizer instead of what amounts to a 3-band with the bass, mid, and treble sliders. I have a friend with a '17 Outback, and the adjustments he can make with his OEM equalizer makes a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
91 Posts
For me i feel the problem is bass. Rise it just a bit and it sounds like the speakers have a sore throat. I would wait a bit to see what people come up with. I dont want to throw a power cable or rip open plastic panels. I would rather keep it stock and maybe install a sub with the existing Hardware if that's possible.
The Touring model has a factory sub. Is it not good? I never got to test drive a Touring (was stuck with EX and EX-L), so I never got to play with the 330W sound system that my Touring will have.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
That's not, and was never supposed to be, a speaker grille. (A center speaker on a car? Its a car, not a home theater). It's to vent the dash electronics and provide a window for the GPS antenna, which is just underneath.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
That's not, and was never supposed to be, a speaker grille. (A center speaker on a car? Its a car, not a home theater). It's to vent the dash electronics and provide a window for the GPS antenna, which is just underneath.
Well to be fair, I had a TL with a front center channel in that spot. THAT stereo sounded really good. Especially with the DVD audio disks it could play.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Was never supposed to be a center speaker? Who told you that, the product planners?

The Civic does have a center speaker in there and the name of the part on the Honda Parts Catalog for the CR-V is "Center Speaker Lid"

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Products/Honda-LID-ASSY-CENTER-SPEAKER-NH900L__77240-TLA-A01ZA.aspx

·
Registered
679 Posts
Well to be fair, I had a TL with a front center channel in that spot. THAT stereo sounded really good. Especially with the DVD audio disks it could play.
The civic touring sounds amazing with that speaker. Navi voice comes out of the center speaker.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I've got the exl with the 7 speaker system. The radio/Sirius sounds mediocre. Plug in my phone and play iHeartRadio and the quality is very good. Its almost as if this stereo is tuned specifically for iHeartRadio-pandora doesn't even compare. There's deep bass/high treble and it just seems like iHeartRadio brings out the best of this mediocre audio system. Similar to how HD radio sounded in my previous Ford Sony system which I thought was good for a factory setup.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry I don't really have much input, but I am very interested in this as well. I imagine though, it will be some time before aftermarket options that don't include external amps and subs will be available. I can tell you that I had an 8" bazooka bass tube with the amp built into it in my last company truck. The installer turned everything up and I was blown away by how much bass came out of that thing. If you don't mind losing the real estate in the cargo area, I would go this way.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've got the exl with the 7 speaker system. The radio/Sirius sounds mediocre. Plug in my phone and play iHeartRadio and the quality is very good. Its almost as if this stereo is tuned specifically for iHeartRadio-pandora doesn't even compare. There's deep bass/high treble and it just seems like iHeartRadio brings out the best of this mediocre audio system. Similar to how HD radio sounded in my previous Ford Sony system which I thought was good for a factory setup.
That's interesting, my Pilot sounds amazing when I play music off a flash drive but not so great from any other source. XM is particularly lousy sounding.

·
Registered
92 Posts
XM is particularly lousy sounding.
I've noticed that channels that are voice (e.g. CNN etc) sound bad. Very compressed sounding...they probably use a low bandwidth CODEC for those and save the higher quality for the music channels.
(As a side note, has anyone noticed that the music playlists seem very small? I seem to keep hearing the same songs over and over).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been disappointed by the Honda sound systems in my last 3 vehicles. Why can't Honda put a kick a$$ stereo and awesome speakers in any of its vehicles? They always seem to miss the mark on them.

Do any of you think that the active noise cancellation feature of the CR-V is affecting the sound from the speakers? Perhaps it's interfering in some way?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have been disappointed by the Honda sound systems in my last 3 vehicles. Why can't Honda put a kick a$$ stereo and awesome speakers in any of its vehicles? They always seem to miss the mark on them.
They save the good sound systems for Acura. It's how they make the upsell seem more with it. The ELS system in my TL was crazy good.

Do any of you think that the active noise cancellation feature of the CR-V is affecting the sound from the speakers? Perhaps it's interfering in some way?
It must degrade the sound to some extent. You're putting two different sources through the same speakers. Hopefully we can figure out how to turn it off in the hidden settings.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Lots of cars have center speakers, including both of our BMW i3's. Seems like a missed opportunity for the CRV. Not even sure why you would take the time to read and reply to an audio upgrade thread if you don't think cars need more than a minimum amount of speakers.

1 - 20 of 214 Posts