Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

181 - 200 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have a similar setup, I have a Touring (w/ oem amp). I put a set of infinity kappa components in last year and wired them both together via the crossover unit. I effectively abandoned the factory tweeter wire.
Do you mind posting a picture of the infinity tweeters installed? I don't think I saw it in your audio build log thread. I'm still looking for a set that would mostly blend with the rest of the trim.

And where did you end up putting the crossover - inside the door lining behind the vapor cover?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Do you mind posting a picture of the infinity tweeters installed? I don't think I saw it in your audio build log thread. I'm still looking for a set that would mostly blend with the rest of the trim.

And where did you end up putting the crossover - inside the door lining behind the vapor cover?
I just added a post to the build log thread with finished tweeters. They look stock. Notice that I had to put some weather stripping around the tweeter to get it to fit snug and then some silicone caulk for good measure. It's a hair smaller than oem. You can't tell from the outside.

Speaker Upgrade and Sound Deadening Build Log https://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179442

I attached the crossover with industrial strength Velcro on the plastic interior door panel. I don't have a good picture but there's a perfect spot. There's a white hollow resonance reduction chamber and a spot on the side of it where it is smooth and perfect size.

It's a little awkward getting the panel on and off because wires are attached but it works.

I didn't want the electronics on the "wet" side of the vapor barrier nor where it could snag the window.

If you go in there repair that vapor barrier. It's not put on well.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
127 Posts
I just added a post to the build log thread with finished tweeters.
Looks good. I could live without the chrome ring around it but there aren't too many options when you consider performance, price and aesthetics. Looks like you removed the infinity logos unless I'm looking at the wrong Kappa components.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Looks good. I could live without the chrome ring around it but there aren't too many options when you consider performance, price and aesthetics. Looks like you removed the infinity logos unless I'm looking at the wrong Kappa components.
The logo came as stickers. Didn't put on.

·
Registered
650 Posts
So after a yr with the Memphis Audio sub and Kicker amp I've been very pleased with my decision. However, now I'd like to bump it up a notch. Trying to decide best bang for my buck on this. I think the factory components are pretty good but wonder if they could be helped by installing a dedicated amp. If so what power could they handle? Next choice would be to replace door spkrs. Would probably only do the fronts cause no one ever rides in the back. If I didn't do a dedicated amp and used the factory one would it be enough to power the aftermkt spkrs.? Probably looking at JL, Focal or Infinity Kappas. Any thoughts on this? Gee, that's a dumb question isn't it? Thanks.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Really? No one has anything to offer? My stereo shop says to try amp first and should take care of brightening the factory spkrs. He rec. Kenwood Excelon X 301-4 or XR401-4. About 150.00 diff. in price. Bueller, Bueller?

·
Registered
835 Posts
Really? No one has anything to offer? My stereo shop says to try amp first and should take care of brightening the factory spkrs. He rec. Kenwood Excelon X 301-4 or XR401-4. About 150.00 diff. in price. Bueller, Bueller?
I would start the other way, with speakers, and add amp later if you need more volume (you are in EX, right?). But the reality is that it doesn't matter, you're going to want both I feel...

I have OEM amp and just went with speakers and significant sound deadening and resonance control and am very pleased without aftermarket.

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have EX-L w/ Nav, but not sure it is different than EX or not. I'm just afraid w/ upper end spkrs like JL Audio, Infinity or Focal that the factory amp won't be enough to power them.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My ears prefer JL Audio speakers...especially the components.
I'm also partial to JL Audio amps...they sound great and last a very long time

·
Registered
835 Posts
I have EX-L w/ Nav, but not sure it is different than EX or not. I'm just afraid w/ upper end spkrs like JL Audio, Infinity or Focal that the factory amp won't be enough to power them.
This was my logic for getting the kappas over JL audio. They are designed to work with a little less.

The rule of car audio is to get what you eventually want. If you are pretty sure you'll eventually get an amp, get the speakers to go with your future system.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ok, doing an about face on this. Think I'm gonna do spkrs first and hope the head unit amp can push them enough. Leaning towards Infinity Kappa 60CSX. Lower impedence so shouldn't need as much power. Crutchfield has them priced at $225 now so I'm gonna get an install price from my shop. Probably get the amp later on but will try this for now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just finished sound deadening my 2019 EX-L doors and replacing the stock speakers with these:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-h9efPasuNp4/p_130TSA652C/Pioneer-TS-A652C.html

Night and day! I'm pleased with the sound quality, now.

I was shocked to see how flimsy and light the stock woofers were.
Just installed Pioneer TS-A1686S (TS-A1686R) 4-way speakers in front and rear doors of my 2018 CR-V. Yes, now sound is coming out of 21 speakers. What an improvement in low end response. Entire frequency spectrum is crisper and really fills the car very well with sound. The TS-A1686S/R are 91dB sensitivity speakers. The TS-A652C are 85dB sensitivity. dB sound pressure levels are logarithmic numbers so a 6dB difference equates to the speakers being 3.98 (say 4) times louder. Output frequency rating of the TS-A1686 is 32 to 38,000 Hz. The TS-A652C speakers are rated at 34 to 49,000 Hz. Both are rated at 350 watts peak power. The subwoofer is still stock with sound setting set to MAX.

·
Registered
835 Posts
With the door panel speaker replacement is everyone keeping the tweeter?
Everyone, no. Everyone is a high bar. If you go to audio forums they will tell you components in front and coax in back for rear fill. This is what some do, and many feel it is good enough for front seat passengers.

I wouldn't drop tweeters in both front and rear myself, but Im a pretty detailed audiophile. One less decision to doubt or undo later on.

ANYTHING you do will be an upgrade over stock.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Just installed Pioneer TS-A1686S (TS-A1686R) 4-way speakers in front and rear doors of my 2018 CR-V. Yes, now sound is coming out of 21 speakers. What an improvement in low end response. Entire frequency spectrum is crisper and really fills the car very well with sound. The TS-A1686S/R are 91dB sensitivity speakers. The TS-A652C are 85dB sensitivity. dB sound pressure levels are logarithmic numbers so a 6dB difference equates to the speakers being 3.98 (say 4) times louder. Output frequency rating of the TS-A1686 is 32 to 38,000 Hz. The TS-A652C speakers are rated at 34 to 49,000 Hz. Both are rated at 350 watts peak power. The subwoofer is still stock with sound setting set to MAX.
That's very nice. I believe that Pioneer delivers good quality, indeed.
But based on my spectral measurements, I doubt that the headunit is able to deliver those very low bass frequencies required to make the difference between 34 and 32 Hz (@ -20dB), even with V4A settings maximized for deep bass (+12dB). Beside, this is the frequency domain assigned to the subwoofer.

·
Registered
835 Posts
That's very nice. I believe that Pioneer delivers good quality, indeed.
But based on my spectral measurements, I doubt that the headunit is able to deliver those very low bass frequencies required to make the difference between 34 and 32 Hz (@ -20dB), even with V4A settings maximized for deep bass (+12dB). Beside, this is the frequency domain assigned to the subwoofer.
In that setup the stock sub should be replaced immediately with at least a drop in replacement like the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 that I put in. It only goes to 38hz on the low end, you are limited by stock cone size here, but the difference is huge with v4a. I don't know that there is an 8" woofer that can get that low, maybe?

·
Registered
9 Posts
In that setup the stock sub should be replaced immediately with at least a drop in replacement like the Rockford Fosgate P3SD4-8 that I put in. It only goes to 38hz on the low end, you are limited by stock cone size here, but the difference is huge with v4a. I don't know that there is an 8" woofer that can get that low, maybe?

The issue being highlighted was not 32 vs 34 Hz but the improved sensitivity of the Pioneer TS-A1686 speakers. The head unit does deliver low frequency content to the speakers (particularly to the front door speakers). Without replacing the stock subwoofer, the door speakers are adding low frequency content so that you can now "feel it" inside the car with the volume set to 20. Most of the car subwoofers have sensitivities in the low to mid 80s. So to get the low frequency sound level up to the "feeling it" state, you have to insert some powerful amplification between the source and the speaker to compensate for the inefficiency of the speaker. Crutchfield indicates that the CR-V back speaker is a mid-range/mid-bass speaker rather than a subwoofer. As an engineer, my approach was to minimize cost and installation headache to improve overall sound quality (crispness) and add more bass without having to rewire the car and find space for another amplifier. It may not be the optimum solution, but for low cost, this was a solution that made my ears happy. I tried the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 as a replacement for the stock back 8-inch speaker but that made it worse because of the lower speaker sensitivity, so I put the stock back speaker back in.

181 - 200 of 214 Posts