Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

201 - 214 of 214 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
What
The issue being highlighted was not 32 vs 34 Hz but the improved sensitivity of the Pioneer TS-A1686 speakers. The head unit does deliver low frequency content to the speakers (particularly to the front door speakers). Without replacing the stock subwoofer, the door speakers are adding low frequency content so that you can now "feel it" inside the car with the volume set to 20. Most of the car subwoofers have sensitivities in the low to mid 80s. So to get the low frequency sound level up to the "feeling it" state, you have to insert some powerful amplification between the source and the speaker to compensate for the inefficiency of the speaker. Crutchfield indicates that the CR-V back speaker is a mid-range/mid-bass speaker rather than a subwoofer. As an engineer, my approach was to minimize cost and installation headache to improve overall sound quality (crispness) and add more bass without having to rewire the car and find space for another amplifier. It may not be the optimum solution, but for low cost, this was a solution that made my ears happy. I tried the Pioneer TS-SW2002D2 as a replacement for the stock back 8-inch speaker but that made it worse because of the lower speaker sensitivity, so I put the stock back speaker back in.
If you enjoy your sound, then that's the only thing that matters.

Fyi, with my 4 x TS-A652C Pioneer speakers, a Kenwood underseat subwoofer (volume set at 2/3 and crossover at ~65Hz) and V4A corrections, I can only listen with the volume set at 19, when I'm alone in the car. 21 is too much.
Using component speakers (even in the back) matters, imho.
Sound deadening all 4 doors matters even more.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a pair of JL Audio C2-650X speakers installed in the front doors. There is a very noticeable improvement in the mid range as I desired. Much more detailed with nice depth.
The installer told me that the factory speakers are actually Pioneers and of a good quality. He said the tweets are of very high quality. He also told me the factory head unit is a Pioneer device of rather high quality as well.

I'm very pleased with the sound of the system even with only the factory head unit amp.
I'm probably going to have a JL Audio 4 channel amp installed next year so I can use my 10" sub. I may replace the fronts with JL C5-650 components as well. I really like the C5's.

Hi, Can you tell me if spacers were required for the install of the JL Audio C2-650X? Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
I do not believe so.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just installed Pioneer TS-A1686S (TS-A1686R) 4-way speakers in front and rear doors of my 2018 CR-V. Yes, now sound is coming out of 21 speakers. What an improvement in low end response. Entire frequency spectrum is crisper and really fills the car very well with sound. The TS-A1686S/R are 91dB sensitivity speakers. The TS-A652C are 85dB sensitivity. dB sound pressure levels are logarithmic numbers so a 6dB difference equates to the speakers being 3.98 (say 4) times louder. Output frequency rating of the TS-A1686 is 32 to 38,000 Hz. The TS-A652C speakers are rated at 34 to 49,000 Hz. Both are rated at 350 watts peak power. The subwoofer is still stock with sound setting set to MAX.
I know this is old but are u running the Pioneer 6.5 off the stock hu? What model is ur CRV? We have an Ex and the speakers are distorting more then I want. I was going to install a sub but for our family hauler decided if I can switch out the speakers that will work. I really want to install Pioneer TS-M650PRO but the mounting depth is 3 1/8". Thanks!

·
Registered
514 Posts
I erred, I meant C5-650 JL Audio component speakers not C2.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Question, with all the posts has any one measured things like the mounting depth for speakers in the doors, how much clearance to the window and the size of the tweeter openings etc?

·
1,951 Posts
I haven't seen that here, but there are tons of install videos on YouTube that go into detail on that kind of stuff, so you might look there. For high performance door speakers a lot of then use spacer rings that adjust speaker position for both diameter and depth. I especially like the ones by Five Star Car Stereo and some of the other big installer outfits.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got my morels in, 2 notes Crutchfield doesn't publish the max depth but they obviously know what it is and only show you what they know will fit without issue on the vehicle selector page. The stock speaker is about 1.5" into the door, that tiny magnet is quite tall. Also the stock speaker is quite dynamic at low volume, but has very limited excursion and well sounds like mud. I had to cut out the baffle around the door speaker grille as the morels would touch during excursion, I guess other speakers with high top mounting may do the same.

now the demo

Morel maximo ultra 602 components demo in 2018 honda crv

201 - 214 of 214 Posts