Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 CR-V Audio Upgrade Thread

157K views 228 replies 65 participants last post by  jdcrv 
#1 ·
I'm still waiting for my '17 Touring to arrive at the dealership for delivery, but I'm already thinking about upgrading the speakers in it pretty soon after I get it. The stock system sounds pretty good, but I'm hoping that replacing the speakers in the front and rear doors will improve upon the slightly tinny and hollow sound I experienced while playing around with the test drive vehicle earlier this week.

If you have done anything to improve the sound quality in your new V, please post about it here and let me / us know what you did and how it sounds. I don't want to read about full system replacement, as it would seem foolish to change out the entire touch screen interface to install an aftermarket head unit. Let's here about specific speakers / component kits, amps, subs, adapters, ANC deactivation, and tip & tricks. Thanks!

#2 ·
For me i feel the problem is bass. Rise it just a bit and it sounds like the speakers have a sore throat. I would wait a bit to see what people come up with. I dont want to throw a power cable or rip open plastic panels. I would rather keep it stock and maybe install a sub with the existing Hardware if that's possible.

#3 ·
I really wish Honda would put in at least a 5-band equalizer instead of what amounts to a 3-band with the bass, mid, and treble sliders. I have a friend with a '17 Outback, and the adjustments he can make with his OEM equalizer makes a HUGE difference.

#13 ·
I've got the exl with the 7 speaker system. The radio/Sirius sounds mediocre. Plug in my phone and play iHeartRadio and the quality is very good. Its almost as if this stereo is tuned specifically for iHeartRadio-pandora doesn't even compare. There's deep bass/high treble and it just seems like iHeartRadio brings out the best of this mediocre audio system. Similar to how HD radio sounded in my previous Ford Sony system which I thought was good for a factory setup.

#14 ·
Sorry I don't really have much input, but I am very interested in this as well. I imagine though, it will be some time before aftermarket options that don't include external amps and subs will be available. I can tell you that I had an 8" bazooka bass tube with the amp built into it in my last company truck. The installer turned everything up and I was blown away by how much bass came out of that thing. If you don't mind losing the real estate in the cargo area, I would go this way.

#18 ·
I have been disappointed by the Honda sound systems in my last 3 vehicles. Why can't Honda put a kick a$$ stereo and awesome speakers in any of its vehicles? They always seem to miss the mark on them.

Do any of you think that the active noise cancellation feature of the CR-V is affecting the sound from the speakers? Perhaps it's interfering in some way?

#19 ·
I have been disappointed by the Honda sound systems in my last 3 vehicles. Why can't Honda put a kick a$$ stereo and awesome speakers in any of its vehicles? They always seem to miss the mark on them.
They save the good sound systems for Acura. It's how they make the upsell seem more with it. The ELS system in my TL was crazy good.

Do any of you think that the active noise cancellation feature of the CR-V is affecting the sound from the speakers? Perhaps it's interfering in some way?
It must degrade the sound to some extent. You're putting two different sources through the same speakers. Hopefully we can figure out how to turn it off in the hidden settings.

#22 ·
yeah, 2010 Acura TSX had the best factory system I've ever had. If I remember correctly it had a ctr. spkr in front and the sub was ctr. in rear deck. I almost upgraded to Touring model for the sound system but figured I could do my own stuff later at half the cost.

2017 Molten Lava Pearl EX-L w/ Nav.

#23 ·
Thought the sound on my Touring was decent but I wanted to switch out the stock speakers anyways. Picked up a set of JBL GX602 coaxial speakers from bestbuy and had them install it. Sounds much better now, especially for hip hop and listening to podcasts. Left the stock tweeters in the door.

Below is a photo of the stock speakers to show what they look like, cheap quality and very light.

Attachments

#26 ·
I actually don't think the spkrs are that bad if you tweak your audio settings to 2 notches above ctr. It seems to be more of an issue of source. Mine sounds pretty good if I'm using the phone bluetooth and playing music or Pandora. Sat. radio comes and goes with quality. i've had same issues as others with ipod classic which I used to use as a hard drive basically.
So I'm thinking of putting all my music on a jumpdrive. Never done this before so can you recommend best type? Also what type of control will I have from touchscreen to choose songs, playlists, artists, etc. I've gotten spoiled using my ipod classic and doing everything from the radio itself. Any tips or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

#27 ·
I bought the Lexar 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive from Staples (great sale price this week!) and copied both MP3 and iTunes M4A files to it. My CR-V Touring audio system is able to use it in the 1.0amp USB port. I haven't tried it in the 1.5amp USB port yet, but I want to reserve that one for the USB cable to my iPhone 6+ (although BlueTooth has been working just fine for me so far as well).

My CR-V folders list is organized by artist (it groups albums by the same artist together). That's OK for now. The CR-V touchscreen has a bit of a lag, but it's similar to the old iPod (gen 2) 30GB that I had. I need to play with it a bit more in my spare time. :cool:

#29 ·
Thanks guys. When loading my music from itunes do I need to load it by artist or album or anything? Can I just move a large chunk at a time from itunes to the drive? Sorry to sound like I'm technically challenged just have never done this before.

#32 ·
Hoping someone can answer some questions. I'm in the same boat, turning in a GTI at the end of May and picking up a CRV Touring. Tried the stereo at the end of the test drive and wasn't impressed to say the least.

1) Is there a separate amp from the head unit for the sub? If so, where is it? (Pictures would be great)
2) It looks like the sub is on the passenger side of the trunk area, is that correct?
3) Has anyone replaced the sub without replacing the amp?

Planning to get the following to replace the amp and sub (if applicable). I'll post the results in May.
Sub - Pioneer TS-SW2002D2
Amp - Sound Ordnance M350-1

#35 ·
Have any of you scoped out the best place to put in an aftermarket sub? Seems to be plenty of room under each front seat, what about the rear? If enough room seems like that would be the best location sound wise. Of course I'm talking about an all in one powered sub. Also, does anyone know if you could add an aftermarket amp to power the factory head unit and spkrs?

2017 Molten Lava Pearl EX-L w/Nav.

#37 ·
Thanks for pointing that out. Had not realized the seat bottom moved. That would not have been a pleasant surprise. Guess I'll live with what I got. Kinda wishing I had gone up to Touring now for the upgraded stereo.

2017 Molten Lava Pearl EX-L w/Nav.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.