Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I made a few threads complaining about lacking of SQ and bass in stock system, but I'm going to upgrade the whole system. Probably add a 10 or 12 inch Sub as well.
It will be a slow Work In Progress because I only have weekend, and this is the very first system I've ever done.

I already installed the rear speakers and added MLV and CCF. Rear Doors are now solid. Will snap pictures once I run all door speakers to amp.
To build the system I use

Sony XS-GS1621c Front and sony XS-GS1621 Rear
Alpine MRV-F300
Audio Control LC7i
All wiring is OFC (Oxygen Free Copper)
I have a fun idea of adding RF P300-10 Sub for space saving.

Teasers

I use Civic Harness as reference. All wires located in the same locations, some wires have different colors.
I used A3 to power my LC7i.

Harness.jpg

How to Remove Headunit

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I replaced all door speakers in my EX-L, I can tell the difference. However, if you're not going to add an amp, 100-150 bucks 4 speakers set will be more than enough.

DO BUY COMPONENTS SPEAKERS. Coaxial doesn't well since rear door tweeters are also separated from woofer.

More pictures are coming this weekend. Everything is waiting to be snapped into placed. All wires are routed.

I can post videos of how to route the wires if you guys want to know how.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I replaced all door speakers in my EX-L, I can tell the difference. However, if you're not going to add an amp, 100-150 bucks 4 speakers set will be more than enough.

DO BUY COMPONENTS SPEAKERS. Coaxial doesn't well since rear door tweeters are also separated from woofer.

More pictures are coming this weekend. Everything is waiting to be snapped into placed. All wires are routed.

I can post videos of how to route the wires if you guys want to know how.
Yes please. You added an amp too? If yes can you upload sound clips please. I want to do the same setup with 5channel amp and sub.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I'm also quite interested in what you do with the sub, how you wired it, and whether the Active Noise Cancellation system became an issue for you, as I've read about on Accords and Pilots. Thank you for sharing!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've encountered some complications. I had all kind of light from unhooking negative. DO NOT FREAK OUT! Just drive it for few minutes, system will stabilize.

Also need to find a 12v constant source for my LC7i. Not sure if splitting 12v wire from head unit is a good idea.

Does the CR-V have ANC? It doesn't matter any NC system is BS anyway. To answer your question, it shouldn't since I run everything on new system.

I'll post everything once I'm done with everything. I still need distribution block for my ground.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just curious, how well did the oem amp handle the new speakers? Loud enough for your tastes? Distortion? OEM speakers are usually very efficient so they don't need a lot of power. Wondering if the oem amp is enough. I know aftermarket amp will make a significant difference but it may be beyond my capabilities. Thanks.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just curious, how well did the oem amp handle the new speakers? Loud enough for your tastes? Distortion? OEM speakers are usually very efficient so they don't need a lot of power. Wondering if the oem amp is enough. I know aftermarket amp will make a significant difference but it may be beyond my capabilities. Thanks.
LOL There is no amp unless you get Touring trim. Speakers powered by headunit, but stock speakers are cheaper made. Cone is made of plastic, and speakers sound muddy when you play Spotify of higher quality sound track. Benefit of aftermarket amp and LC7i are to restore SQ and to eliminate bass roll off, respectively.

·
Registered
53 Posts
LOL There is no amp unless you get Touring trim. Speakers powered by headunit, but stock speakers are cheaper made. Cone is made of plastic, and speakers sound muddy when you play Spotify of higher quality sound track. Benefit of aftermarket amp and LC7i are to restore SQ and to eliminate bass roll off, respectively.
Technically, there is an amp, it's just in the headunit and it's probably not very good or powerful.

The specs says the EX-L is a 180w system with 8 speakers, which means it likely has a 45w x 4 channel amp. The Touring is a 330w system with 9 speakers, including the sub. Since the headunit for the EX-L and Touring is likely the same (maybe?), I wouldn't be surprised if the Touring contains the same 45w x 4 amp for the four sets of speakers plus a separate 150w amp for the sub. It'll be interesting if someone with a Touring can confirm.

Anyway, look forward to seeing pictures of your setup and how you install all your components.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You're right, there should be a built-in amp to drive speakers. ANYWAY...

I'm done with installation. Need to troubleshoot some weird noise, clean up wiring, vacuum the floor and I'll post detail, SQ and wiring video.

·
Registered
102 Posts
You're right, there should be a built-in amp to drive speakers. ANYWAY...

I'm done with installation. Need to troubleshoot some weird noise, clean up wiring, vacuum the floor and I'll post detail, SQ and wiring video.
That's awesome that you got it wrapped up. It would take me a long time to do a project like that. Excited to see your upcoming posts!

Regarding the strange noise... If you can't find any other noise source, I still think the active noise cancellation might cause problems. I'm still not clear if it exists on the trims without a factory sub, but there are lots of threads about aftermarket stereo systems not playing well with the Honda ANC (I've seen it on Ridgeline, Accord and Pilot forums).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's awesome that you got it wrapped up. It would take me a long time to do a project like that. Excited to see your upcoming posts!

Regarding the strange noise... If you can't find any other noise source, I still think the active noise cancellation might cause problems. I'm still not clear if it exists on the trims without a factory sub, but there are lots of threads about aftermarket stereo systems not playing well with the Honda ANC (I've seen it on Ridgeline, Accord and Pilot forums).
I got 4 vibrating thumb from the sub at start up and hissing noise from speakers. I'll do investigation once I clean up the carpet full with copper. LOL I will start with re-grounding each amp instead of running them into distribution block. Shorten all the writing and move LC7i as close as possible to the amp. If it doesn't solve the problem, I'll check the GAIN and other setting. I haven't had time to tune the sound yet, so hopefully it's just that. I did research ANC is on all trim level. I'll probably try to find a way to disable it if nothing else work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unplugged the Active Noise cancellation, and thumbing at start up is gone. I'll test mic for calling to be sure.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sound Demo Video is also on the OP. Apologize my presentation skill. I don't do youtube for living. LOL

Scino,
Can you share how/where you unplugged the ANC? I'm also interested in where you put your sub. Thanks!
ANC is very easy to disable. And mic still works after you disable it.

1. Remove the side plastic attach to the dash.

2. Remove bottom plastic panel that hides 2 bottom screws
3. Remove 3 top screws and 2 bottom screws.

4. Pull the glove box.

Here's where I put my sub. Very compact.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Can someone confirm the statement on the other page saying there is no amp and the entire headunit is powering it?

I dont think its good to confuse others and say "there is an amp, its just in the headunit"?!?

Even in the mid 90s, many upgraded trim levels with better sound integrated a factory amp that was separate and external from the headunit.

I would be shocked if they didn't do the same for the Honda.

Usually in car audio talk, its either you have an external amp or you don't. No saying "there is an amp its in the headunit" It's either you have the headunit powering the speakers or an external amp.

180W system might sound like it could just be headunit power. I wonder if thats RMS watts. same goes for the touring's 330w.but I do agree it might just be a separate amp for just the sub itself.

If there is an external amp somewhere, this is where i like to go to wire a new amp to power the speakers and to wire new speakers in general (except sub) . Because all the wire leads to the speakers will all be in this location. I've done it in vehicles in the past. Others will run entirely new wiring all over the car to the new amp. Which real hardcore audio guys do due to noise and other things but ive never had issues with interference.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Can someone confirm the statement on the other page saying there is no amp and the entire headunit is powering it?

I dont think its good to confuse others and say "there is an amp, its just in the headunit"?!?

Even in the mid 90s, many upgraded trim levels with better sound integrated a factory amp that was separate and external from the headunit.

I would be shocked if they didn't do the same for the Honda.

Usually in car audio talk, its either you have an external amp or you don't. No saying "there is an amp its in the headunit" It's either you have the headunit powering the speakers or an external amp.

180W system might sound like it could just be headunit power. I wonder if thats RMS watts. same goes for the touring's 330w.but I do agree it might just be a separate amp for just the sub itself.

If there is an external amp somewhere, this is where i like to go to wire a new amp to power the speakers and to wire new speakers in general (except sub) . Because all the wire leads to the speakers will all be in this location. I've done it in vehicles in the past. Others will run entirely new wiring all over the car to the new amp. Which real hardcore audio guys do due to noise and other things but ive never had issues with interference.
Well. I removed pretty much everything, there isn't an external amp. Headunit amp powers all speakers. Only Touring trim with Subwoofer has external amp.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts