Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Historical Information: Replaced windshield with non-Honda OEM windshield from a company that was recommended by the dealership service manager. All functions related to the camera worked after installation for almost exactly one (1) year. S
While sitting behind a major traffic accident for 2 hours on a long road trip for two hours the driver information center changed and codes came up (CAM, LKAS, symbols for Road departure mitigation, Outside temperature was in the mid-70's, Getting rolling again, I found that CMBS,ACC, Road departure, headlight automatic dimming, cruise control, odometer, B trip odometer were not working.
Getting back home to the dealership that I purchaced the CRV. After the tech went through the camera analysis, he said it had to be the non-OEM windshield. Only replacing the windshield with a Honda unit will restore the camera functions. The cost is 3 times what a non-Honda windshield cost.

Anybody have similar experience and or recommendations.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L FWD
405 Posts
While this will not help you ... by my being aware of these many windshild replacement complaints I purchased (from the dealer) a windshield replacement policy (about $700 as I recall/ 5 year coverage). This is over and above my regular insurance policy. Now (if needed) it's their problem.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,703 Posts
Never in the history of earth would a honda service advisor recommend a non oem windshield on a new vehicle.

you tried to save a few dollars initially and now it will cost you double in the end.

at this point see what your glass deductible is and just break it and file a claim

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,511 Posts
Never in the history of earth would a honda service advisor recommend a non oem windshield on a new vehicle.

you tried to save a few dollars initially and now it will cost you double in the end.

at this point see what your glass deductible is and just break it and file a claim
What makes you assume it is the window glass here? Because the service person could find no other cause and said so?

The entire system worked for a full year after the glass was replaced. And even non-OEM glass is still produced on the same line, using the same tooling, glass compounds, etc... as the OEM glass. Don't believe me... check who makes glass for Honda and who still even makes glass for modern vehicles... the list is the same.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,511 Posts
Getting back home to the dealership that I purchaced the CRV. After the tech went through the camera analysis, he said it had to be the non-OEM windshield. Only replacing the windshield with a Honda unit will restore the camera functions. The cost is 3 times what a non-Honda windshield cost.
They ALWAYS say this. It's an easy out for them to always blame a non-OEM part... be it glass or some other part. Basicaly, an easy default when they cannot find the cause. But it does not mean that is the actual cause.. so I would do a bit more investigation before popping for new glass.

I have also had my glass replaced, and with non-OEM glass.. but it is FuYao glass (from their north american factory) and they make a lot of glass for Honda (all the other glass in my CRV was FuYao with Honda OEM logos on it). It did not even require recalibration after the install either, as I did a very complete road test of all the functions and they all matched operation to before the glass was replaced. Sometimes a sloppy install of the glass could cause need for recalibration, but my installer was top notch and I had no resulting issues in my case.

If the camera failed immediately after the glass was replaced..... then I would conclude something wrong with either the glass or the installation of the glass. But from your post, this is not the case at all.

If the glass worked fine for a year now... then it is likely something else. I wonder if they even really checked the camera, and checked calibration of the camera. My first suspicion would be the connection to the camera under the cover assembly. Maybe unplug it and plug it back in again. It is also possible the camera assembly simply failed, which could happen. If they did not swap the camera (easy to do) to check and see if that solved the problem.... then they are incompetent in my view.

I'm honestly not sure why a camera issue would cause all the errors you noted. Some of them are valid if there is a camera issue... but come on..... odometer, B trip odometer have nothing to do with the camera.

I would take it to a different dealer for a second opinion diagnosis before taking the advice of this service person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.