Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

I read somewhere where we can replace the Ex-L radio/navigation unit with the Touring navigation unit, as both have the exact same footprint.

The purpose is that my wife prefers the built in navigation as we have had in our other vehicles (Lexus, Toyota, etc.) vs the Apple Car Play from her phone, especially in remote areas where cell pickup is less than desireable.

I tried searching this site to find the thread but couldn’t pull it up for some reason, so please pardon the redundancy of this post.

I spoke with the parts department at the Honda dealer today and they hadn’t heard of doing a swap to upgrade the navigation system, and they initially took the position of “what the vin number says is what we will replace”, but did seem amenable to the concept since it would be another Honda exclusive part.

And for those that want to say “buy this garmin for $150...” please don’t bother. We’ll determine the cost effectiveness vs desire-ability/convenience ourselves, but and appreciate the thought. Just want to be efficient in the post. Thanks to all the contributors here and on the Owners Club site. Your participation is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If I'm understanding what you want, there's actually a couple of pieces and possibly more than I am not aware of.

In this image, #4 is the Center Display Assembly, which may have different part numbers for the EX-L, Navi, and Touring models. It lists for US $690.

Auto part Automotive lighting Automotive window part Diagram Transfer case part

But #1 is "Audio Unit", which for the Touring models has a list price of US $2,512, and may also require different mounting brackets.

I don't know if the wiring harnesses will be the same, so even if it's physically possible to install the unit, I don't know if you can plug it in to your existing wiring harness.

Edit: I was also checking the antenna, and there appears to be an electronic component in the rear that might also need to be replaced.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Edit: I was also checking the antenna, and there appears to be an electronic component in the rear that might also need to be replaced.
That's the tuner. Probably interchangeable. The thing I'd wonder about is if the EX-L and Touring share the implementation of separate power amplifier. Answer: per parts catalog, they don't.

OP says wants to swap EX-L "Navigation" unit with Touring "Navigation" unit to get built in nav. Why not an "EX-L no nav trim" "audio unit" for an "EX-L with nav trim" "audio unit"? Still not sure OP won't run into other issues but at least that swap avoids the amplifier issue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts