Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CR-V problems and issues thread,

This is my first visit to the CR-V forum, and I was wondering if anyone had the knowledge and could advise me. I was taking my wife's car for a drive, and thought I would clean up her cup console first. I moved a pair of her sunglasses into the overhead eyeglass holder, not noticing there was a pair in there already. The eyeglass holder clicked halfway closed, exposing the mirror, but now it is full, so it will neither open, nor close. I realize I should have paid more attention when operating this, but now I am in a bind.

I cannot remove the upper console because I cannot access the two screws inside the eyeglass holder. I cannot close it without crushing one or both of the pairs of eyeglasses. I cannot open it because I cannot push it up enough to click and release the catch.

Can anyone suggest a way to release the eyeglass holder so it will open again, and then I can remove the extra pair of sunglasses, and never do this again.

Thank you so much!

·
Registered
516 Posts
if you got the glasses in you should be able to get them out.
You could just bite the bullet, pull down the holder snap it and spend the 20-40 to replace vs smash the glasses.

There are a bunch of "DIY" how tos on youtube for this but your problem is the obstructed screws

·
Registered
173 Posts
If you are not detecting a slight "click" sensation when you push it into the overhead console then it would seem that the locking mechanism has seized.

My sunglasses have actually become somewhat jammed in the holder a few times, making it difficult to open. A series of repetitive fast pushes got it to disengage and I had to gently force it open so I am very careful about how I position my sunglasses in there now. The compartment itself is quite small compared to other vehicles I have had/driven.

If it happens to still be under warranty, then take it in. If not, and if my method above does nothing, then perhaps gently prying it open with a small flathead screwdriver could get it open?

·
Registered
29 Posts
The fact that there is TWICE the recommended capacity, my immediate reaction is that at least ONE one of the glasses collapsed enough in your effort to close the tray. Once the collapsed pair "cleared" an internal obstruction, it "sprung" back into a more normal state, thus jamming the tray.

My thought is to get a flashlight and/or possibly your cell phone camera, assuming you have one, to zoom in on the area and see if you can determine WHAT is jamming-up on WHAT. Then, you can get a small screwdriver to use as a prybar in an attempt to flex, or re-compress the jammed portion until it again clears the obstacle.

Capiche?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts