·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Attachments

·
Registered
374 Posts
I ordered a horn upgrade on Saturday after a bus came in my lane to pass cyclists riding 3 abreast. The OEM horn was useless and I had to go on the shoulder to avoid a head on collision. The price is a bit steep but from what I have read you need a small horn for the space provided. The horn upgrade on May 2015 Accord was half the price from College Hills but it sure gets other drivers attention.

I

·
Registered
865 Posts
I ordered a horn upgrade on Saturday after a bus came in my lane to pass cyclists riding 3 abreast. The OEM horn was useless and I had to go on the shoulder to avoid a head on collision. The price is a bit steep but from what I have read you need a small horn for the space provided. The horn upgrade on May 2015 Accord was half the price from College Hills but it sure gets other drivers attention.

I
For what it's worth, about a week before CH came out with their adaptors I upgraded my horn for about $30. I do like that my install doesn't require stealing mounting holes... So it's more OEM. Scroll down and look for my posts with photos.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=168914&share_fid=90805&share_type=t

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
374 Posts

I
For what it's worth, about a week before CH came out with their adaptors I upgraded my horn for about $30. I do like that my install doesn't require stealing mounting holes... So it's more OEM. Scroll down and look for my posts with photos.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=168914&share_fid=90805&share_type=t

Thanks for the link. I went with the College Hills setup so I wouldn't have to splice any wires. The Collage Hills setup for the Accord was only $35. The PIAA horns are a little more than $50 on Amazon.

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
999 Posts
Haven't pulled off the plastic cowl to look but where are the factory horns located? Is it basically a swap out or am I gonna be mounting these in a different spot?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I have stebels in my 17
Super loud , saved me from an out of control crv shooting across three lanes n almost smashing into me lol
Caught it on dash can

·
Registered
865 Posts
Haven't pulled off the plastic cowl to look but where are the factory horns located? Is it basically a swap out or am I gonna be mounting these in a different spot?
I mounted them in same spot, see my post above. It took a bit of trial and error to get them to fit, I'm convinced there's exactly one orientation of brackets and horns that will work.

Even if you choose to go a different route I documented with photos before and after. Cowl is super easy to remove, so it's not exactly a risk to take it off and peek.

The horns I ordered are different than the ones that are part of the CH kit. They suggest you coopt cowl clip holes for horizontal mounting. This is a much easier approach.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Just replaced my horns with the CH horn kit today. Comes with PIAA horns, 2 wire adapters so just plug and play and 2 sets of black nuts and bolts. You take the top cover off by removing the push pins. You mount the horns in 2 of the spots where the push pins were with supplied nuts and bolts. The set for. CH comes with adapters so you don't have to splice any connections. The horn on the left has very little ply so it's harder to disconnect the horn and also position the bolt for the install..

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 CR-V EX-L w/ NAV
999 Posts
Finally got around to installing my "real" horns today. Thanks for the info on the College Park set. Very easy to install, even w/o official instructions applicable to the CR-V. Sound is awesome compared to before. There are louder horns out there but these will get you noticed w/o being obnoxious. The only hard part of the install is the left side trying to get the nut started on the bottom of the bolt. Glad I have small hands, you'll need them or someone to help that has them. Highly recommend this upgrade.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the horn upgrade kit from College Hills Honda. What to do about the two grounding cables ?

College Hills Honda installation guide has the bolt through plastic material. OEM installation has the bolt direct to metal part.

·
Registered
2020 CRV EX FWD
21 Posts
I just received and installed the horn upgrade kit from College Hills Honda. Just under $80 with shipping. Installed in about 35 minutes (went slow). Definite improvement from the "meep meep"!

Horn Upgrade Kit

PS....my daughter did the video on Instagram or something for me...goofy red car, but you get the gist with the sounds :)

I ordered the same horn upgrade kit from College Hills Honda. Now I have a real horn on my 2020 CRV EX! The wiring and bolt/nut angle was such that it was cramped using the 12 mm box end wrench and 14mm socket to attach the new horns. Cramped but possible. The electrical adapters in the kit make it simple to finish the connections to the horn harness. I used this tool to easily pop the 8 plastic connectors on the cover.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,616 Posts
Need to do this upgrade myself - any good suggestions for horns folks??

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
123 Posts
This has been discussed a lot here in a number of threads. Search around to learn more.
One issue is that you have to hack the connection as the Honda horns have a special connector, and most after market horns will have spade lugs. College Hills originally came out with adapter leads and connectors, then they expanded to selling a complete kit.
Check their website Horn Upgrade Kit which shows the horns they supply (small for the tight space) as well as how they went about fitting them in.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
7,616 Posts
Fired an email.....will let you know their response when/if it arrives!

Reactions: CRV4575
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.