Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had any trouble with the power liftgate (a nice feature) opening and closing with the FOB button all this time. The other day my daughter lifted the door by force and since then the FOB does not open/close the trunk door. I can hear it click and lights flash and it beeps with the FOB and then nothing. I have to open it manually. I haven't found a solution to it yet (after lots of google searches). I don't think anything is broken. Did the mechanism revert to a manual mode? Any ideas to try or has anyone had any experience with this type of problem? Thanks!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had a similar experience. Open it fully then disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few mins. After connecting the battery close it all the way down manually then try the fob. Let me know if it fixes your issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the power liftgate (a nice feature) opening and closing with the FOB button all this time. The other day my daughter lifted the door by force ...... I don't think anything is broken.
There is no manual mode. If your daughter lifted it by force, how do you know nothing is broken??? Why did she need to open it "with force" anyway??🤦‍♂️

That it isnt working is proof that something is awry/busted - quite possibly the sensors. Better go to the dealership and take a big wad of cash....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had a similar experience. Open it fully then disconnect the negative battery terminal for a few mins. After connecting the battery close it all the way down manually then try the fob. Let me know if it fixes your issue.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Tried the suggested fix. Fully opened the tailgate, Unhooked the -ve of battery, then waited 5 min. Hooked back the battery and then closed the hatch manually and then tried the FOB. Same as before- clicks open, makes beeps and then doesn’t open.🥵

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
So in my video I did exactly that forced it up. I am sure we can figure it out. I'll return soon.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
There is no manual mode. If your daughter lifted it by force, how do you know nothing is broken??? Why did she need to open it "with force" anyway??🤦‍♂️

That it isnt work is proof that something is awry/busted - quite possibly the sensors. Better go to the dealership and take a bid wad of cash....
You can in fact manually open and close the power lift gate on gen5s.

It won't harm anything, as long as you DO NOT try to do so while the automatic function is working (that would likely break something).

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
I haven't had any trouble with the power liftgate (a nice feature) opening and closing with the FOB button all this time. The other day my daughter lifted the door by force and since then the FOB does not open/close the trunk door. I can hear it click and lights flash and it beeps with the FOB and then nothing. I have to open it manually. I haven't found a solution to it yet (after lots of google searches). I don't think anything is broken. Did the mechanism revert to a manual mode? Any ideas to try or has anyone had any experience with this type of problem? Thanks!

If you have not already tried... I would manually fully open it and then fully close it again. Then try the power lift gate feature again.

I've done manual open and close a few times early when I had my CRV and it worked fine and returned to normal power lift function as well. But I made sure to do a full manual open and close cycle.

Failing that, there is probably a sensor that is confused and needs a reset, per the video shared above.

IF.. IF your daughter manually opened or closed the gate while it was trying to open or close automatically.. it is possible that something failed as a result. Honda does warn that this may damage the power liftgate. But it is possible that what your daughter did manually confused the gate sensors that tell it where the gate is relative to the open and close marks, which should be corrected with the reset procedure.

That said.. Honda does appear too have made a fairly resilient design, which even has thermal sensors in the motor to stop you from opening and closing too many times in short progression. I actually tripped the thermal sensor embedded in the motor one time as I was opening and closing repeatedly while adjusting opening distance to calibrate it for my garage door opening. If I recall correctly after the 6th or 7th time it stopped responding. I thought I broke it, but when I tried again 10 minutes later.. it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
this falls down to a User issue, if you are uncertain of how to fix yourself then by all means bring to a technician and have fun.

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
5,200 Posts
Will it close from a fully open position using the button on the tailgate itself?

Also, try opening it fully, then pushing and holding the button on the tailgate until it beeps once. You (or daughter) may have just messed up the "top stop" position.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
I have a sneaky suspicion based on what the OP mentioned at the start, that the forced opening of the tailgate has probably done something to the sensors.

Just find it odd that someone would knowingly force open a tailgate when you know its electrically operated.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
never know when a loose wire is about. or should I have said a loose screw.

·
Registered
37 Posts
The honda dealer will have to re-program the gate. The day I bought the car new a young salesman opened the gate and it would not close. Service manager took it in and reprogramed it.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Yep, reprogramming makes sense.

And avoid any future forced openings too!

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
good to hear, endjoy the rest'

·
Registered
21 Posts
That said.. Honda does appear too have made a fairly resilient design, which even has thermal sensors in the motor to stop you from opening and closing too many times in short progression. I actually tripped the thermal sensor embedded in the motor one time as I was opening and closing repeatedly while adjusting opening distance to calibrate it for my garage door opening. If I recall correctly after the 6th or 7th time it stopped responding. I thought I broke it, but when I tried again 10 minutes later.. it worked fine.
Ok, for the setting of the desired height of the tail gait, you can just let it open normally. Then adjust the height manually adjust to the desired height. Next push the desired height button and hold until 2 beeps. Saves the motor :love:

·
Registered
57 Posts

That it isnt work is proof that something is awry/busted - quite possibly the sensors. Better go to the dealership and take a bid wad of cash....
Just a question ...are the lifters electrically operated or Hydraulic or a combination of both?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,149 Posts
Just a question ...are the lifters electrically operated or Hydraulic or a combination of both?
Electric motor with hydraulic/gas struts on either side of the tailgate.

(y)

Reactions: alfhoc
1 - 20 of 22 Posts