Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed it the 1st test drive before I bought the CR-V. I thought it was me. It slightly pulls to the right. Owned it for about 3 and a half weeks. My wife primary drives it. She really hasn't noticed it herself.

This past weekend I took a road trip from Chicago to Cincinnati and back. It definitely wasn't me. I brought it in to my dealership service department and they were great. Still haven't solved the issue but we are alot closer.

I wanted them to do an alignment, but the specifications for the 2017 model aren't in their alignment machine yet. Hopefully will have them early next week.

In the meantime, a tech took it on a test drive and didn't find anything. I drove it with him and it did pull to the right. He acknowledged it, went back and swapped the front tires around. Went on another test drive and slightly pulled to the left.

Anywho, I'll hopefully get an alignment next week and get the steering wheel straighten out. It was slightly cocked to the right also and the tech noticed that too.

I'm not going to sweat this, but it is frustrating with a new vehicle.

·
Everything in Moderation
7,625 Posts
...swapped the front tires around. Went on another test drive and slightly pulled to the left.

You have a bad tire. :( I would ask the dealer to replace it (not just swap it side to side or front to back). After that, if the steering wheel isn't straight, get the alignment done (it may have been set up to the bad tire.)

Which tire brand came on your car?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've read it's not uncommon for a new vehicle to be out of alignment, things can happen during transport from the factory to the dealership.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If the direction the car pulls changes when you reverse left and right front wheel/tire, it is NOT an alignment issue causing it. If a car pulls in one direction (when not braking) due to alignment, it's due to a combination of camber, caster and toe-in. Swapping wheels does absolutely nothing whatsoever to affect any part of alignment - period - end of story. If in fact you drove the exact same roads and felt the "pull" switch from one side to the other after only swapping wheels, it has to be the front wheels. You may also need an alignment but that's a different story.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
What kind of tech doesn't realize that if a problem moves when a tire does, the car needs a new tire? This isn't even Auto Tech 101; it's Intro To Common Sense.

Because of the issue you also had where the tech simply denied the problem existed until going on a drive with you (trying to weasel out of warranty work, which doesn't pay well), I'd get the name of the tech that looked at it, and let the service advisor he/she is to never touch your car again.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
...swapped the front tires around. Went on another test drive and slightly pulled to the left.

You have a bad tire.
I would ask the dealer to replace it (not just swap it side to side or front to back). After that, if the steering wheel isn't straight, get the alignment done (it may have been set up to the bad tire.)

Which tire brand came on your car?
It was the Bridgestone ecopias.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I took the CR-V to the service department today and they had it for about 4 1/2 hours. The story is their alignment machine still hasn't been loaded with the new 2017 specifications yet. The manufacturer of the machine still has to do it, who knows when.

So, a tech took the 2016 specifications with the machine and used the 2017 specifications from Honda to "manually" align the car. Old school so to speak. Anyway, it was confirmed out of alignment. That was the problem.

The tech seemed to have fixed it. I took it on a 30 minute drive and it seems good. I did talk to the service advisor and told him when the new specs are in the machine, I would like to check the alignment again against what the tech did manually. He said no problem. Don't know when that will be, but hopefully soon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I took the CR-V to the service department today and they had it for about 4 1/2 hours. The story is their alignment machine still hasn't been loaded with the new 2017 specifications yet. The manufacturer of the machine still has to do it, who knows when.

So, a tech took the 2016 specifications with the machine and used the 2017 specifications from Honda to "manually" align the car. Old school so to speak. Anyway, it was confirmed out of alignment. That was the problem.

The tech seemed to have fixed it. I took it on a 30 minute drive and it seems good. I did talk to the service advisor and told him when the new specs are in the machine, I would like to check the alignment again against what the tech did manually. He said no problem. Don't know when that will be, but hopefully soon.
Something is wrong with the story here.

Let me be totally and completely clear. IF the vehicle pulled to the right and then after swapping front tires (left to right, right to left) it pulled to the left, it is ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE UNDER ANY POSSIBLE SCENARIO that it is alignment. Period. End of story. Done. Front end alignment changes three variables on each side. Camber, Caster, and Toe-In. Period. Effectively it changes the alignment of the wheel hub/spindle in relation to the thrust plane of the vehicle, and each other. Whether a wheel is a lug centric or hub centric wheel, it doesn't matter - the wheel and tire is simply an extension of that hub/spindle. It cannot change.

So, there are only two possibilities here.

1) The vehicle never really changed the direction it pulled after the front wheels were swapped.

or

2) The alignment did not fix the problem. It could have been as simple as low air pressure in the tire on the wheel that the car was pulling toward. A broken belt. But it absolutely could not have been that simply alignment corrected an issue where it pulled in one direction and then after swapping wheels, it pulled in the other direction. This again, assumes you're "testing" on the same or similar roads, and you're not mistaking a crowned road making it feel like pulling.

Any other answer is incomplete and/or inaccurate. I'm not trying to accuse anybody - especially the OP - of anything. But it is purely and totally impossible that an alignment could have corrected the situation that was described. It's like saying that eating a ham sandwich allowed you to gain 100hp in your car. There is simply no logic to support it.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I understand what you guys are saying about the front tire. I'm just telling you guys what I've been told and what I see now. There is nothing incomplete about the story on my end. The car is driving and acting fine at the moment. I'm going to see how the CR-V drives this week and go from there. I hope that this problem has been fixed, but I'm being cautiously optimistic.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Hopefully it drives well for you. However if it was behaving like you said before, and is now corrected, your service folks aren't telling you everything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hopefully it drives well for you. However if it was behaving like you said before, and is now corrected, your service folks aren't telling you everything.
That may be very true. Trust me, I'm going to watch this like a hawk. I used to have a Dodge Durango and it was an alignment issue out of the box brand new too. That dealership wasn't able to find that issue and it drove me nuts. They didn't seem too concerned and said it was "normal". The Honda dealership seemed committed to finding and fixing the problem. I hope history don't repeat itself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
4.5 hours is a LONG time to do an alignment. I agree with wmhjr, it doesn't sound like the alignment was your issue. Regardless, I'm glad your CR-V is tracking straight now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I still think it is a defective tire due to the change of the direction of pull when the tires were swapped.
I agree as a retired 40+ year Honda tech. Even with equal pressures tires can vary in rolling resistance. Also, toe being off by itself doesn't cause pulling, if it uneven it just equalizes itself between the tires and makes the steering wheel off center. If it is off equally on both sides it wouldn't pull either, just increase tire wear. Camber differences between sides can cause drift but is seems most often to come down to tires. BTW, I have always been partial to Michelins and I was surprised when my Touring didn't come with them as the top models alway used to.

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same exact problem. When you hold the wheel exactly straight, it starts veering to the right. Before picking up the car, I had the dealership inspect the alignment as I had felt it on the test drive. They came back and showed me that they adjusted the tire pressure. It alleviated the pull very minimally, I will take it back. I had a feeling it could be a bad tire.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have noticed my CRV can pull to the right when I have the air conditioner on max, seems bizarre? can it be screwing with the electric steering?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts