Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I asked the dealer for a recommended maintenance schedule but didn't have one:(

Where can I find a document of the 2017 CR-V maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Your owners's guide has a section on maintenance. The short answer is: Your car will tell you what it needs and when. When the car is due for maintenance, it will display a letter code, maybe followed by a number. You look up the codes in the owner's guide and it'll tell you what is necessary. There are a couple exceptions to this system, which are also in the owners guide.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm curious if the car takes into account pure time. For example, people always say to change your oil at 6 months or at X thousand miles, whichever comes first. Will the CR-V's logic take this into consideration? Or is it purely on usage? Or maybe there is a mechanism that can actually measure the oil breakdown?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your owners's guide has a section on maintenance. The short answer is: Your car will tell you what it needs and when. When the car is due for maintenance, it will display a letter code, maybe followed by a number. You look up the codes in the owner's guide and it'll tell you what is necessary. There are a couple exceptions to this system, which are also in the owners guide.
Thank you for telling me what the dealer couldn't :)
This is the a new car after 12 years for me. A lot of things have changed!

I started reading the manual but didn't get to the maintenance section, yet. I expected a booklet with a schedule but I guess paper manuals are going the way of the dodo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the owner's manual. I expected a separate maintenance manual to document each service and also a checklist for each interval.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree, I expected to see a recommended service schedule and not rely on the car's maintenance light to figure out what type of service is due when. Is there a pdf somewhere with the anticipated schedule spelled out? Much appreciated, thanks!

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I agree, I expected to see a recommended service schedule and not rely on the car's maintenance light to figure out what type of service is due when. Is there a pdf somewhere with the anticipated schedule spelled out? Much appreciated, thanks!
The computer decides the schedule based on the vehicle use in addition to the mileage. There is no set schedule and it varies with every car, depending on the circumstances. Just follow the car's computer and don't worry about it.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you don't want to rely on the car system, you can then create your own spreadsheet of maintenance schedule and fill in such change oil every 1000 miles and/or rotate all tires every 500 miles.

·
Super Moderator
3,194 Posts
Honda has been using the MM system for at least 11 years.
Seems to work fine. We're just not used to having a car tell us when it needs servicing.
It's certainly adapts itself well to highway or town usage far better than a fixed schedule.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
The MM Is a great guide as it does factor in how the car is driven. My 2012 CR-V had a book where I could see the schedule and them make notes and sign off on it when I completed the work. My 2017 CR_V and our 2015 Fit EX-L don't have these any more.

That said I still put a note in the back of my owner's manual whenever I do service. It reminds me and will show the next owner how the car was taken car of.

If you want a written record (which is a good idea) just go to Amazon and search for "car maintenance log book". They have a bunch of them listed, find one that suits your style.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
The MM Is a great guide as it does factor in how the car is driven. My 2012 CR-V had a book where I could see the schedule and them make notes and sign off on it when I completed the work. My 2017 CR_V and our 2015 Fit EX-L don't have these any more.

That said I still put a note in the back of my owner's manual whenever I do service. It reminds me and will show the next owner how the car was taken car of.

If you want a written record (which is a good idea) just go to Amazon and search for "car maintenance log book". They have a bunch of them listed, find one that suits your style.
Why go to that expense and trouble for something Honda provides for free? One of the first things I did when I got my 2016 EX-L was to sign up on the Honda Owners Website (http://owners.honda.com/). In addition to what the dealer does to your car, you can input the maintenance you or others do to your car that shows what was done, the date it was done, the cost and who did it. It has worked well for me.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The MM is very helpful. But there are owners out there with some skepticism about how much oils AND engines have improved.
They tend to stick to 3000 mile unnecessary changes. Outside of the added costs in buying oil and filters more often, and labor if you don't do it yourself, it certainly does no harm. Except put more wear on the drain plug threads (not sure if that is still a Honda issue) and there's the 'thing' about the less you service unnecessarily, the fewer chances of something going wrong when working on it. (Greater risk if Jiffy is changing it.)

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have a separate MM question... I chose to get my first oil change at 40%/5000 miles. MM code was A 1, - 1 being tire rotation. The service rep was surprised and told me to skip the rotation until 10k miles.

I chose to do it anyway. I'm heavy hwy driving (62m/day) and figure the MM is picking up on something? Thoughts?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks. I just purchased the new CR-V and haven't even taken delivery yet but have downloaded the manual and noticed the computer aided design but thought they must have schedule. My former vehicle was a 1999 Honda Accord. This will be quite the adjustment. The fact that you say it's been in use for 11 years comes as a reassurement. How often, on average, are these oil changes needed? Thanks.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts