Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2017 CR-V Touring AWD yesterday and traded in my CR-V 2012 EX-L. I amd not knowledgable enough about cars, so trying to find opinions from experts here. I switched from CR-V 2012 EX-L AWD to CR-V 2017 Touring AWD and it feels to me that 2017 Engine does not seem as powerful as CR-V 2012. I do not know how exactly to descibe the issue, it just feels like that. May be it is because 2017 CR-V is new and new engines feel like that initially?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Try turning ECON mode OFF. ECON mode dulls the throttle response and maybe it has a more aggressive profile on the 2017 making it feel more sluggish. Probably just take a little getting used to or driving with ECON off all the time. It probably won't save an appreciable amount of fuel anyway.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Try turning ECON mode OFF. ECON mode dulls the throttle response and maybe it has a more aggressive profile on the 2017 making it feel more sluggish. Probably just take a little getting used to or driving with ECON off all the time. It probably won't save an appreciable amount of fuel anyway.
Thanks, excellent point and now I remember I had the same feeling with econ on for 2012 CR-V but I do not think that I turned econ on for 2017 CR-V but I will check this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm baffled as to why Honda did not utilize a 1.8 or 2.0 Liter turbo engine for the new CR-V - isn't the CR-V at least 400lbs more than the Civic (which uses the same engine, albeit with some minor changes)

·
Registered
262 Posts
Also, don't forget about "turbo lag" which can make the vehicle a bit sluggish for a second or so after you stab the accelerator. It takes time for the little impeller in the turbocharger to spin up to 100,000 RPM to provide enough boost to make the tiny little engine produce significant power. :) A naturally-aspirated engine like the 2.4 produces power the instant the throttle blade opens.

Why no 1.8L or 2.0L turbocharged engine in the CR-V? Either engine would begin to step on the toes of the 3.5L V6 in the RDX. Honda won't let the CR-V come that close to the RDX. The new CR-V now has a level of technology and style that gives the RDX a run for its money. The Acura still has V6 smoothness and power, brand panache, is quieter, smoother, has a softer suspension, and an audio system considerably better than the CR-V's.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Got 2017 CR-V Touring AWD yesterday and traded in my CR-V 2012 EX-L. I amd not knowledgable enough about cars, so trying to find opinions from experts here. I switched from CR-V 2012 EX-L AWD to CR-V 2017 Touring AWD and it feels to me that 2017 Engine does not seem as powerful as CR-V 2012. I do not know how exactly to descibe the issue, it just feels like that. May be it is because 2017 CR-V is new and new engines feel like that initially?
CVT, turbo lag and Honda pet peeve to achieve great MPG compared to your 12 EX-L

·
Registered
25 Posts
Let's look at real, objective information:
https://www.0-60specs.com/honda-cr-v-0-60-times/
2012 Honda CR-V 0-60 MPH - EX-L AWD 5A 8.5 sec 16.6 sec @ 85 mph 1/4 mile Tested by Car and Driver
2017 Honda CR-V 0-60 MPH - Touring AWD CVT 7.5 sec 15.8 sec @ 89 mph 1/4 mile Tested by Motor Trend

So the new turbocharged engine is 1 second faster than the previous model. What you may perceive as slow is the *feel* of the CVT which the 2017 CRV has. The feel of having real gears (2012 CRV) makes the car feel faster when it's not.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I first thought it felt more sluggish too, but I think it is just the feel of the CVT. When I looked at the speedometer I was indeed going faster that I thought - missing the feeling of the gears is different, but I'm getting used to it. (I had a 2013 before my 2017).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Do you guys think that if the 2017 Honda CR-V with Turbo is under powered, does it justify buying a Honda Pilot since it comes with a V6 engine? My only concern is that the Pilot is larger, making it harder to park in city streets. The V6 will also use more gas, but that's a given since you have more power.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the civic is a vehicle that for sure has a following to be tuned by the kids. with the same 1.5L turbo, maybe they have performance mods already lined up that should be adaptable to the CRV if you want to void your warranty.

I know I'll be looking to up the power down the line with modifications myself

·
Registered
262 Posts
the civic is a vehicle that for sure has a following to be tuned by the kids. with the same 1.5L turbo, maybe they have performance mods already lined up that should be adaptable to the CRV if you want to void your warranty.

I know I'll be looking to up the power down the line with modifications myself
Unless the CVT is replaced by something that can handle the extra torque, a voided warranty will be the least of the concerns.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm in the market for a 2017 EX CR-V. I have a 2012 CR-V EX-L and am considering trading it in. Would you be willing to share how much the dealer gave you in trade and how many miles were on your vehicle? Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got $13k for my 2013 EX-L Navi that had 75,000 mi on it, which was about $300 under "good" KBB condition price. I took it since I had two un-buffable scratches, was almost time for tires/brakes, had a random problem with my heater (fan wouldn't work randomly without opening up dash and manually starting it), and it was in service when I made the trade for a transmission whine. Now they sold it the very next day - found it on their site listed at $17,999 and a few hours later it came up SOLD. (Makes me wonder if I really did get a good deal or not!)

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm in the market for a 2017 EX CR-V. I have a 2012 CR-V EX-L and am considering trading it in. Would you be willing to share how much the dealer gave you in trade and how many miles were on your vehicle? Thanks.
Although every case of trade in is different, my kbb avg value was around 17k (2012 EX-L AWD with Navigation, around 37,000 miles), I went to 3 dealers in my area and the best I could get was 16k. I went with 16k but it again was part of overall deal in getting CR-V 2017 Touring AWD. I got that around 1000 off msrp. May be I could have got more for my trade in but I wanted to get CR-2017 sooner than waiting for better deal.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I got $13k for my 2013 EX-L Navi that had 75,000 mi on it, which was about $300 under "good" KBB condition price. I took it since I had two un-buffable scratches, was almost time for tires/brakes, had a random problem with my heater (fan wouldn't work randomly without opening up dash and manually starting it), and it was in service when I made the trade for a transmission whine. Now they sold it the very next day - found it on their site listed at $17,999 and a few hours later it came up SOLD. (Makes me wonder if I really did get a good deal or not!)
i guess thats the trade off with just trading it with the vehicle. many people just dont want to go through the time/energy and hassle to sell it as a private party. i now im in the same boat with my current old vehicle. ive already accepted that i wnt really care how much less the dealer will give me on a trade just for them to take it for any money at all so id ont have to deal with getting rid of it myself.

·
Registered
262 Posts
i guess thats the trade off with just trading it with the vehicle. many people just dont want to go through the time/energy and hassle to sell it as a private party. i now im in the same boat with my current old vehicle. ive already accepted that i wnt really care how much less the dealer will give me on a trade just for them to take it for any money at all so id ont have to deal with getting rid of it myself.
In some states like Texas, you pay tax only on the difference between the trade and purchase, so it's often equal or better to trade than to sell private party.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for all the input on your trades. It's tough to compare apples to apples, but it does give me a general idea of what I'm going to be in for at the dealerships. In my area the inventory is so bad it's not worth starting any discussions on buying/trading. Congrats on the purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts