Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Im looking to get new wheels and re use my winter tires i currently have.

The winter tires are 235/65/18 just as the stock CR-V 18" wheel. So...

Since the stock wheels are 18x7.5 +45 i was wondering if i could get 18x8 +45 wheels with the stock tire size. Will the wider wheels rub the suspension? or should i still have clearance? it'll be 6.3mm closer to the suspension and 6.3mm further out. I'm more so concerned about it being too close to the suspension.

Thanks,

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you check the tire manufacturer's website, they usually specify acceptable wheel widths for each of their tires (by model and size), but I can't imagine you would have any trouble going to an 8" width.

As for rubbing... Rubbing is something the tire does, not the wheel (unless one does something completely ridiculous), because rubbing contact occurs at the outside perimeter of the tire as either the front or back pulls into the wheel well when steering. In your case, the extra 05" of wheel will not allow the tire to widen enough to make any noticeable difference. All manufacturers allow for enough clearance to turn the wheel completely to the side and still have a couple inches all the way around. There's quite a bit of unused space under there.

I've done way too much research in this area... The stock tires/wheels on my old civic were 175-70-13 on 13x5.5; it now wears 245-35-17s on 17x9 wheels. I don't remember the offset but they have a 3" lip... Same overall diameter (basically), clearance is not visible to the naked eye, but it doesn't rub.

·
Registered
2014 CRV EX-L
137 Posts
Hi there,

Im looking to get new wheels and re use my winter tires i currently have.

The winter tires are 235/65/18 just as the stock CR-V 18" wheel. So...

Since the stock wheels are 18x7.5 +45 i was wondering if i could get 18x8 +45 wheels with the stock tire size. Will the wider wheels rub the suspension? or should i still have clearance? it'll be 6.3mm closer to the suspension and 6.3mm further out. I'm more so concerned about it being too close to the suspension.

Thanks,
The easiest way to be sure, other than actually mounting a tire / new wheel on car, reach around the top of the front tire, find the space between the wheel and the brake parts, how much room is there? I put aftermarket wheels on my 2014 and had your same concerns. But sure enough, there's more room there than one might think.

In my case, the oem are 6.5" width 17 225. I went to 8" width 19 225. Same offset. They are fine.

In your case, same tires and only 0.5" wider wheels (and same offset! important), as PURP says, almost assuredly it will be fine.

Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have much to add except that I'm looking at a set of 18x8 +45 wheels as well. Would love to know for sure that they'll fit without any issues.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts