Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1999 Honda CR-V EX AWD 5 Speed M/T
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

My wife's newish car just stalled out immediately after she started it and left the driveway. We pushed it back in and I checked the fuses and for some reason it blew the fuel pump fuse under the dash. I changed the fuse and once again it started and ran for about 10 minutes and stalled after blowing the fuse. I know the 2018 models have a recall on the fuel pumps and we have an extended warranty for this car. But the dealership insists that I need to get american Honda motor co to pay to have this ugly blob of a car towed to them. But Honda says the dealership is going to have to foot the bill for towing. My truck is in for maintenance for a few days so the only working car we have besides my 69 Charger is a 99 crv that's having issues too. I'm getting my new truck back in a day or two but it just isn't convenient to drive a Dodge 3500 around everywhere. Since daily driving a classic 52 year old muscle car around on a daily basis is expensive (Gotta love the 426 hemi) thanks to it getting 10mpg. Who do I go to now? Because there is no way I'm paying the bill for towing a car 188 miles to the nearest dealership that can "Handle this issue" as Honda puts it. I could just tow the car there myself when I get my truck (I live on a large farm so we have several semi trucks and trailers that would be more that enough to tow this. But then I've gotta pay for fuel and I put wear on my equipment and Honda definitely won't pay for that. They've really got me in between a rock and a hard place this time.

Thanks for reading, I'll keep you updated

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
If your warranty requires you to get work done at a dealership (warranties exist that don't have that requirement) I'm not quite sure what else you were expecting. (If you were still under the factory warranty, you could have gotten the work done closer.)

·
Registered
2007 CRV
733 Posts
188 miles is a long way to go to get service under the warranty.
This happens sometimes where the warranty is a good idea
But, (hindsight) should have read the contract and applied what might happen if such a case occurs
Sorry, for your troubles. Hope it gets settled.

·
Floatin' Pizza Slices
4,723 Posts
If you have warranty, why not go to a dealer which is closer? :confused:

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Perhaps in the meantime, you could install a re-settable fuse. Ask at an auto parts store.

Perhaps that would get the car to the dealer.(10 minutes at a time):rolleyes:

Is the fuel pump connector access under the cargo area as in earlier cars? Might be worth looking...(but then, the dealer tech will say 'somebody's been messing with this!" ):mad:

Reactions: SnakeCharmer

·
Registered
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
4,905 Posts
..... But the dealership insists that I need to get american Honda motor co to pay to have this ugly blob of a car towed to them. But Honda says the dealership is going to have to foot the bill for towing. ..... Who do I go to now? Because there is no way I'm paying the bill for towing a car 188 miles to the nearest dealership that can "Handle this issue" as Honda puts it.
You were not specific about what extended warranty you purchased. Was it HondaCare or some other 3rd party warranty.

Regardless of your answer.... go read your extended warranty terms and conditions.. as they will stipulate how a vehicle is towed to a Honda dealer for service, and who pays.

HondaCare does come with Roadside Assistance and Towing to the nearest Honda dealership... so if you purchased HondaCare, then use their emergency towing service that is included as that removes both the dealer and Honda Corporate from the discussion and finger pointing.

Now.. if you bought some other 3rd party extended warranty plan.... again.. read your terms and conditions for towing.

I get it.... 188 miles is a long tow and is going to cost someone a lot of money. But an extended warranty should stipulate the terms and conditions for roadside assistance and towing to a dealer for service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
What kind of an extended warranty do you have? It sounds like a scam.
It was the one honda sold me when I bought the car. The documents even say honda motor co on them. I think it was called honda care if I'm not wrong.

If you have warranty, why not go to a dealer which is closer? :confused:
The closer dealer apparently is only set up to change tires and I live in the middle of nowhere so the second closest dealership is over 100 miles away. The one that I bought the car from is 30 miles away.

You were not specific about what extended warranty you purchased. Was it HondaCare or some other 3rd party warranty.

Regardless of your answer.... go read your extended warranty terms and conditions.. as they will stipulate how a vehicle is towed to a Honda dealer for service, and who pays.

HondaCare does come with Roadside Assistance and Towing to the nearest Honda dealership... so if you purchased HondaCare, then use their emergency towing service that is included as that removes both the dealer and Honda Corporate from the discussion and finger pointing.

Now.. if you bought some other 3rd party extended warranty plan.... again.. read your terms and conditions for towing.

I get it.... 188 miles is a long tow and is going to cost someone a lot of money. But an extended warranty should stipulate the terms and conditions for roadside assistance and towing to a dealer for service.
I just checked the papers and I did buy the Honda care. Not some third party scam.

Perhaps in the meantime, you could install a re-settable fuse. Ask at an auto parts store.

Perhaps that would get the car to the dealer.(10 minutes at a time):rolleyes:

Is the fuel pump connector access under the cargo area as in earlier cars? Might be worth looking...(but then, the dealer tech will say 'somebody's been messing with this!" ):mad:
I don't think it is, and I don't want to mess with it and give honda a reason to deny my warranty. I was thinking about the resettable fuse but if the computer got fried for some reason then that's my fault. I'm going to call American Honda right away.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
The resettable fuse still provides the required protection. The difference is, you can just push a button to reset it rather than fumble with additional fuses.

I've found them invaluable when trying to find intermittent shorts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The resettable fuse still provides the required protection. The difference is, you can just push a button to reset it rather than fumble with additional fuses.

I've found them invaluable when trying to find intermittent shorts.
Well, I was thinking of using a paperclip but I won't even have to think about it anymore because honda is going to be taking care of this. Next time I have an intermittent short on something that isn't under warranty then I'll give the resettable fuse a try.

·
Registered
2007 CRV
733 Posts
Please, never use a paperclip as a fuse.
Fuses are there to protect the wiring.
Putting a paperclip defeats this purpose.
And could have disastrous outcome, for example: fire in the engine bay.

If the fuse is blowing then there probably is an issue with the fuel pump
To keep running the fuel pump by resetting the fuse quickly
It can force the fuel pump to finally give up and fail totally
Or it can cause other issues (unknown).

Safety first.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Strange fuse blowing if continuous suggests a number of causes. In this case it could suggest everything from rodent damaged wiring to a fuel pump drawing too much current.....Lets get it to a shop and stop speculating. It needs to be fixed properly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts