Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2017 CRV EXL-Nav it is 2 months old with 800 miles on it. Twice the battery went totally dead while sitting in my garage. First at about 500 miles and again at 800 miles. I put it on a charger and drove it to the dealer and both times they could find no problem. The car was in the garage and doors locked there were no lights or anything else left on. As it is a double garage and I go in it at least twice daily. Note the first time the car sat for five days without being run, the second time three days. The service department said to run it daily. I do not consider this a very good solution. What if I go on a trip and park it for a week. I have no confidence it will start when I come back. Has anyone experienced this problem or have any suggestions.

Thanks for your help,

·
Registered
579 Posts
There have been several posts about battery problems on 2017's. Starting it every day is nuts. Horrible advice. My vehicles routinely sit for two weeks or more without running them. Never ever had problems. Summer or winter.

Keep pushing your dealer on this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had this exact problem. It seems like Honda is now acknowledging a parasitic draw to their service reps. This is the statement they printed out for me. I just received it today so I haven't tested it to see if the battery will still die after 4-5 days of not driving. It's worth a try if you're still having battery issues.

"From our investigation, we've found that a software bug in the VSA system may be keeping it awake when the ignition is turned to OFF. This can cause a 350 mA parasitic draw that may result in a weak or dead battery. We've also found that this issue appears to happen only when a certain shut down procedure is done, and it's rare when it does. We're working on a fix for the issue, but until it's available, this parasitic draw can be avoided by setting the electric parking brake before turning the ignition to OFF."

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a 2017 EX-L 2WD NAV with 800 miles. My wife drove it 2 miles and parked for 2 hours and when returned battery was dead. AAA came out and said battery was 9.1V and only had 47 CCA and needed to be replaced. They jumped it and I took to dealer without shutting it down. At dealer battery checked ok. My wife is new to the car, only the third time driving it and AAA is in the business of selling batteries so I do not know what happened. AAA parasitic test was .26 amps which thay said was ok and sounds high to me. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

·
Registered
32 Posts
2017 EX, incline driveway, we engage parking brake before turning car off, battery still drains in a couple days to the point where car won't start, Honda blaming it on sequence is BS, anytime you engage parking brake it draws on battery, complete BS for a new car, not happy, Honda offers no insight to a solution, as far I'm concerned, car is currently a lemon

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I have a 2017 EX-L 2WD NAV with 800 miles. My wife drove it 2 miles and parked for 2 hours and when returned battery was dead. AAA came out and said battery was 9.1V and only had 47 CCA and needed to be replaced. They jumped it and I took to dealer without shutting it down. At dealer battery checked ok. My wife is new to the car, only the third time driving it and AAA is in the business of selling batteries so I do not know what happened. AAA parasitic test was .26 amps which thay said was ok and sounds high to me. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
0.26 amps is way to high. An acceptable load on the battery would be around 0.030 amps after the control systems have gone to sleep.

·
Administrator
3,290 Posts
Was the key fob close enough to the car to "keep it awake" when the AAA tested it?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Same Problem

Hi all,

Today is the second time we've had the exact problem described--dead battery on a '17 CR-V, in our case from 55 hours of not being driven. We even joked about it over the weekend, while running errands in our 2009 Fit, "hope the CR-V still starts on Monday!" It did not not start on Monday. (The other case was when trying to install the super tight OEM rear seat covers with all the lights on for a few hours. Which still seemed suspiciously short to kill a battery, but after waiting a few hours it did start at least.)

We bought this to be a second, family car, on the reputation built from having purchased our '09 Fit Sport in 2008, and having never had a moment's issue with it.

With a new baby joining the family in 3 weeks, I can't imagine how I'm going to put my faith in this car for emergencies. I shouldn't have to recreate the scene from Apollo 13 where they're working to boot up the lunar module in just the right sequence so as to not overload the batteries--it's an automobile, not a trip to space.

Not much to add to what the previous posters have stated, dealer service sounds confused when we call, and I'm sure won't find anything when we get it to them tomorrow. Will be sure to ask for Honda Tech Line Summary ATS 170301. For what it's worth, we religiously set the electronic parking brake every single time we park, so I don't know what more can be done except buying a battery-operated jumpstarter. Saw that several folks like the Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-10, so might get that one tonight.

Glad to see so many posts on the topic, when this happened the first time, there were far fewer and it felt like we might be on our own. Hopefully they will resolve this shortly, because for now it's unsuitable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Honda Customer Service

Hello Pip3754,

We are with American Honda Customer Service. We are sorry to hear about your CRV battery issues and your experience with your local Honda dealership. We would like to further review your concern. Can you please contact us and provide your contact information with VIN #. We look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you,
Dillon

Honda Automobile Customer Service
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
1919 Torrance Blvd.
Torrance, CA 90501

Contact Options:
Twitter: @HondaCustSvc
Automobile Customer Service Phone Number: 1-800-999-1009 opt. 7

Hi all,

Today is the second time we've had the exact problem described--dead battery on a '17 CR-V, in our case from 55 hours of not being driven. We even joked about it over the weekend, while running errands in our 2009 Fit, "hope the CR-V still starts on Monday!" It did not not start on Monday. (The other case was when trying to install the super tight OEM rear seat covers with all the lights on for a few hours. Which still seemed suspiciously short to kill a battery, but after waiting a few hours it did start at least.)

We bought this to be a second, family car, on the reputation built from having purchased our '09 Fit Sport in 2008, and having never had a moment's issue with it.

With a new baby joining the family in 3 weeks, I can't imagine how I'm going to put my faith in this car for emergencies. I shouldn't have to recreate the scene from Apollo 13 where they're working to boot up the lunar module in just the right sequence so as to not overload the batteries--it's an automobile, not a trip to space.

Not much to add to what the previous posters have stated, dealer service sounds confused when we call, and I'm sure won't find anything when we get it to them tomorrow. Will be sure to ask for Honda Tech Line Summary ATS 170301. For what it's worth, we religiously set the electronic parking brake every single time we park, so I don't know what more can be done except buying a battery-operated jumpstarter. Saw that several folks like the Antigravity Batteries AG-XP-10, so might get that one tonight.

Glad to see so many posts on the topic, when this happened the first time, there were far fewer and it felt like we might be on our own. Hopefully they will resolve this shortly, because for now it's unsuitable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2017 EX-L with Navigation, 2900 miles, and experienced the same issue. Battery went dead sitting in my garage. My wife didn't drive the car for four days and suddenly it is dead. I couldn't back it out of the garage even after using a trick to get it in neutral due to the electronic parking brake. I called Honda roadside assistance and they jumped it off using a portable device. I call Honda Customer Service and they said they had no record of any complaints like this, so I advise you all to call them at 800 999-1009 and then press 1 for English and then press 7 for Customer Service. I don't believe for a minute I was their first phone call. This needs a root cause investigation and a recall to fix a systemic issue. The more calls to Honda, the sooner they will get it fixed. I purchased Honda for reliability. If this car leaves us stranded again, I will be looking into the lemon law to see if that get their attention. Hope you all the best!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I initiated a claim via Honda's customer service Twitter, just called the number you provided below and my regional rep is playing dumb as well, as if this is the first reported incident. Funny how my local dealership told them Honda has already acknowledged this as an issue

I have a 2017 EX-L with Navigation, 2900 miles, and experienced the same issue. Battery went dead sitting in my garage. My wife didn't drive the car for four days and suddenly it is dead. I couldn't back it out of the garage even after using a trick to get it in neutral due to the electronic parking brake. I called Honda roadside assistance and they jumped it off using a portable device. I call Honda Customer Service and they said they had no record of any complaints like this, so I advise you all to call them at 800 999-1009 and then press 1 for English and then press 7 for Customer Service. I don't believe for a minute I was their first phone call. This needs a root cause investigation and a recall to fix a systemic issue. The more calls to Honda, the sooner they will get it fixed. I purchased Honda for reliability. If this car leaves us stranded again, I will be looking into the lemon law to see if that get their attention. Hope you all the best!!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I have an EX-L AWD purchased Jan 20 and the battery has gone dead 5 times. The first two were before the Tech Bulletin on the parking brake shutdown sequence and the other three times after I started using the new sequence. I've had the battery tested at the dealer once and it came back no issues. The last three times the battery went dead was after the dealer tested it. I have an appointment next Monday at the dealer for a parasitic scan. I only have 510 miles on this car in 4 months so I originally thought that was part of the issue.

I can't say that I am mad at Honda or that the car is a lemon yet. I have and have had many other Honda products including a 2004 CR-V with 291K miles and a 2004 Pilot with 193K miles and I'm sure Honda will take care of the issue. In the meantime I have purchased a jumper battery and added that to my shop equipment.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also currently own and drive a 2006 Civic Si that a bought brand new, 11 years relatively no issues. This is also why I invested in purchasing a 2017 CRV, for Honda's reliability, which is currently failing me significantly. Yes I blame Honda for not thoroughly testing the software/electrical system on a new car they released that I just spent a bunch of money on. What's the use of a new car that can't start after sitting idle for 5 days? Car has been on the market since January and Honda customer service is still playing dumb on the issue, it's barely being acknowledged let alone resolved..

I have an EX-L AWD purchased Jan 20 and the battery has gone dead 5 times. The first two were before the Tech Bulletin on the parking brake shutdown sequence and the other three times after I started using the new sequence. I've had the battery tested at the dealer once and it came back no issues. The last three times the battery went dead was after the dealer tested it. I have an appointment next Monday at the dealer for a parasitic scan. I only have 510 miles on this car in 4 months so I originally thought that was part of the issue.

I can't say that I am mad at Honda or that the car is a lemon yet. I have and have had many other Honda products including a 2004 CR-V with 291K miles and a 2004 Pilot with 193K miles and I'm sure Honda will take care of the issue. In the meantime I have purchased a jumper battery and added that to my shop equipment.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I also own a 2017 CRV ExL AWD that I took delivery on at the end of March. I left the car parked for one week while I was out of town and came home to a completely dead car....so dead, even the door openers wouldn't open, so I had to use the manual key and have HONDA service come jump start it. I took it in to have it checked and they said Honda had no reports of this and they found no problems, but they "reflashed" it. Drove the car for a couple weeks daily without problems and then left it parked 4 days. This time the door opener worked, but the car battery was too weak to get it to start. Called the Honda dealer I purchased it from and they've had the car parked for 5 days, tested it and said they found no evidence of any "parasitic battery drain". Such a bummer because now I have a brand new car with barely 500 miles on it that is unreliable unless I drive it daily. Today I filed a Case Number with Honda of North America and they said they will begin to investigate and someone will call me back in a day. Honda of NA seems to be trying to help and the Honda of Thousand Oaks Dealership was also very helpful, but the problem remains unsolved and this is very troubling. I realize the 2017 CRV's were completely made over, so there are not yet too many of them on the road yet, but hopefully enough of us will begin to pool and provide HONDA of North America with data, info and file an official case number that we will eventually solve this very annoying defect.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I also engaged? both American Honda and my local dealership, they also seemed to be working together. Today I finally got a call from both that a software update has been released to fix the parking brake battery drain. I suspect you should get a similar call too. From what I gather Honda is being cautious here to determine if the entire 2017 CRV population is affected from this issue before alerting the masses

Hi, I also own a 2017 CRV ExL AWD that I took delivery on at the end of March. I left the car parked for one week while I was out of town and came home to a completely dead car....so dead, even the door openers wouldn't open, so I had to use the manual key and have HONDA service come jump start it. I took it in to have it checked and they said Honda had no reports of this and they found no problems, but they "reflashed" it. Drove the car for a couple weeks daily without problems and then left it parked 4 days. This time the door opener worked, but the car battery was too weak to get it to start. Called the Honda dealer I purchased it from and they've had the car parked for 5 days, tested it and said they found no evidence of any "parasitic battery drain". Such a bummer because now I have a brand new car with barely 500 miles on it that is unreliable unless I drive it daily. Today I filed a Case Number with Honda of North America and they said they will begin to investigate and someone will call me back in a day. Honda of NA seems to be trying to help and the Honda of Thousand Oaks Dealership was also very helpful, but the problem remains unsolved and this is very troubling. I realize the 2017 CRV's were completely made over, so there are not yet too many of them on the road yet, but hopefully enough of us will begin to pool and provide HONDA of North America with data, info and file an official case number that we will eventually solve this very annoying defect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have also been having this same problem. I have a 2017 CR-v ExL AWD Nav that I took delivery of in January. The battery has died twice in the garage after not driving it for a couple days. Both times, I had to have Honda Roadside Assist come to jump the battery, since it could not be gotten out of the garage with the parking break engaged and the battery dead. The first time, the Honda service Advisor checked the battery, declared it good, and told me I must have left a light on - which I am positive that I didn't because we walk by it all the time in the garage. The second time, thanks to this thread in the forum, I was able to insist that this was sometime that was happening to other 2017 CR-Vs, although they told me that couldn't be true, because they had never heard of it being a problem. They tested for parasitic battery drain, and said the results were within spec. However, due to my insistence, they contacted Honda, found out about the software update, and updated the VSA software. I now have the car back, and will only know if the problem is gone if it doesn't happen again. Thank you so much for all your advice. The service reps don't tend to take women seriously, so without this information I would probably have been dismissed again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Got the software update, thanks to this forum

I have also been having this same problem. I have a 2017 CR-v ExL AWD Nav that I took delivery of in January. The battery has died twice in the garage after not driving it for a couple days. Both times, I had to have Honda Roadside Assist come to jump the battery, since it could not be gotten out of the garage with the parking break engaged and the battery dead. The first time, the Honda service Advisor checked the battery, declared it good, and told me I must have left a light on - which I am positive that I didn't because we walk by it all the time in the garage. The second time, thanks to this thread in the forum, I was able to insist that this was sometime that was happening to other 2017 CR-Vs, although they told me that couldn't be true, because they had never heard of it being a problem. They tested for parasitic battery drain, and said the results were within spec. However, due to my insistence, they contacted Honda, found out about the software update, and updated the VSA software. I now have the car back, and will only know if the problem is gone if it doesn't happen again. Thank you so much for all your advice. The service reps don't tend to take women seriously, so without this information I would probably have been dismissed again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Glad Honda acknowledged the issue and is finally starting to fix the problem for those affected. I also received the software update this morning and plan on testing the car to make sure it solved the draw on the battery

1 - 20 of 361 Posts