Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did we choose wrong car?

First time poster here. Yikes! We traded in our 2013 Lexus 350 ES, in part, because of this very issue. Lexus denied, denied, denied. We bought--you guessed it--a 2017 CRV Touring. Have had it about a month. No problems but I don't think it has sat more than 48 hours yet. I have turned auto off on the lights. Almost never use the parking brake. Should I start? Is this a common problem? Any advice is most welcome. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
If it were me, I'd put the new car through the wringer test wise.
Park it with the parking brake on, lights on Auto, and everything else OFF.
Leave it for 5 days minimum without driving it.
See if it starts after that.
And as an after thought, if my battery had ever gone completely dead from something like this I would not accept a 'recharged battery is good' answer from the dealer. I'd demand a new battery be put in.

·
Registered
600 Posts
First time poster here. Yikes! We traded in our 2013 Lexus 350 ES, in part, because of this very issue. Lexus denied, denied, denied. We bought--you guessed it--a 2017 CRV Touring. Have had it about a month. No problems but I don't think it has sat more than 48 hours yet. I have turned auto off on the lights. Almost never use the parking brake. Should I start? Is this a common problem? Any advice is most welcome. Thanks!
I don't think anyone really knows the extent of condition. If you drive the car daily you may never know if you have the issue or not. A few of us who let our CR-V's sit for more than a couple of days have experienced the dead battery issue. it seems to be associated with using the electric parking brake in auto set at shutdown or setting it and not waiting at least three seconds for shutting off the car when setting manually. Batteries have been draining in about two days if you leave the car sit that long. Honda supposedly now has a software update to the VSA that takes care of the issue. At least 2 members of the forum have had the fix applied recently and I am getting myself in line to get the fix. If you want to test yours, use the auto E Brake set feature and let your car sit a few days and see if it goes dead, but make sure you leave the car in a good position to get a jump start because you can't turn off the E Brake to roll the car when the battery is dead.

I don't think you bought the wrong car. I'm confident that Honda will get to the bottom of this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All - has anyone gotten this issued resolved? Looks like I am now having the same issue and headed to dealer in the morning. CRV sat in the garage for 9 days and would not start on my return. Called AAA for a charge and car is running okay now except for backup cam not working. Any suggestions on what to tell dealership. Car only has 900 miles - at this rate my 12 year old car seemed more reliable. ugh!!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Hi All - has anyone gotten this issued resolved? Looks like I am now having the same issue and headed to dealer in the morning. CRV sat in the garage for 9 days and would not start on my return. Called AAA for a charge and car is running okay now except for backup cam not working. Any suggestions on what to tell dealership. Car only has 900 miles - at this rate my 12 year old car seemed more reliable. ugh!!
Supposedly there is a VSA software update that fixes the issue. Check the similar thread in the 2017 forum. I and others have found that as long as you don't use the electric parking brake the battery doesn't die. If you are setting the E-Parking brake either manually or automatically at shutdown you run the risk of draining the battery in about 2 days.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yes I received the VSA software update a week ago, I let the car sit for 7 days with parking brake engaged, car started right up

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just got the car back and the dealer showed there was no update. I specifically asked about one. They claimed it was wrongly jump started by AAA. The backup cam was not working nor were some of the other safety features. They ended up having to hard reset the system. It's a brand new car for Pete's sake. Usually I start it up every day but on the rare occasion that I go on vacation and the car sits and I supposed to go through this every time?! I will keep a close eye on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's good that there is a fix, but apparently all the dealers are still unaware. Either that or the lied to me and applied the fix.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I initially also got the run around from my dealership as well, you should file a claim with American Honda corporate customer service, they really seemed to help drive solving the problem for me. It appeared they worked directly with my dealership in getting this resolved. IMO Honda is still being a little shady and coy about this issue, I think they are still trying to determine if the entire 2017 CR-V population is affected by this issue (which I believe it is) and that's why no official recall has been issued. Obviously this is bad so I think they are getting all their ducks in a row before alerting the masses. But I can tell you for a fact, I received a VSA software update and it worked, I can even show you my work order receipt from the dealership. There is a TSB bulletin about this from Honda and everything

That's good that there is a fix, but apparently all the dealers are still unaware. Either that or the lied to me and applied the fix.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2017 EX, incline driveway, we engage parking brake before turning car off, battery still drains in a couple days to the point where car won't start, Honda blaming it on sequence is BS, anytime you engage parking brake it draws on battery, complete BS for a new car, not happy, Honda offers no insight to a solution, as far I'm concerned, car is currently a lemon
My new CRV EX is on the road for just three weeks and it failed to start after I left it for nine hours in the parking of a train station. Honda roadside assist came and boosted it up and suggested me to run the engine continuously for at least 30 minutes. I drove some extra turns before arriving home and parked the car for the night. The next morning it failed to start again. Call the roadside assist again and this time I drove to the dealer for checking. And at the dealer the engine failed to start after it was turned off.
The dealer identify the problem the next morning and replaced the battery. Though the car is working for today but I am afraid it will fail to start again after a few week. The battery installed is definitely not a new one and is a no brand. And I am not convinced that the original Honda battery died for no other reason external to itself.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So when the dealer "identified" the problem, what was their explanation? Merely replacing the battery is not the solution..

2017 EX, incline driveway, we engage parking brake before turning car off, battery still drains in a couple days to the point where car won't start, Honda blaming it on sequence is BS, anytime you engage parking brake it draws on battery, complete BS for a new car, not happy, Honda offers no insight to a solution, as far I'm concerned, car is currently a lemon
My new CRV EX is on the road for just three weeks and it failed to start after I left it for nine hours in the parking of a train station. Honda roadside assist came and boosted it up and suggested me to run the engine continuously for at least 30 minutes. I drove some extra turns before arriving home and parked the car for the night. The next morning it failed to start again. Call the roadside assist again and this time I drove to the dealer for checking. And at the dealer the engine failed to start after it was turned off.
The dealer identify the problem the next morning and replaced the battery. Though the car is working for today but I am afraid it will fail to start again after a few week. The battery installed is definitely not a new one and is a no brand. And I am not convinced that the original Honda battery died for no other reason external to itself.

·
Administrator
3,290 Posts
If it's any consolation to you there have been a number of owners of new Pilots that have experienced defective batteries shortly after taking delivery.
Something tells me the manufacturer (there aren't many) needs to step up its game.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2017 crv ex-l. I left mine parked for 4 days. Going on vacation soon and wanted to make sure it would start. It did no issues. I did get a jump pack as I will be gone for 14 days and don't want to be stuck at the airport.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,025 Posts
First, we need to thank Honda for identifying the VSA/parking brake battery drain issue. From what I'm reading that is taking care of that problem.

That said, Honda has fitted marginal sized batteries to it's cars since the turn of the century. (Lighter, smaller battery = better MPG.) Over the years there are many topics regards what folks consider to be premature battery failure. Over on the FitFreak forum and on older Vs here, there are Topics about how to install bigger batteries.

So, continue to ask for replacements from the Dealers (and, notify Honda Customer Service too)

I can't WAIT until the cold weather comes back....

PS, remember to check the battery electrolyte level in the Fall. Heat and electrical demands can 'boil out' the distilled water, and you need to check and replenish it occasionally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I told the service rep to look up the Internet for possible parasitic draw; he gave me a very strong answer that they never look up the Internet for any solution. The service dept just replace the battery (for free; actually I want my original battery back, which is an authentic Honda battery)!
It may take a few more weeks before the battery dies again.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Dead Battery Fix

Stopped by my Honda dealer today. A service bulletin was released last week. It requires a cable of some sort to reprogram one of the computers. Expecting the tool to arrive in a week. This is the fix for the dead battery issue on the 2017 CRV. It is the official fix.

·
Registered
2,551 Posts
Did you happen to get a TSB number?

·
Registered
61 Posts
The official fix is out in a tech service bulletin. Came out last week. My Honda dealer informed me of the fix and is awaiting a "tool" to perform the service. I understand it is a software fix that requires a special cable to perform the update. Tool is expected late this week. Looking forward to the fix. I only had the issue happen once on my 2017 Touring. It may take some time but Honda seems to step up and fix this stuff.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Had the software update, per TSB, applied last Friday. Problem appears to be fixed. Your Honda service advisor should be able to look up the TSB for the 2017 CRV. I think they can search by VIN and or by year, model, trim. Took less than 40 minutes from time I drove in to when I left. Don't accept excuse from dealer. They have access to all TSB!

·
Registered
600 Posts
IMG_0097.jpg

Here is a list of 2017 CR-V's that are susceptible to the battery draining issue. I got this list from the Service Manager at my Honda dealer today. My Software update is scheduled for next Monday.

IMG_0096.jpg

21 - 40 of 361 Posts