Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 CRV Battery warranty problem

7K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Hiwyre 
#1 ·
Dealership replaced battery in June 2019.
3yr 36k warranty ended this month.
Battery is dead and dealership won't replace it under warranty.

Guess I'll contact the battery manufacturer since its label says 100 month limited warranty.

#2 ·
The battery manufacturer doesn't warranty the battery Honda does. Next look in your warranty booklet "The replaced or repaired parts are covered only until this New Vehicle Limited Warranty expires." All manufacturer's have this provisions. If not, I wouldn't have had to buy a battery in my life. I could fail a battery every 35 months and make it look like an act of God.

Attachments

#5 ·
There are many reasons which will cause a short battery life, some manufacturing defect, short driving cycles so the battery never gets properly charged, the battery sat on the shelf for a long time without being charged. These are not maintenance free batteries and you have to check the electrolyte level periodically.

#10 ·
Indeed.

It is a fairly common failed belief that Honda has to replace a battery replaced under the factory warranty. It is right there in writing in all the warranty documents that this is simply not the case.

Honda will replace a battery under warranty, with another Honda OEM (which if you actually purchase it, carrys a 36/100 split replace/prorate warranty). When Honda does so, it maintains the 3/36 warranty clock for the vehicle, but voids the normal 36/100 warranty that they offer on their batteries when purchased.

Honestly... owners are lucky that manufacturers even include batteries in their 3/36 bumper to bumper coverage, rather then pushing the owner back to the battery manufacturer (like they do with tires). Then again, given the state of failure rates on flooded cell batteries, it's very low cost good will on the part of the manufacturer to cover the battery... since batteries are the lowest reliability component in a modern motor vehicle.

#6 · (Edited)
If you have a documented record of the replacement, the dealer must replace the battery under the battery's warranty. Period. I don't care what anyone else here tells you. Any shop would be on the hook for this, and your dealer is not an exception. Assuming the battery is a brand name, call the maker, and ask for help with the dealer.. Otherwise, I would take the dealer to small claims court. You will win, and they will be forced by the court to replace it. It's not about the money by now, anyway, it's about the principle. By the way, disclaimers are meaningless, as they do not circumvent the law.

#7 ·
If you have a documented record of the replacement, the dealer must replace the battery under the battery's warranty. Period. I don't care what anyone else here tells you. Any shop would be on the hook for this, and your dealer is not an exception. Assuming the battery is a brand name, call the maker, and ask for help with the dealer.. Otherwise, I would take the dealer to small claims court. You will win, and they will be forced by the court to replace it. It's not about the money by now, anyway, it';s about the principle. By the way, disclaimers are meaningless, as they do not circumvent the law.
My consulting billable rate is $100 per hour. One thing I learned when i became an independent consultant is that my time has a very definite value and never to waste it on "principle". That's generally true for most people unless they are retired although many do not realize it.

#9 ·
Then don't use the $100 hours, use the other ones. That kind of thinking is why sellers use disclaimers, and why they work, even though most are invalid. For them it's a cheap money maker. Anyone who wastes money by not taking the time to make the effort to recover it when they can, especially when it is about holding someone to their word, deserves exactly what they don't get. Time is always cheaper than money to the spender. That is a basic law of practical economics, and is equally true for everyone, rich or poor. Of course, everything is relative. But, net worth is the difference between what you have coming in and what you have going out, and successful people take care of both, because both matter equally.

A battery costs $125-150 and up these days. Worth some effort, IMO. And the most important principle is the one in my bank account.

#8 ·
Yes it might only be $100, but for a replacement battery to die after 9 months and the dealer does nothing for you because you are at 36 months? To me that's just horrible customer service. That $100 means more to the customer than the dealer. Future car sale from that same dealer - gone.

#13 ·
I experienced the same with my 2017 CRV. The dealer replaced the battery in Aug 2019, and when I took the car in for an oil change last month, the tech said I needed a new battery.
The service advisor said that it was not covered under the 100 month warranty per the book because I did not pay for the battery. Not worth fighting over.

#14 ·
2017 CRV EX-L with Nav. I went through the same thing. I got to the 3rd Honda battery before I got one that would last awhile. My 2nd one was replaced with just a little time left on the Car Warranty and when it died well short of the fake 100 month battery warranty, I had to pay full price for the new battery. That car warranty short substitute for the longer battery warranty is in writing from Honda somewhere in the written material. It is a poor technique for any car maker to use to take advantage of a customer.

It is fair to say that Honda has little faith in the quality & endurance of their batteries. I also doubt that Honda has any expectation that a Honda battery will last 100 months. The 100 month warranty is a gimmick to lock Honda users into Honda batteries as long as they keep coming back for the proration on the failed battery.

rv

#15 ·
I have been told the same thing regarding the warranty by two different dealers, one in CA and one in San Antonio, TX. I have had 3 batteries in my 2018 Touring. Each has lasted under one year. Dealer said they have no rhyme nor reason as to which batteries will last and which will not. My mechanic says when the warranty is up just buy a non Honda battery and all should be well.

#16 ·
I have been told the same thing regarding the warranty by two different dealers, one in CA and one in San Antonio, TX. I have had 3 batteries in my 2017 Touring. Each has lasted under one year. Dealer said they have no rhyme nor reason as to which batteries will last and which will not. My mechanic says when the warranty is up just buy a non Honda battery and all should be well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.