Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read that the dealer install of a hitch for my bike rack would be expensive, and others have chosen to go with the Curt or Draw Tite models and installed themselves. I do not have all those tools to DIY install, so was wondering if anyone knows if the dealer would install the Curt or Draw Tite? If not, any recommendations on what kind of place could do the install.

Thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed a drawtite today, and it was pretty much straight forward, but I have done several hitches on other vehicles in the past. The quality of the drawtite was , not perfect, but it was unbelievably cheap. I actually cut the safety chain loop off and rewelded it because it was assembled crooked, the receiver tube was quite a bit larger than my bike rack tube, so I modified the receiver tube with two half inch bolts to eliminate the sway of the bike rack, and it is mint now. The equipment required, unless you are very skinny, is a floor jack that goes up approx 19" and four jack stands.
Another option for a after market trailer hitch for your 2017 crv, is call your local uhaul store, they did one for me in the past and did a good job and were only a little over a hundred bucks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I also checked price for a uhaul installed hitch in my area, and it is 141.00 installed, this is for a 1/1/4" hitch, nothing else, no wire harness or ball mount, nothing. but the price includes tax and installation. Also the hitch looks like a curtis hitch, which I personally think is better than a draw tite hitch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also checked price for a uhaul installed hitch in my area, and it is 141.00 installed, this is for a 1/1/4" hitch, nothing else, no wire harness or ball mount, nothing. but the price includes tax and installation. Also the hitch looks like a curtis hitch, which I personally think is better than a draw tite hitch.
Does UHAUL put their brand on the car, or do you bring them a Curt?

·
Registered
9 Posts
The trailer hitches have a uhaul sticker on them, but not very noticeable. It turns out it is exactly what I installed on my 2017 crv,
check out these two links, one is from uhaul and the other is from etrailer. the part numbers even match from both places.
They won't let me post links here yet, but anyways
The part number for the drawtite hitch and the uhaul are the same, just go to the two sites uhaul and etrailer

the image for the uhaul is wrong I am 99% sure.

·
Registered
231 Posts
1.25" hitches are very limiting in what you can do with them. Only once in my life have I ever put on a small receiver unit (in 2001), and I'd never do it again. The 2" receiver is so much more versatile. A much larger selection of bike racks, cargo trays, etc.

My post on the Drawtite install is a few entries down the main page.

·
Registered
9 Posts
why would a class I or II hitch limit your choices?

1.25" hitches are very limiting in what you can do with them. Only once in my life have I ever put on a small receiver unit (in 2001), and I'd never do it again. The 2" receiver is so much more versatile. A much larger selection of bike racks, cargo trays, etc.

My post on the Drawtite install is a few entries down the main page.
The crv towing capability is only 1500lbs, from what I seen, a class II hitch like the drawtite one I installed on my crv is rated for 3500lbs and tongue weight, 350lbs.
If you put a bigger profile hitch on, it will only stick out more and you may get it hung up on a stump if you are four wheelin.

I am referring mostly to bike racks and the better quality ones come with a standard 1.25 inch tube and sometimes they will include a bushing to install them with
a two inch receiver, but when you use a receiver bushing, it creates more play and wobble with your rack, so you are better using a smaller receiver if possible, to eliminate
wobble and sway.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Respectfully disagree. Go walk around a parking lot and look for yourself. Compare the Drawtite 36520 (1.25") to the Drawtite 44675 (2"). The lowest point on either of these units is the nuts of the U-bolt that attaches to the existing tiedown loop. The side bracketing and cross-tube are nearly the same, and the top of both receiver boxes hug the underside of the bumper. So the only real difference is a mere 0.75" of the bottom of the receiver box to the ground. Heck, your muffler hangs 2+ inches lower than that! Good luck with finding that tree stump....

As I said, I won't go small again. Get yourself a good locking anti-rattle hitch pin (the ones with the nut that goes inside the hollow 2" rack stinger). They take all of the free play out of the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts