Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home Friday my 2017 CRV Touring total broke down to my surprise. It only as 25 k on it and never gave me one bit of a problem, but when it broke it did it real good. I thought it was going to be just a camshaft sensor, which I found it happened to few people here. Like a bad sensor I loss power and every dash board light came on and every system failure listed on the screen flashed by.
I called Honda assist and I was very impressed with the service. They gave me somethings to try first, which I had already tried, so they set every thing up for me. They took all the needed information, arranged the tow and setup the appointment at my local dealer. To my surprise the dealer called me first thing in the morning before they were open and went over exactly what happened. They took all day before they got back to me and informed me they will have the CRV for a few days, bad camshaft lobe. I looked around to see if anyone else had this problem, but I did not see anything with this new of a car. Anyone out there had this problem?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like you have a good dealership for repairs. Can I ask if this issue is covered by warranty? I just bought a used 2017 which will be covered under the CPO warranty through 2021 or 48k and am debating adding the Honda Care warranty to extend that to 2025/120k. I know extended warranties are of hotly debated value. Trying to look into known issues and figure out what would be covered.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Sounds like you have a good dealership for repairs. Can I ask if this issue is covered by warranty? I just bought a used 2017 which will be covered under the CPO warranty through 2021 or 48k and am debating adding the Honda Care warranty to extend that to 2025/120k. I know extended warranties are of hotly debated value. Trying to look into known issues and figure out what would be covered.
See post #3 for link to TSB for warranty details. Warranty has been extended to 6 years, unlimited miles for certain items including camshaft.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got the CRV back from the dealer in 3 days. I have not gotten the final statement from the dealer, just the original copy of the work orders with their notes on it. The link https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165770-0001.pdf was exactly the problem. Codes on cylinders 2 and 4 and fuel in the oil. They had 12 hours work on the car replacing plugs. cams, rocker arm assembly and oil change. I am very happy with the dealers work and how I was taken care of by Honda, but I still have a lot of concerns about this engine. I did have "The Fix" done on the car a week after I got the notice. I change my on oil and check it regularly. I never noticed any gas smell in the oil on any check.
As I read over the TSB there was one line that stood out. Based on certain driving patterns and environmental factors may cause this problem. Well my wife is the poster child for that driving pattern. Cold days in the winter. Short driving times, less then 5 minutes on most trips during the day. Well I am not going to be able to change the way she uses the car, so do I change the car or hope the new Fix they installed works this time. I still have a full warranty for 1 year and 3 more on the engine, but I don't want to break down like I did again. I had no warning of any trouble, my phone was at home, and It was a snow storm I was walking through to get back home.
As of now the car is going. I think because of the way my wife uses the car it is going to happen again it is just a matter of when. I think if I stay with a CRV it will be with the new Hybrid coming out. The regular 2020 CRV are very nice, but they only have the same motor. There are not to many reports of this happening in the 19's but they are still some and the extended engine warranty does not cover them. The Hybrid has been out in Europe for a year now and there is very good reviews plus it uses the tested 2.0 engine in the system.
One last thing Is that dip stick in the CRV should be the first area of defense to stop this problem, but it is impossible to get a reliable reading on it. I have never seen anything so hard read in a car before, specially on a fresh oil change. That plastic tip and the oil don't work well together.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I know what you mean with the short cold drives. I, fortunately, don't have that problem. For your wife, she needs a PHEV. The Honda hybrid only has a 2kw battery. That will get you almost nowhere. If it was a 8kw, or so, it would be ok, but the engine still needs to run to charge the battery. I wish Honda would hurry up on the plugin variety.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,625 Posts
I got the CRV back from the dealer in 3 days. I have not gotten the final statement from the dealer, just the original copy of the work orders with their notes on it. The link https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10165770-0001.pdf was exactly the problem. Codes on cylinders 2 and 4 and fuel in the oil. They had 12 hours work on the car replacing plugs. cams, rocker arm assembly and oil change. I am very happy with the dealers work and how I was taken care of by Honda, but I still have a lot of concerns about this engine. I did have "The Fix" done on the car a week after I got the notice. I change my on oil and check it regularly. I never noticed any gas smell in the oil on any check.
As I read over the TSB there was one line that stood out. Based on certain driving patterns and environmental factors may cause this problem. Well my wife is the poster child for that driving pattern. Cold days in the winter. Short driving times, less then 5 minutes on most trips during the day. Well I am not going to be able to change the way she uses the car, so do I change the car or hope the new Fix they installed works this time. I still have a full warranty for 1 year and 3 more on the engine, but I don't want to break down like I did again. I had no warning of any trouble, my phone was at home, and It was a snow storm I was walking through to get back home.
As of now the car is going. I think because of the way my wife uses the car it is going to happen again it is just a matter of when. I think if I stay with a CRV it will be with the new Hybrid coming out. The regular 2020 CRV are very nice, but they only have the same motor. There are not to many reports of this happening in the 19's but they are still some and the extended engine warranty does not cover them. The Hybrid has been out in Europe for a year now and there is very good reviews plus it uses the tested 2.0 engine in the system.
One last thing Is that dip stick in the CRV should be the first area of defense to stop this problem, but it is impossible to get a reliable reading on it. I have never seen anything so hard read in a car before, specially on a fresh oil change. That plastic tip and the oil don't work well together.
For your wife's cold weather short drive pattern of a few minutes at a time.... I think you should give serious consideration to installing a block heater for cold season and teach her how to connect it to power and disconnect it before driving... providing the CRV is garaged or carported with access to power.

That way, she drives her short trips to and from home with a warm engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would like to hear from anyone who has had TSB 19-037 repair preformed on their CRV. I had this done last week after my CRV suddenly broke down without warning. I was very happy with the fast service I received, back on the road in just 4 days, but I got very little feed back on the cause or if there maybe other damage done to the engine. I never receive the finale printout from the dealer, but I did receive the ruff work order with the list of parts to order, Code numbers, and note saying there was gas in the oil. I was surprised about the gas in the oil. I checked it regularly, no high levels and no smell of gas in the oil.
How many mile have you put on the car since you had it done? Any other problems show up after the repair? Are you concerned about parts of the engine being damaged? Why did it damage just the camshaft lobes, you would think the crankshaft bearing and turbo would be damaged too. Any thoughts about getting rid of the crv for a new one or something else. My CRV is running fine now, but will I be able to say this a year or 2 from now?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Who knows what anybody can say about anything 1 or 2 years from now? Every manufacturer out there has had an odd/rare part failure of some kind.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,199 Posts
Closing this Topic. Post to the other one:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts