Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hopefully someone can explain what i am seeing.

Since i got my new crv in oct 2016 i have never been able to get native BT audio to work correctly with my samsung dumbphone. All i want is for the damned car and phone to interact properly according to the BT protocol that both say they are supporting.

I originally started with a used S5. While i could get the S5 to connect for phone and text use, i could not SEE any of my phone resident music when i used the MUSIC SEARCH button under the AUDIO control. It would always come back with a blank screen. I could play my phone music through the car as long as i initiated it on the phone, which clearly defeats the purpose of hands free. I also had the same problem trying to play music from android auto. No matter which music player i tried to use the system would not see the music on my phone. Or would not display it.

My new samsung S8 behaves exactly the same way in that BT does not find and display any of my music. Half of the time the MUSIC SEARCH button is now disabled, but even when it is enabled it shows nothing. This does work for android auto with the S8 and rocket player, but it should work for BT too as it is standard functionaliy. One of them is not behaving correctly.

For comparison, my wife's iphone has consistently connected without problem and her music shows up without a hitch.
Also, i have an ipod plugged in, and it works perfectly fine.

Help!!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
I would be surprised if the system would find audio on your phone, if it wasn't an iPhone using iTunes. iTunes has been integrated since the iPod days. The car would need to have an integrated Google Play for it to work on Android. Android Auto is still in it's early days, so maybe someday. Why not just copy all your music onto a memory stick and play it that way?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, let's see...

First off, honda says it should work.

Second, the native blue tooth functionality works with ipod and iphone, and that has nothing to do with itunes.

Third, the native Bt protocol specification addresses all of this functionality as a part of the protocol, so it DOES NOT require some sort of external music player.

Fourth, it did work for a while and then crapped out and stopped. I have gotten it to partially work again, but it just wont show the artists. It will show songs, playlists, albums, but now no artists. very inconsistent. I tend to think its a samsung problem, but Honda should do a much better job at testing device integration if they are going to tell me that it should just work.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
For some reason I missed the Bluetooth part and thought you meant you were connecting via USB. :) Now that I'm on the same page, have you tried starting a song Google Play Music, pausing it and then connecting to the car's Bluetooth to continue. It actually is using Play Music in the background while connecting that way. It is not using your phone as a hard drive. In any case, I would take it in and see if there's an update for your HU.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts