Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a lightly used 2017 CRV EX a few days ago. I had the dealer "detail" the car before I picked it up.

When I picked it up, the seats were still kind of wet, smelled like some sort of cleaner, and were a little bit sticky. Dealer said that should go away.

Now, a few days later, the seats are dry but they feel very rough, filmy, and a little bit sticky. When I run my hand over them it's left feeling sticky.

I am guessing that they used some sort of shampoo vacuum, waiting to hear back from the dealership.

Has anyone else had this experience where getting their car detailed changed the feel of the cloth seats, particularly in a 2017 or 2018 CRV? I'm concerned they used the wrong product and have ruined the feel of my seats. Also, it doesn't look that clean...

Do your seats feel rough to the touch?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My ex seats are soft, definitely not rough.
Might be some type of protectant they used and ‘hardened’ them a bit

After finding out what they actually did, go buy a little hand steamer and hit one small portion of the seat, wipe with a clean cloth and leave that for a few days to see if that removes the coating.

Don’t touch them till they get back to you though!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.

They said that they 'hit it with a shampoo vacuum' and if I come in they can re-do it and explain why it might change the texture of the seats...if it changes the texture of the seats, you shouldn't do it, especially without warning me about it. It doesn't even really look any cleaner! So angry. Asking them if they can do anything to restore it.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I'd try a little Woolite mixed in water my self and scrub 'em lightly with a soft brush/cloth. Leave the doors open to facilitate drying. Gotta box fan?

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

They said that they 'hit it with a shampoo vacuum' and if I come in they can re-do it and explain why it might change the texture of the seats...if it changes the texture of the seats, you shouldn't do it, especially without warning me about it. It doesn't even really look any cleaner! So angry. Asking them if they can do anything to restore it.
See if they’ll install a Katzkin leather interior kit if you pay for the material and they do the labor.
Play up the angry CRV over role!

Mine is soft but not like suede, still had the usual thickness on the heavy wear spots.
Maybe grab another ex on the lot and see if what you think is hard might be the standard.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
See if they’ll install a Katzkin leather interior kit if you pay for the material and they do the labor.
Play up the angry CRV over role!

Mine is soft but not like suede, still had the usual thickness on the heavy wear spots.
Maybe grab another ex on the lot and see if what you think is hard might be the standard.
Yeah, I don't think I'll have to act much, i'm pretty miffed. Spoke to the detail guy at the dealership and he told me the name of the chemical / solvent they used on the seats but I didn't write it down. I'm going to head in today and they're going to see what they can do for me, hopefully steam it out? I'll compare to a new seat as well to see if I'm being a psycho.

So the background is I spilled a little coffee in the car during test drive. I asked if I could go clean it up before it set in, and the sales person told me don't worry they'd get it detailed. So I think they hosed the entire interior with whatever solvent they use to get out coffee stains because they didn't know where it was. Communication skills are going to be the downfall of humanity. Once I figure out what they used on it and what the resolution is I'll post it here, in case anybody else cares.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up:

I took it back to the dealer, and had them rinse and dry the upholstery twice, and the sticky residue finally came out for the most part. They missed the very front of the seats, but i had to drag them through doing the rest so I wasn't going to get any more service. The problem was excess residue from shampooing and not enough rinse/dray.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
That makes sense. I have shampooed cloth seats in various Hondas over the years and never had an issue. I always did a pass with clear water to make sure all the shampoo was out.

However, I really don't like what some dealers do with the used cars. They put this slick-looking oily spray onto all of the interior plastic to make it look "new," as it also hides all the scratched scuffs. Some also use a fragrance to cover up odors, especially in the carpet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts