Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought this with 16k miles. Didn't notice the loud tire noise when test driving. But, it is annoying. It is louder than my 2004 Honda Pilot.

I looked through the thread and couldn't find anything regarding this, but I've googled it and it seems to be an issue for some. Is it the tires? This has Hancook tires. Any suggestions or advice would be helpful. Wife's car and I don't drive it much....but when I do its not good.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Does the sound change or increase in volume with speed?
Does it sound different on different road surfaces?

And even without the answers it's probably the tires.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would say increase with speed. Sounds better on concrete than blacktop. Its strange and bugs me to death - especially a newer car.

·
Registered
607 Posts
You just bought an EXL with 16,000 miles on it and you mentioned that it is wearing Hankook tires. I may be wrong but you may be the first person to have a non Touring model with Hankooks. It seems most EX and EXLs have Bridgestones from the factory. Maybe it is a 2WD thing.
Do these tires have 16,000 miles on them or are they new?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've always been a Michelin guy - just have a hard time believing they would put such a loud tire straight out of the factory.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've always been a Michelin guy - just have a hard time believing they would put such a loud tire straight out of the factory.
I just got a new 2018 EX, and it came with the Hancooks. I heard and read bad reviews on tirerack.com.
FYI, Costco got a deal on Bridgestone tires, a big discount and I belive 1 cent per tire (installation). And they'll do all the rotations and even flat tires.
I think they might have some similar deals on the Michelins.

I might just keep mine CRV for only three years or so, but if I was about to keep it longer I would definitely sell the Hancooks on CL, and get a Michellins or Bridgetons.

A good set of Michelins Premier A/S came in number 2 on some reviews on tirerack.

See the link attached

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=GTAS&width=235%2F&ratio=60&diameter=18&tireSearch=true&filter=y&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=CR-V+2WD&autoModClar=EX

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Premier+A%2FS&partnum=36HR8PREAS&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Honda&autoYear=2018&autoModel=CR-V%202WD&autoModClar=EX

I believe you can get a better deal at Costco on those Michelins.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Was it a certified pre owned?
Check the tires out at a local tire spot and go back to the dealwr with the readings if they are below spec, but like others said the oem options are very ‘meh’ once they get 15-25k generally so might have to take an L And replace.

Sams club ans costco both have some good stackable rebates back on tires now
Sams is 170 off a set of 4 + free install

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Chatted with Tire Rack and they recommended the Michelin Defender T&H - Anyone with personal experience? Costco has them on backorder but I will check Sams Club.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Chatted with Tire Rack and they recommended the Michelin Defender T&H - Anyone with personal experience? Costco has them on backorder but I will check Sams Club.
Defenders are good
Just make sure you know what model you are getting, there are sub models that are costco or store exclusives, give a call to michelin to sort out now so you get what you need for ride and sound

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update - Bought the Michelin Defenders. Can't believe the difference. You hear virtually nothing. Well worth the $850 spent.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the hankooks are absolute junk. Had the same noise when I bought a 2017 EX-L with 19K miles. I initially thought it was the drive shaft. Replaced with bridgestones and now its absolutely quite.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts