Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2017 EX-L and wanted to add 2 more smart keys to the original two, for a total of 4 smart keys. A few dealers said they could do it and when I went into another dealership after I setup an appointment, they said the car can only accomodate 2 smart keys. Is this true? Does anyone have more than the 2 original smart keys?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can have 4 keys, but there are only two memory settings for the seats, instrument panel, etc.
How do I tell the Honda service department this info. The service rep even went back to confirm with the head service guy and he said the the 2017 can only accommodate 2 smart keys. Do you think this might be a limitation of their programming device?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I think these instructions are referring to a model with a physical key. I am referring to the smart key fobs that require a dealer program them.
I stand corrected, I didn't realize that Honda had switched to keyless ignition.

Everything I could find out the "keyless" remotes was that they had to be programmed by a Honda dealer, although there was mention that if you bought your keyless remote from an online store you should call your local locksmith first, as they might also be able to program it (and for less than the dealer).

And while it might not be obvious, the keyless remote does have a key in it, which you can use to unlock the doors if the battery goes dead in the remote.
And if it is dead, you might still be able to start your vehicle if you hold the remote close to the start button while pushing it.

Makes me love my 2014 CR-V even more! :D

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts
I stand corrected, I didn't realize that Honda had switched to keyless ignition.

Everything I could find out the "keyless" remotes was that they had to be programmed by a Honda dealer, although there was mention that if you bought your keyless remote from an online store you should call your local locksmith first, as they might also be able to program it (and for less than the dealer).

And while it might not be obvious, the keyless remote does have a key in it, which you can use to unlock the doors if the battery goes dead in the remote.
And if it is dead, you might still be able to start your vehicle if you hold the remote close to the start button while pushing it.

Makes me love my 2014 CR-V even more! :D
The lack of keyless (or push button) start was one of many reasons for us to trade in our '14 CR-V after just one year of ownership. After having this feature in all of our other vehicles for the previous 7 years (since 2007) , it was a big step back to loose it. I will not buy another vehicle without keyless entry and start.

I know, can I spell S P O I L E D? LOL

Side note, our son recently received a 2018 Ford Fusion as a company car. It has keyless/push button start, but NOT entry. He has to physically use the fob or key to enter the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2017 EX-L and wanted to add 2 more smart keys to the original two, for a total of 4 smart keys. A few dealers said they could do it and when I went into another dealership after I setup an appointment, they said the car can only accomodate 2 smart keys. Is this true? Does anyone have more than the 2 original smart keys?
Theoretically this could be done. All the vehicle I have owned have a limited amount of key codes that the vehicle will hold before erasing the first one. What you would need is cloned keys of FOB 1&2. I don't think the dealer will do this because it opens up some legal issues. Lets say someone unscrupulous gets a cloned set of keys and then sells the vehicle they could come back to the new owners house and just drive away with the car. While highly unlikely to happen with a CRV I think that it's probably an industry policy not to make clones of existing FOBs. You might want to PM user member @Han471 and see what he has to say on the matter.

Rob

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Theoretically this could be done. All the vehicle I have owned have a limited amount of key codes that the vehicle will hold before erasing the first one, this is typically two. What you would need is clones made of FOB 1&2. I don't think the dealer will do this because it opens up some legal issues. Lets say someone unscrupulous gets a cloned set of keys and then sells the vehicle they could come back to the new owners house and just drive away with the car. While highly unlikely to happen with a CRV I think that it's probably an industry policy not to make clones of existing FOBs. You might want to PM user member @Han471 and see what he has to say on the matter.

Rob
I tried to pm @Han471 but not able to find that name

·
Super Moderator - How may I help?
3,671 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just wanted to report success. I wouldn't let the dealership deter me from pursuing this. I ended up calling a mobile locksmith off of yelp. He said that the Honda's can actually have 6 remotes. He wasn't sure if I would lose the memory seat settings. I would like the memory but the extra sets of smartkeys were more important to me. He programmed them in 20 mins and all four keys work like a charm. The only thing is that only two sets of keys have the memory on the seats, which doesn't matter to me because the other two remotes are just backups. Never trust the dealer!

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is great news as I wanted spares for my 2018 Honda CRV EXL. Do you know if the locksmith cloned the 2 extra keys or programmed them? Also are the two extra keys Driver 1/Driver 2 keys or are they the generic EX key without the drivers seat memory. Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will have to check my keys but I think the memory is still there. As for the programming, it was cloning. The locksmith re-programmed all four keys, one at a time.

·
Registered
2017 EX-L AWD
121 Posts
Expanding on this topic a bit, we have a 2017 CR-V and are adding a 2019 HR-V to the fleet. It would be super convenient if wife and I could use one fob (each) work with both cars. Has anyone tried this or read about it? The HR-V EX doesn't have power seats, so we should probably try to teach it to recognize the CR-V fobs.

I 'm asking here since there is much more activity in the CR-V forum than the HR-V.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Expanding on this topic a bit, we have a 2017 CR-V and are adding a 2019 HR-V to the fleet. It would be super convenient if wife and I could use one fob (each) work with both cars. Has anyone tried this or read about it? The HR-V EX doesn't have power seats, so we should probably try to teach it to recognize the CR-V fobs.

I 'm asking here since there is much more activity in the CR-V forum than the HR-V.
I think there is a small chance that this is possible, but if you went to the dealership they would never do it for you, since it is a security issue. I think the only way is through a locksmith. When I tried to get my programming done, my locksmith didn't guarantee anything and said he was only willing to try and see what happens.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts