Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2017 CRV-EX TPMS Calibration?

11K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  fdthird 
#1 ·
I took a trip to Disneyland with the grandchildren from the SF Bay Area (400 miles). When I was about 20 miles from our hotel I got a message about low tire pressure. I thought that I had picked up a nail. When I got to the hotel I checked each tire and they were around 35 lbs. At least they were all consistent so I ruled out a nail or flat. I headed to a gas station to add some air (38-40 lbs) but the low tire pressure warning light wouldn't clear.

I read the manual and it appears that I have to Re-Calibrate the TPMS system when there's a change in tire pressure. Is this the norm anytime I have to add air to the tires?

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!

#5 ·
I’m wondering why one would run 38-40 psi?

#6 · (Edited)
What a dumb system. I had so many vehicles I never seen a system going off after loosing just loss 2 LBS of air on each tire.
I had a similar issue when I took a long trip a week ago. I pulled over and the reading on the front tires were at 31 LBs and rear at 29 1/2 Lbs.
I had to check the tires a bunch of times looking for a nail or a damaged tire.

I finally found a gas station and added some air. Then the TPS didn't reset either like other vehicles, you have to go to set it up to calibrate the tires. Really dumb system.
You loose 2 Lbs and the system goes off.
What a waste of time in the middle of nowhere, in the cold looking for a gas station.
You spent over $30K, and you cannot see which tire needs air either. I had to keep on checking the four tires.

#8 ·
What a dumb system. I had so many vehicles I never seen a system going off after loosing just loss 2 LBS of air on each tire.
<snip>
I finally found a gas station and added some air. Then the TPS didn't reset either like other vehicles, you have to go to set it up to calibrate the tires. Really dumb system.
Honda doesn't use tire pressure sensors; rather, as described in the owner's manual, the computer compares tire rpms and if they don't match the calibrated ratio, it alerts.

Maybe it seems dumb (seems pretty smart to me) but at least it works. On every other system I've had that used tire sensors, the system produced more faults than the tire pressure. So much so, in fact, that twice when I really did have a tire pressure problem, I attributed it to just another system fault until the problem was obvious.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Your tires were probably overfilled when you bought the car (mine was at 40 psi). I'm guessing the loss of pressure is measured from the factory psi causing the TMPS to light up even though it still has plenty of air. You need to set the pressure to recommended pressure. I keep my 2018 at 34. Just slightly above recommended.
I recalibrate every time I check pressure, even if I didn't add air. I haven't had any false alarms.

#9 ·
My tyres were also overfilled to 40psi on delivery 2 weeks ago. I wonder why the dealership did not reduce the pressures to 30psi as recommended at the pre delivery inspection (19 inch rims, UK spec). Had reduced the pressures at home next day using the handheld pressure gauge to 32psi, but perhaps it was not effective. After about 2 weeks of driving, the tyre deflation warning came on this evening, went to the BP service station on the way home, tyres were warm from the motorway drive, read 36psi, deflated to 32psi (£1 for 5 mins of use, daytime robbery) and initialized the TPMS calibration, and the warning disappeared instantly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.