Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a question for those who own a 2017 CRV.... today, was driving at night and need to make an adjustment to the lights using the steering wheel lever but when I reached for it I couldn't see anything ..... everything else was backlit in the dashboard and steering wheel but NOT the levers on either side of the steering wheel column... I started to asked myself " were they ever lit or did I think they used to but they never did work or turned on...."

Can any of you help me out with this... I find it odd that these two levers don't lit up and I have had so many issues already with my LemonCRV that I wouldn't doubt this is yet a new problem....

Thank you all in advance .....

Cheers,

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,706 Posts
Thank you so much ..... wow ,...that's a design miss in my view (but if your comment is right then Honda is not the only one missing it !!!

Cheers !!! and thank you once again !!!!!
def not a design miss.
you shouldn’t need to take your eyes off the road to turn on wipers or know how to signal

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
def not a design miss.
you shouldn’t need to take your eyes off the road to turn on wipers or know how to signal
Thank you for telling me that ... but I disagree because the commands in these levers are getting more and more complex (beyond using the turn signal or change from high beam to low beam)... so it would be nice (whether I'm driving or not ) that you wouldn't need to run on the light inside the cabin to make changes....

·
Banned
252 Posts
I've had issues figuring out the headlights too. I have found myself driving down the road at night with no headlights a couple of times now. When I finally realize it, it's difficult to figure out how to turn them on since it's too dark to read the settings on the stalk at night, even with the interior lights on.

Then I go home and yell at my wife to quit rotating the knob out of auto mode, but it does no good since she doesn't like to listen to me.

I've been tempted to take some superglue to it to make sure I don't have these problems anymore.

If this isn't your primary vehicle and if you don't drive it very often, stuff like this, along with all of the touch screen and steering wheel controls isn't very intuitive or easy to figure out. Especially while you're trying to drive around on unfamiliar city streets when it's dark out.

Oh well, as long as all of the crash avoidance stuff keeps working I guess I'll be alright. (y)

·
Registered
857 Posts
I've had issues figuring out the headlights too. I have found myself driving down the road at night with no headlights a couple of times now. When I finally realize it, it's difficult to figure out how to turn them on since it's too dark to read the settings on the stalk at night, even with the interior lights on.
so you can drive a few hundred yards with the lights off before you realize the lights are off? But you can't see the stock at all with the lights on? I'm confused. Either way, once you realize the lights are off keep your eyes on the road and turn the stalk one click... can you see? No? Turn stalk again to the next click repeat... This is not at all difficult.

sadly maybe we all reach an age someday when we shouldn't be driving anymore... I do empathize if modern technology hastens that timeline.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Banned
252 Posts
On well lit city streets at night, outdoor visibility is almost the same weather you're using the headlights or just the daytime runners.

It really doesnt make much of a difference which click its in.

And by the way I'm 43, not 83, and as far as I know my vision is just fine.

If I'm the only one who has ever driven without my headlights on without realizing it, then I sincerely apologize for wasting your time.

I think my issue is that I regularly drive 2 other vehicles more often than the CRV, and I've gotten used to leaving the lights in auto mode on those other vehicles, and I always set the CRV to auto headlight mode as well, but then my wife switches it back to off and it throws off my whole game.

Oh well. First world problems!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
Thank you for telling me that ... but I disagree because the commands in these levers are getting more and more complex (beyond using the turn signal or change from high beam to low beam)... so it would be nice (whether I'm driving or not ) that you wouldn't need to run on the light inside the cabin to make changes....
Like many things with consumer products (which is what motor vehicles are), when you get a new one.. you take time to become familar with all the controls.

The manual can assist with this, but honestly.. for this particular case, no manual should be required. Once familiarized.. it quickly becomes second nature as to how to operate controls without having to actually look at them (and taking your eyes off the road while driving o_O ).

This is called "learning curve", and you do it once for each new product.. in this case a new CRV... and you do it before driving on the road.

I literally never have to look at either of my control arms on my steering column.. simply because 1) they are largely standard among vehicles. 2) I learned the exact switch settings/options in my CRV the first day I drove it. The only unique features for my Touring were the autoheadlight setting and the auto wipers settings, and were quickly familiarized and learned.

·
Registered
425 Posts
if you can not see or remember where the switches are in the stalks, turn on the consul light.... now you can see....
curious, why would one take it off auto anyways.... in my case I turn to off when I am cleaning the CRV, don't want the headlight staying on when I am constantly going in and out of the car.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,548 Posts
if you can not see or remember where the switches are in the stalks, turn on the consul light.... now you can see....
curious, why would one take it off auto anyways.... in my case I turn to off when I am cleaning the CRV, don't want the headlight staying on when I am constantly going in and out of the car.
Yeah.. leaving headlights on auto is fine. Prudent actually.

I never leave the automatic wipers on though... because --> going through a car wash. If you forget to turn off auto wipers.. the car wash will probably rip the wipers off your vehicle before you can react and turn auto wipers off. I recently saw a woman at the car wash do just that with what looked like a new Honda Odessey. She paniced.... and tried to back out of the wash (instead of just turning off the wipers) ... but not before one of the scrubber arms managed to mangle her passenger side wiper.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts