Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My CRV is going into storage, and cannot be driven, at a friends apartment underground parking since my garage is full and she doesn't use her parking spot. There is no place to plug in a smartcharger. I was thinking of removing battery or disconnecting negative but she tells me there has been some vandalism/theft from vehicles (high-rise) so I want to leave the alarm operable. I am considering leaving the battery in for 6 months, then pulling it out and charging. My question is does anyone have experience with just leaving the battery connected during 6 months storage?

G.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Leaving the battery connected with a battery saver would be the way to go; otherwise, if you leave it in, the parasitic draw could drain the battery. Turning everything off inside can help, but there's still going to be battery power going to your KAM (Keep Alive Memory).

Storage:

1. Drive vehicle to operating temperature, change oil/filter
2. Use fuel stabilizer (if your gas station doesn't already add it)
3. Completely fill the fuel tank (moisture can contaminate the fuel and fuel systems)
4. If the garage isn't heated, remove the battery, or use battery saver
5. Ensure antifreeze is still good

There are also a few other things, but that's the gist.

·
Registered
574 Posts
My CRV is going into storage, and cannot be driven, at a friends apartment underground parking since my garage is full and she doesn't use her parking spot. There is no place to plug in a smartcharger. I was thinking of removing battery or disconnecting negative but she tells me there has been some vandalism/theft from vehicles (high-rise) so I want to leave the alarm operable. I am considering leaving the battery in for 6 months, then pulling it out and charging. My question is does anyone have experience with just leaving the battery connected during 6 months storage?

G.
Perhaps look into a storage facility where the car would be safer and you could plug in a battery tender. Might be worth the money.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Definately have the oil/filter changed, wash the car, fill with fuel, add fuel stabillizer and drive to ensure it is mixed well.
I would recommend slightly overfilling tires to allow for leakage (at least to 35 pounds)
Back in the day, 6 months in a heated garage may not have killed a battery but I am highly doubtful now and if the battery discharges way down, it may not be any good in 6 months even after charging; if somebody actually breaks into your CRV will there be anyone to actually hear the alarm? I would pull the battery and leave on a maintainer unless you are able to tap into a light fixture or run a long extension cord in the garage.
Ensure the parking brake is not engaged (this could sieze up).

During the 6 months I would not start the car and let run for a few minutes unless you truly intend to completely warm it up and charge things up (ie drive 30 miles minimum). If you can take the car out for 2 runs during this period things would likely be ok without disconnecting the battery so long as it is in good condition.

·
Premium Member
2019 Acura RDX Aspec
1,703 Posts
With the car market in the toilet.
As wild as it sounds why not just carmax or sell it and rebuy in 6 months
Unless funds are tight.

this idea would be horrible a year ago but now... an option!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,511 Posts

G.
If you do not put the vehicle on a smart battery charger/maintainer.. the battery will be dead (stone cold dead) within 45 days. Gen5s have a normal power down current demand of 35-50 ma. So, absent a battery maintainer hooked up..... disconnect the battery.

If you have an older vehicle in your garage, I suggest you store that at your friend apartment, and keep the CRV in your garage with a smart battery maintainer on it. If your garage is full, but it is not vehicles.... then time to clean @#$% out and make room. :)

I also suggest you over-inflate the tires as well, as even good tires will slowly leak... probably 1/2 lb psi per week.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,135 Posts
I don't know how the above battery tips could work if the OP wants the alarm towork, as stated.
Some aftermarket alarms have their own back-up battery.

Otherwise, the tips in Post 2 are great (BUT IMO, fill the tires to the max PSI on the sidewall, as Honda does on new cars).

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
I don't know how the above battery tips could work if the OP wants the alarm towork, as stated.
Some aftermarket alarms have their own back-up battery.
Yeah.. the vehicle has to be locked for an alarm to work and you cannot do that unless all the doors are locked AND the hood is down and in the locked position.

So.. for a locked vehicle... you would need to either A) run an SAE port or cable through the front grill of the vehicle and and connect it to the battery maintainer with an SAE mating connection or B) put the battery maintainer under the hood and connect it and run it's power cord out the front grill of the vehicle to a power plug.

Problem is.. if it is in a public parking area.. the above is not a sound approach.

Parked outside, I have heard of people connecting a solar panel laid out on their dash facing the sun connected to a battery maintainer. That could work indefinitely since the battery does not need much topping up in a 24 hour period.

IMO, fill the tires to the max PSI on the sidewall, as Honda does on new cars
(y)(y)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually started my post by explaining that I have been storing vehicles for 6 months for about 30 years so am familiar with that aspect. Unfortunately just before I posted I decided my post was too long so deleted that. In the end I was just questioning whether a well charged battery would be dead in 6 months and the answer seems to be yes.

My garage is full of other vehicles and the CRV is the least expensive so that's why I chose it. After reading the suggestions and not liking the options, I called the insurance company here and found out I can get fire/theft/vandalism insurance for $100 for 6 months so will do that and not worry so the battery can be removed.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
Disconnect your car battery. Then connect the battery to a dummy alarm flashing LED (10mA draw).

Then, at least it'll look like you have a functioning alarm. Just not sure if even a well-charged CRV car battery would last 6 months with a 10mA draw.
If the battery (a 51R) is fully charged and has proper capacity in terms of stored charge.. it will last ~ 20 weeks before totally discharged at a constant load of 10 ma.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody. I decided to just pull the negative lead off the battery and let it be. Any issues with a 2017 CRV reinstalling the battery cables. I do this every year with a MB SLK350 and no problems but have not done a CRV. I hear BMW needs a system reset via the ODB port.

·
Super Moderator
7,511 Posts
Thanks everybody. I decided to just pull the negative lead off the battery and let it be. Any issues with a 2017 CRV reinstalling the battery cables. I do this every year with a MB SLK350 and no problems but have not done a CRV. I hear BMW needs a system reset via the ODB port.
From what I have read in this forum, normally you will get a light show on the instrument panel initially while all the systems come back on line and self checks are completed. Driving for a bit seems to clear all this up and off you go. I believe you may lose a few presets on the head unit, but that is all.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,066 Posts
Once you get back, charge the battery overnight then head back to get your baby. You can reduce the insurance on the car to minimum liability to save money. Probably ok to drop collision as well unless your lender demands it. Get a mileage discount added to your policy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.