Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping the forum can help...
I purchased a dealer demo '17 CRV LX with 5500 miles on it back in mid April...
I have a long commute and I have already put 17K more miles on it....and my economy has been locked right at 29.9 since I bought it...
Nothing has changed in my commute or driving style etc....every time I change the oil I reset everything and within a week it has found its happy spot....29.9 avg mpg.
In the past week and a half, I have watched my avg economy drop by 1/10th of a MPG per day...
I am now in the mid 28's...
The A/C season is over....I would have thought my mileage may bump up a little bit...
The odd problem is I feel like I am dragging an anchor around the past week.....the car feels sluggish off a stoplight....feels as though I have to push the accelerator a little harder to get up with the flow of traffic...
When you let off the gas it seems to slow down much faster.....it seems almost like the emergency brake is slightly engaged although not enough to trigger the light...driving in residential or city driving around 25 mph etc.....when you let off the gas to make a turn etc.....you don't even need to hit the brakes the car is slowing down on its own...

Took it to the dealer I purchased it from yesterday and they were worthless.....told me it was totally normal.....didn't listen one bit to the fact the avg econ has dropped over 1 mpg in the last week with no changes in route of driving style or other outside influencers.
Service manager claims he drove it and it felt totally normal and to bring it back when it acts up again......I didn't get a quarter mile down the road and I could feel the car was still slowing much faster than normal....
I've put 17k miles in 7 months so the seat of my pants is pretty well calibrated.....something is wrong here!!

Could it be that since the temp has been in the mid to low 30's lately that my AWD system is engaged and that is what is influencing the car???

Fire away!

·
Registered
116 Posts
It's interesting you mention this topic, because I've noticed my mileage vary greatly as well. This has been in the back of my mind for a while now.

On a recent road trip, my mileage varied from ~27mpg on the outgoing leg and for some reason, I got ~31.5mpg (converted from L/100km) on the return. Same speed on the highway (~68mph / 110km/h), same traffic conditions, same amount of stops, etc.. and the road between cities is pretty flat. I've done that trip many times and my mileage is always pretty much the same between outgoing and returning. Only difference to note was that it was windier and raining on the outgoing leg.

To add to this, after the trip, I slapped on Nokian winter tires and for some reason, my mpg is now way better than with the OEMs I got. With the OEMs and warmer weather (I got the car in October this year), I was averaging about 29mpg per tank. Now with the winters on, I am getting in the high 31s. I am driving with the same habits and types of trips. And it's cold here now - temps are in the negative celsius in the morning and the engine does take a while to warm up.

My car has about 4k miles on it now.

I am not complaining about the mileage, because it's better than what I expected it to be when I was shopping around. And I know mileage improves during the break in, but generally, I always slap on Nokians and winter tires in general increase fuel usage by about 10% from data in my previous cars. And when it gets cold, mileage of course drops even further.

I also notice that some days, the CR-V seems slow at starts and somewhat sluggish as well. But I always attribute it was my mood or patience that day.

But to the OP, dealers of course won't spend time on these types of problems if it's not a clear, defined issue.

I'm going to connect my ScanGauge finally and hopefully I'll get more accurate numbers. I don't trust the fuel efficiency gauges generally.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Cant explain sluggishness maybe tires are low on air? I live in NY and in October they use a winter blend of gas that reduces fuel mileage. I also notice my MPG is lower when it rains.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
My crv (ex) usually hovers around 30-33 but in the colder winter months i could see it as low as 23.
I chalk it up to warming car up, running heat etc. since i drive shoet distances i dont care too much but if i had a long highway commute id look into it further

From the internet...

Winter gas is more volatile and evaporates more quickly, so it is ideal for it is used in the colder air of winter. In terms of gas mileage, you get better mileage on summer blends than winter blends because the summer blend gasoline has about 2% greater energy value than winter blend

engine oil and other fluids become thicker when they are cold, creating more friction inside the car's engine and causing the car to use more energy. Autoblog said another major reason is the change in gasoline available in the winter as compared to the summer

·
Registered
271 Posts
It's really sluggish when you just started the car and want to accelerate immediately during cold weather but I notice after the "fix", acceleration is more responsive
Hoping the forum can help...
I purchased a dealer demo '17 CRV LX with 5500 miles on it back in mid April...
I have a long commute and I have already put 17K more miles on it....and my economy has been locked right at 29.9 since I bought it...
Nothing has changed in my commute or driving style etc....every time I change the oil I reset everything and within a week it has found its happy spot....29.9 avg mpg.
In the past week and a half, I have watched my avg economy drop by 1/10th of a MPG per day...
I am now in the mid 28's...
The A/C season is over....I would have thought my mileage may bump up a little bit...
The odd problem is I feel like I am dragging an anchor around the past week.....the car feels sluggish off a stoplight....feels as though I have to push the accelerator a little harder to get up with the flow of traffic...
When you let off the gas it seems to slow down much faster.....it seems almost like the emergency brake is slightly engaged although not enough to trigger the light...driving in residential or city driving around 25 mph etc.....when you let off the gas to make a turn etc.....you don't even need to hit the brakes the car is slowing down on its own...

Took it to the dealer I purchased it from yesterday and they were worthless.....told me it was totally normal.....didn't listen one bit to the fact the avg econ has dropped over 1 mpg in the last week with no changes in route of driving style or other outside influencers.
Service manager claims he drove it and it felt totally normal and to bring it back when it acts up again......I didn't get a quarter mile down the road and I could feel the car was still slowing much faster than normal....
I've put 17k miles in 7 months so the seat of my pants is pretty well calibrated.....something is wrong here!!

Could it be that since the temp has been in the mid to low 30's lately that my AWD system is engaged and that is what is influencing the car???

Fire away!
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
460 Posts
I am NOT saying this applies to your situation but what you're describing is very similar to driving in a lower gear (i.e. S-mode or L).
Slightly lower gas mileage, rapid slowing when foot comes off the accelerator, having to accelerate harder to get up to speed.

These are CVT transmissions so it's not a gear shifting problem, but maybe some kind of software problem (?)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's really sluggish when you just started the car and want to accelerate immediately during cold weather but I notice after the "fix", acceleration is more responsive

The "fix" doesnt apply to me....Mine is a LX model so I have the 2.4L normally aspirated engine.

The sluggish acceleration is after the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the thoughtful responses everyone....
I had not factored in the winter blend of gas as a possible culprit to slightly lower economy
Still struggling with the feeling that I am dragging an anchor behind me...

With the bad experience I had yesterday with the dealer I purchased from I spoke with a different dealer this morning and scheduled in for next monday morning so lets see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You can also jack up each of the corners of the car in turn and ensure you aren't dragging a caliper. (Or, if you have an IR thermometer, just zap each of the brake discs. If one side is much hotter than the other, there's your answer.)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
now this is a solid thought....
I have double checked and I am def not in S or L mode however you raise a good point it feels like its gearbox related as there are no abnormal brake indications like pulling....I raised it off the ground and all 4 wheels spin easily, no hot calipers or rotors.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Is econ on?

I was going to ask that. With ECO on, accelerate the CRV is like pulling a wagon through deep sand. -1 Honda.

Also OP, I found Honda's MPG meter is not accurate. My most recent experience showed that Honda MPG indicated I had 26 mpg but when I filled up and did the calculation, I found it to be closer to 28 (27.9 something). Not to mention the also inaccurate estimate distance to empty. Another -2 Honda.

·
Registered
653 Posts
How about your gas supply? Are you consistently buying from the same station, or have you changed to a different one? If you're using the same station, perhaps their supply has significantly changed. It wouldn't hurt to try another "name brand" gas station.

We had a problem with a bit of sludge getting into our gas tank -- apparently their tanks had just been filled and there was a lot of sediment stirred up. The mechanic said it was the consistency of a soft tar-like substance clogging things up. Initially, the car ran really rough, and immediately improved from the service. It took 4 or 5 tanks of gas (with gas additive in each one) until the car was completely back to normal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was going to ask that. With ECO on, accelerate the CRV is like pulling a wagon through deep sand. -1 Honda.

Also OP, I found Honda's MPG meter is not accurate. My most recent experience showed that Honda MPG indicated I had 26 mpg but when I filled up and did the calculation, I found it to be closer to 28 (27.9 something). Not to mention the also inaccurate estimate distance to empty. Another -2 Honda.
yes the "ECON" mode is active.

The actual accuracy of the gauge is irrelevant, if the gauge reads high or low by 5% it will always read low 5%.....it isn't going to calculate a 5% error for months than all of a sudden have a 15% error.....a sudden change in fuel economy and the fact that now when you take your foot off the gas pedal, you can feel in the seat of your pants the vehicle decelerates at a much greater rate than it did two weeks ago when my avg econ was 29.9.
As for the actual distance to empty I am quite certain the algorithms err on the side of safety there and if the computer tells you that you have 15 miles to go you probably have slightly more.
I totally understand that winter fuel blends can negatively impact economy and I am fine with that......but I feel like I am pulling a small boat around all of a sudden!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How about your gas supply? Are you consistently buying from the same station, or have you changed to a different one? If you're using the same station, perhaps their supply has significantly changed. It wouldn't hurt to try another "name brand" gas station.

We had a problem with a bit of sludge getting into our gas tank -- apparently their tanks had just been filled and there was a lot of sediment stirred up. The mechanic said it was the consistency of a soft tar-like substance clogging things up. Initially, the car ran really rough, and immediately improved from the service. It took 4 or 5 tanks of gas (with gas additive in each one) until the car was completely back to normal.
yes consistently for the most part I buy solid brand name fuels.....no mom and pop out of the way independent stations that have God knows what in the bottom of their supply tanks!!

Even if I did get a tank of bad gas, the result is poor economy, not the feeling that when I take my foot off the gas the car slows significantly slower like the e-brake is partially engaged or something...that's the greater problem....if that can be found than the fuel economy will correct itself.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Check to see if you have a drag strip nearby. According to published specifications for the 2017 CR-V Touring it should be able to clock a 15.80 in the quarter mile.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts