Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 192 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I was driving my 2017 EX on the highway when the transmission started feeling strange. It was stepping down, then back to normal consistently even if I didn't change the pressure I had on the accelerator. Then all of a sudden many systems started reporting problems on my dashboard, all at the same time. Reported problems were:

• Brake System Problem
  • All Wheel Drive System Problem
  • Tire Pressure Monitor Problem
  • Electric Parking Brake Problem
  • Road Departure Mitigation System Problem
  • Collision Mitigation System Problem
  • Lane Keeping Assist Problem
  • Adaptive Cruise Control Problem
  • Hill Start Assist Problem
  • Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem
  • Anti-Lock Brake System Problem
  • Power Steering System (EPS) Problem
See attachments at the end of this, and a second post.

It goes without saying that we are very concerned as these are all safety systems that just started failing all of a sudden while driving. I stopped the car, turned it off, then back on, and all messages were still there. I turned it back off, walked away since we arrived where we were heading, had lunch, went back to the car, and this time, all error messages were gone. I called the dealership, but they said that since there was no errors anymore, they may not be able to diagnose it; then asked me that next time I should drive it straight to the dealership while the problem messages were still on.

Has anyone else experienced any issues with these many electrical systems at once? We drove for about an hour and a half after all error messages were gone, and they did not turn back on, but my wife is already saying she doesn't feel safe in the car and that she would freak out if she was driving alone and all those alerts and alert sounds started coming up all of a sudden.

I still plan to take it to the dealership in case the car has all the codes stored or something, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Problem reports on screen:

Brake System Problem:
20170311_202047048_iOS.jpg

All Wheel Drive System Problem:
20170311_202040767_iOS.jpg

Tire Pressure Monitor Problem:
20170311_202033694_iOS.jpg

Electric Parking Brake Problem:
20170311_202028089_iOS.jpg

Road Departure Mitigation System Problem:
20170311_202022417_iOS.jpg

Collision Mitigation System Problem:
20170311_202016512_iOS.jpg

Lane Keeping Assist Problem:
See 2nd post

Adaptive Cruise Control Problem:
See 2nd post

Hill Start Assist Problem:
See 2nd post

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem:
See 2nd post

Anti-Lock Brake System Problem:
See 2nd post

Power Steering System (EPS) Problem:
See 2nd post

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Lane Keeping Assist Problem:
20170311_202010539_iOS.jpg

Adaptive Cruise Control Problem:
20170311_202003566_iOS.jpg

Hill Start Assist Problem:
20170311_201837928_iOS.jpg

Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA) Problem:
20170311_201952289_iOS.jpg

Anti-Lock Brake System Problem:
20170311_201945350_iOS.jpg

Power Steering System (EPS) Problem:
20170311_201939012_iOS.jpg

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
There should be stored codes. In any case, if it happens again, I would have it TOWED to the dealer. Even if you don't have AAA, your warranty includes towing to the nearest dealer. My personal guess is that there's a problem with the ABS control unit (the electronic box bolted to the brake module near the windshield washer fill), as all the vehicle systems involved run through that module.

Keep careful documentation of your calls and service visits, and keep us updated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I agree with sirwired. Though I'm not a Honda expert, based on my experiences with other cars additional possibilities include battery (a chronic weak spot for Honda) and alternator.

Good luck and do keep us posted.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Had the same thing happen to me while driving on the interstate in town. Drove to my exit and by the time I got to the traffic signal at the exit all messages had ceased and have not reoccurred.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I took delivery of my EX on 1/31/17 and it did the same 8 days later.

It also would not shut off. I called Honda Roadside and 5 hours after the initial call around 6am, it was at the dealership. Snow was coming down and tow trucks had to attend to police calls as priority.

From the workorder...

Perform diagnostic steps codes U0104, P0864, U0101, U0155, B00D5-14, B12D0. All codes lead to system OK. Contact tech line. They advised switch known good Body Control Unit, this did not repair. Call tech line. They advised of issue with Trans Control Unit and switch with known good one. Transfer and this did not repair. Continued and found stuck circuit in Driver Multiplex Control Unit (MICU) Replaced with new one from Stock#848549. Program all units and clear codes from all systems. Perform all neutralizations and test OK.

The said they took the MICU out of another CRV on the lot as I was out of town for work. They gave me a loaner of a 2017 Accord Sport. They were able to get my vehicle back to me in about 5 hours.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
When you have multiple codes like that it is normally a communications issue. As most know the various electronic controllers in the vehicle communicate certain common data among themselves. If something interferes with the data stream or if one of the modals doesn't provide a certain piece of information that is expected from it you will start getting multiple codes. Of course the problem here is sometimes its hard to figure out which unit is causing the data issue. Sometimes the quickest fix is to plug in "known good units" until you find the one that is causing the big problem. Its not so rare these days.

·
Registered
26 Posts
When you have multiple codes like that it is normally a communications issue. As most know the various electronic controllers in the vehicle communicate certain common data among themselves. If something interferes with the data stream or if one of the modals doesn't provide a certain piece of information that is expected from it you will start getting multiple codes. Of course the problem here is sometimes its hard to figure out which unit is causing the data issue. Sometimes the quickest fix is to plug in "known good units" until you find the one that is causing the big problem. Its not so rare these days.
Agreed - some sensor is out of whack - throttle position, crank position, ground fault or a short - something like that. Once the car loses that bit of information, it rapidly turns into a cascade of mis-information, usually leading to "limp mode".

Warranty fix.

Good luck. Sometimes it takes two or three tries as these can be intermittent problems.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello everyone today my 2017 EX/L had the same thing happen described in the first post. I started my car and all these warnings and beeps started going off. I turned off the car and restarted and it happened again. I then put it in drive and started moving and everything went back to normal. Drove home about 40 mins and no warnings or problems. Really weird. I plan on contacting my dealer but was wondering how everyone else with this issue turned out? I had this CRV for almost 3 months and almost 6000 miles and this is first problem I've had. Thanks

·
Registered
96 Posts
I got Honda Sensing warnings twice. Both instances, I was waiting in the car with the ignition ON in a parking lot. The messages disappeared after I turned off and and turned on. There was no rain or excessive heat.

I had to manually turn RDMS back on after those messages.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for your reply, yes it was a clear day here also and windows clean. Every warning including TPMS, Brake Problem and all the Honda Sencing warnings popped up one after another. I seen here last night that others had the same experience and was wondering how their outcome was when they went to service dept.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just got off the phone with my service dept. He said they and Honda are aware of this problem and are working on a fix. He said I could bring it in to clear the codes but it's not a fix. Apparently were not alone in this problem. He didn't think it would do any harm till the fix is available. I told him other than this we love the CRV.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got off the phone with my service dept. He said they and Honda are aware of this problem and are working on a fix. He said I could bring it in to clear the codes but it's not a fix. Apparently were not alone in this problem. He didn't think it would do any harm till the fix is available. I told him other than this we love the CRV.
Thanks for the update. I took mine to the dealership and they cleared the codes, but at that time they were not aware of any known issue or anything they could do to fix or prevent this in the future. Good to know they now seem to be aware of the issue. Hopefully we get a service bulletin soon when Honda figures out what the problem is.

I have driven the car about 600 miles after I originally reported this, under both clear and very rainy conditions, and I have not experienced it anymore so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
219 Posts
All of the messages popping up like that are what happens when the car is first booted (electrical system connected). So, it seems that for some reason, the cars are rebooting themselves unexpectedly.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All of the messages popping up like that are what happens when the car is first booted (electrical system connected). So, it seems that for some reason, the cars are rebooting themselves unexpectedly.
Please see the attachments on my original post to see what are the problem our cars were reporting. When the car starts, it never reports those alerts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
One thing the service guy said was they seen a few 2017s with this problem and cleared the codes and haven't seen those cars back again. So tonight I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to clear any codes. And after reconnecting battery on startup it rebooted all the systems. So hopefully this will fix it. Can't hurt to try. Time will tell. This new stuff is all software driven and maybe a reboot is all it needs.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Please see the attachments on my original post to see what are the problem our cars were reporting. When the car starts, it never reports those alerts.

Yes, I understand the failure that you are experiencing. I was just indicating that the failure you're experiencing is the same as if the car was rebooted, meaning that it would appear as if something happened while you were driving that caused all of the systems to restart.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Yes, I understand the failure that you are experiencing. I was just indicating that the failure you're experiencing is the same as if the car was rebooted, meaning that it would appear as if something happened while you were driving that caused all of the systems to restart.
Thanks for clarifying. I think I misunderstood your first comment then (sorry about that). If I understand this correctly, you mean that the problems reported by the car can actually be the effect of the systems potentially rebooting while driving?

1 - 20 of 192 Posts